Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 AM

372 posts, read 220,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Which course?

Creationism isn't itself a subject but the content of a number of subjects.
And don't forget Voodoo Science. It is so very foundational to understand life, it's creation, and future. God might have created the Universe, but Voodoo created god - and I dare anyone to just try to PROVE it isn't so.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You expressed the fact that you were a bible "literalist". Which, in my mind, that you believe in the literal wording of the bible.

Now you're saying that you haven't read the whole bible.

Actually the bible doesn't go into the big bang, or how the Universe began it simply said that God saw nothing, and then there was something.

Sounds like a bang to me. The fact that scientists can test radiation levels, and the movement of stars, and that we know that the Universe is expanding from one central location, is pretty good indication that there was some kind of rapid expansion many years ago.

In my mind, rapid expansion means "bang".

That doesn't mean that there wasn't a creator, but there is no scientific evidence of this. There is also no scientific evidence of what the singularity is. However, we don't teach that it does in school. We tell children what we call it, but when they ask "what was it" or, "What was there before" we say "I really don't know" and we can go into theories (small t) if they are of an age to understand the meaning of the wording.

Religion assumes that there was a creator before hand, a fact that you can't really theorize or test, which means it should not be taught in school, but by parents and religious leaders.

Saying you believe in evolution, and the big bang, and that the world is more than 6000 years old, doesn't mean you don't believe in God. What it does mean, is that you have belief in the unknown, but thats not something we teach in school.
1. I never once claimed to have read the entire Bible. I have stated several times that I have not.

2. Genesis goes into the story of creation. It's one of the first things in the Bible.

3. Of course there's no scientific evidence of it and there never will be. That's why it's called "faith."

4. The Bible does not quote a time period.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Do the majority of Americans believe in creationism though? And do they believe it should be taught in public schools. That is the question. My mom is a Christian and she doesn't believe it should be taught in schools so believing in Christianity and wanting creationism to be taught in school doesn't go hand in hand.
Yes, the majority of Americans do believe in some form of creationism, I posted about this earlier based on a poll posted by someone else. The segment saying that there was no "creation," just strict evolution, is small. I don't know about the other question since I have yet to see a poll on it, aside from this one.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Thats what we don't want. We don't want our children taught something, that can't be proven. The proof of creation, lies from within, and years of self study and observation.
What about health class, are they allowed to teach about headaches? There is usually no scientific reason for a headache, you can't see it, it's a subjective experience, etc. Unless you have an aneurysm, brain tumor or chiari malformation or some other structural abnormality, there is no physical reason for a headache, generally speaking. Should we not teach about that b/c of the reasons I stated above?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yes, the majority of Americans do believe in some form of creationism, I posted about this earlier based on a poll posted by someone else. The segment saying that there was no "creation," just strict evolution, is small. I don't know about the other question since I have yet to see a poll on it, aside from this one.
Again - most Christians that believe in God still oppose religion being taught in schools as science. Our unscientific CD poll is actually in the ballpark on this.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you liken gay people to murderers, rapists, thieves, and bombs, then there is no debating with you.

And by the way, we teach about them all the time in school - it's called history class.
Oh, and a few of those are featured in the bible, too...

Seriously...think about going to school before deciding you're the authority on how education should be run.
I should think about going to school? I have a bachelor's degree, thankyouverymuch and went to the best high school in my city. I also never implied that I am an authority on how education should be run. I have opinions just like you, though.

I was not likening gay people to those others, I was stating that bad/wrong things exist and we should not be promoting these things in school. Yes, we teach about these horrible serial killers, etc. in history class, that is history, not "Today's lesson is about the gays. This happens when two people of the same sex are attracted to each other. Famous gays include Harvey Milk and Elton John." There is no history to teach there and also no relevance, why should that be included in the curriculum? I can see why they might touch on people like Al Capone and criminals and gays who had a major role in history but it's ridiculous to say that homosexuality should be taught in class. Yes, there were a few criminals in the Bible, a lot of them, and there were some gays, too, and their lives didn't exactly have happy endings....

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
But as has been posted repeatedly and which you have conveniently ignored.

Poll after poll shows that the majority of Christians understand the difference between scientific theory and legends from an ancient Book.

It is just the Evangelical southern minority raising all of this ruckus.
If you don't believe in the Bible in its entirety, you're not a Christian and therefore, whichever poll you're referring to is not valid.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If you don't believe in the Bible in its entirety, you're not a Christian and therefore, whichever poll you're referring to is not valid.
You mean you have to be a fundie to be a Christian? You take every word of the Bible literally? Then you must believe in selling ones daughter into slavery:

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-110)

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
You mean you have to be a fundie to be a Christian? You take every word of the Bible literally? Then you must believe in slavery:

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-110)

In a word, yes. While Sola Scriptura is not a REQUIREMENT, it is a very strong indicator of your belief. If you don't believe the Bible to be the infallible word of God, you may not be a heretic, but chances are that you are one.

1. It wasn't like slavery of the 1700-1800's. It was a much different thing.

2. Find me a verse telling us that we should have slavery. There are all kinds of verses regulating it--but nothing I'm aware of that commands it. It was a fact of life. God addressed it, yes.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Question All-powerful, all-knowing deities, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Find me a verse telling us that we should have slavery. There are all kinds of verses regulating it--but nothing I'm aware of that commands it. It was a fact of life. God addressed it, yes.

Silence denotes consent.

Does your bible have any verses condemning slavery? Was slavery the work of Satan and your god was unable to overcome his antagonist on this point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies