Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
"big bang theory proved wrong" Google query, About 9,800,000 results
You know the big bang theory is about the forming of the universe and has nothing to do with evolution right?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
"big bang theory proved wrong" Google query, About 9,800,000 results
proving the big bang theory - Google Search Oh look 27,500,000 results. That means I'm right by your reasoning. Lets stick to specific facts being presented instead of how many results you can find in google.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Well, you may have a point there, Ceece. BTW, nothing good on T.V. tonight?
There never is! But I have to say that after 7 years debating on a Christian forum I can not be sucked into this level of argueing again. I'll find some other threads to amuse me!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
I'll get into this more but I want to ask you what everything evolved from. You say man evolved from chimps, where did the chimps come from and why are we not seeing this evolution of humans from chimps happening today?
Well, Humans weren't the only species that came from Homo Erectus. Neanderthal was also a sub species of Erectus, Before Erectus was Ergaster, and so forth and so on.

Where I believe creation comes in, is at the very beginning. Something started all of this. Perhaps it was when life was formed, before that, who knows. The fact is no one knows yet. Evolution began after the first life began. That cell, or whatever it was, split, and became something else, and then split out into something else.

But we don't teach how life began in school. We touched on it, and God was even mentioned (this was in the 90's, so..)

Yes, we studied the big bang, and proto planets and things of that nature. However, theories (little t) were thrown out as to how life began. It was mainly just those in the class, the teacher stayed out of it.

We may never be able to "disprove" a creator.

And yes, we've found smaller and smaller species that are mammal amphibian related. After all, whales are mammals, and they are in the ocean.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Since we have been around for millions of years it (humans from chimps) should be an everyday occurrence by now.
I don't even know how to respond to this stupidity. If you seriously believe this wow, just wow.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM

382 posts, read 302,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Students can go to Sunday school for that other garbage. Keep superstition and fairy tales out of the public schools.
Yep keep the garbage out of the schools like teaching kids to sing songs about Obama. Creationism is the only true thing to be taught not that crap yall want them to learn.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There are too many variables to teach anything "about" christianity in public school. It's for the protection of christians too becasue, believe me, you wouldn't want ME teaching your kids anything about religious beliefs. YOU want to do that, any way you like, and without my input. This is the beauty of seperation and I don't understand WHY christians never seem to get that part or it.
Good points, and I somewhat agree, I just do not want my Grandchildren being taught that man came from chimps as fact because it is not. it should be offered as the theory that it is and nothing more.

I also think that creation should be mentioned as another theory because it has not been scientiffically proved but IMHO most of America is Christian and Christians believe in the creation.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
I chose "No" because I am assuming that the poll is referring to teaching creationism as science in schools. Absolutely not - it's simply not science.

However, it does have a place in a Comparative Religion class... Though there aren't many of those in K-12..

Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
Yep keep the garbage out of the schools like teaching kids to sing songs about Obama. Creationism is the only true thing to be taught not that crap yall want them to learn.
How do these songs go? (the ones about Obama)

Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I don't even know how to respond to this stupidity. If you seriously believe this wow, just wow.
If you do not understand my point, then stupidity must be involved on your part. This is the typical response when you have NOTHING.

Let me try and make it EASY for you, six million years ago, man started evolving from a chimp. The next day another man began to evolve from another chimp and so on, and so on, so it should be happening daily by now.

Since man evolved from a chimp I guess woman did also and where is the evidence of that, or did woman have to evolve from a man who evolved from a chimp? Anyway they have had a long long time for all this to happen but I just don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies