Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That is simply not proven. What is this ancestor?
It is a proven fact. We do not know exactly what the ancestor was, but just as sure as you know you have a grandfather (or you wouldn't be here), we know that all the larger primates share a common ancestor.

Our DNA is like a genetic diary of our species. It records things - like the "scars" left by ERVs. Tracing them back at first, the scars are different. But when we go farther and farther back, looking at the older parts of our DNA that formed millenia ago, something strange happens.

The scars we have are the same ones, in the same places, in the other apes. This proves that we inherited the same DNA as our cousins the great apes did. This cannot be unless we all had a common ancestor from which we all descended.

It is not a question of belief. You either understand the science, or you do not, or, as I expect will be the case with you, simply reject the facts no matter how compelling the evidence because these facts threaten your literal interpretation of Genesis.

"The molecular sequence evidence gives the most impressive and irrefutable evidence for the genealogical relatedness of all life."

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 4

Here is an explanation in more lay terms:

VWXYNot?: Endogenous retroviruses and the evidence for evolution

Snippet:

Now that several genomes have been sequenced, we have begun to test these predictions. The patterns of ERV insertions observed in modern species exactly match the predictions made by the model described above. Some insertions are shared between humans and mice and represent truly ancient viral infections. Others are found only in primates, and not in other species, obviously derived from an infection of the ancestral primate species after its divergence from other lineages. More modern insertions are found only in humans, while the youngest ERVs of all are found in some humans, but not in all. We do not find any examples of ERV insertions shared by, say, humans and mice, but not by chimps. Insertions are always shared by all species, and only by those species, that have a common ancestor. ERV insertions therefore provide excellent support for the theory of evolution by common descent.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
lol...ok. And that explains why the crowd followed him around, expecting him to feed them more? Or why the Gospel writer included it in the first place? It's really quite laughable the extent people go to try to explain the miracles.
It is really quite laughable how many people have to believe in supernatural events to legitimize a perfectly good religion.

Like I said, marketing. It is the only rational explanation.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It is a proven fact. We do not know exactly what the ancestor was, but just as sure as you know you have a grandfather (or you wouldn't be here), we know that all the larger primates share a common ancestor.
I don't consider that to be a "fact". It's speculation. It's just not proven.
Quote:

Our DNA is like a genetic diary of our species. It records things - like the "scars" left by ERVs. Tracing them back at first, the scars are different. But when we go farther and farther back, looking at the older parts of our DNA that formed millenia ago, something strange happens.

The scars we have are the same ones, in the same places, in the other apes. This proves that we inherited the same DNA as our cousins the great apes did. This cannot be unless we all had a common ancestor from which we all descended.

It is not a question of belief. You either understand the science, or you do not, or, as I expect will be the case with you, simply reject the facts no matter how compelling the evidence because these facts threaten your literal interpretation of Genesis.

"The molecular sequence evidence gives the most impressive and irrefutable evidence for the genealogical relatedness of all life."

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 4

Here is an explanation in more lay terms:

VWXYNot?: Endogenous retroviruses and the evidence for evolution

Snippet:

Now that several genomes have been sequenced, we have begun to test these predictions. The patterns of ERV insertions observed in modern species exactly match the predictions made by the model described above. Some insertions are shared between humans and mice and represent truly ancient viral infections. Others are found only in primates, and not in other species, obviously derived from an infection of the ancestral primate species after its divergence from other lineages. More modern insertions are found only in humans, while the youngest ERVs of all are found in some humans, but not in all. We do not find any examples of ERV insertions shared by, say, humans and mice, but not by chimps. Insertions are always shared by all species, and only by those species, that have a common ancestor. ERV insertions therefore provide excellent support for the theory of evolution by common descent.
I understand the concept...not convinced, tbh. The "science" around it makes a lot of assumptions.

The thing is...we share 50% of our DNA with bannanas...but no one thinks we're related to them. Honestly...it's what you want to believe. If you want to believe we evolved so you don't have to believe in a creator, fine. I believe all those similiarities point to a common designer.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Likewise, it doesn't mean that evolution is any more viable because of these theories. I can observe gravity directly...you can't say that about evolution.

Or...it's entirely possible to look at that DNA evidence and conclude a common designer. And what "fossil record" are you referring to? There are gaping holes in it.

Please do explain. I am somewhat aware, but I'm not a subject matter expert.
How can you observe gravity directly?

i can throw an item up, that won't come down. It simply requires enough velocity to overcome the gravity of the Earth.

You can't see it, yet you know its there.

We know that we are genetically similar to fossils found, and we have a living example of evolution in the canine species.

Also, Rabbits, who eat their own poop to survive, because they were once meat eaters, and evolved to eat veggies. They have to eat their own poop, because they don't absorb enough nutrients the first time through to survive.

Countless other examples. Saying evolution happens, doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. Evolution didn't start life, that we know of, yet we aren't sure about that either.

The fact is, we know evolution started from day 1, after life started. Changes in species over time, lead to a large variety of different animals, all sharing a common ancestor, that changed into two things, that changed into four things, that changed into 8 things.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Likewise, it doesn't mean that evolution is any more viable because of these theories. I can observe gravity directly...you can't say that about evolution.
Yes, you absolutely can say it.

You have been seriously misinformed.

Quote:
Or...it's entirely possible to look at that DNA evidence and conclude a common designer. And what "fossil record" are you referring to? There are gaping holes in it.
No, the DNA evidence does not support that conclusion. It doesn't rule it out, but it does not support it.

There will always be holes in the fossil record, some of which won't ever be filled. That's why we have alternate means to test the validity of evolutionary hypotheses. And when tested, they prove true.

When Creationist "hypotheses" are tested (to the extent they have any testable ones), they invariably fail.

Quote:
Please do explain. I am somewhat aware, but I'm not a subject matter expert.

You need to be. Evolution is not a simple matter, understanding it fully requires some knowledge of science.

Creationists are counting on your ignorance.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Nuh uh.. You first have to prove that Satan didn't create those 'scars' to trick you into thinking that evolution is proven!

...and that God wouldn't wave his finger to stop Satan from deceiving you.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
I understand the concept...not convinced, tbh. The "science" around it makes a lot of assumptions.

The thing is...we share 50% of our DNA with bannanas...but no one thinks we're related to them. Honestly...it's what you want to believe. If you want to believe we evolved so you don't have to believe in a creator, fine. I believe all those similiarities point to a common designer.
Actually... your second paragraph proves that your first paragraph is false. You clearly do not understand the concept at all. You certainly did not read the links that were provided you, because the proof is not merely "similarities" between genomes.

Furthermore, the pattern of similarities cannot be called evidence of common designer, because it is directly contradicted by the evidence of the only "intelligent designer" that we actually know exists; human beings. There is no analogy between intelligent design and "intelligent design" that can survive the most superficial examination of detail.

You have shown only the ability to mouth unoriginal creationist platitudes. If you have any desire to actually understand the evidence and science, though, we're happy to walk you through some of it. It does not, though, appear that you really are interested in such a thing.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Yes, you absolutely can say it.

You have been seriously misinformed.
When was the last time you directly observed evolution?
Quote:

No, the DNA evidence does not support that conclusion. It doesn't rule it out, but it does not support it.

There will always be holes in the fossil record, some of which won't ever be filled. That's why we have alternate means to test the validity of evolutionary hypotheses. And when tested, they prove true.

When Creationist "hypotheses" are tested (to the extent they have any testable ones), they invariably fail.

There are not just "holes" in the fossil record..there are gaping holes. Sorry...give me some real, verifiable evidence and we'll talk.
Quote:

Creationists are counting on your ignorance.
I could say the same about evolutionists. Honestly...it's a fairy tale for grownups. It sounds like a nice theory...and it works for those that don't want to believe in a god...but it's fairy tale. It's so unproven and has so many holes in it.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
When was the last time you directly observed evolution?
Last Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
There are not just "holes" in the fossil record..there are gaping holes. Sorry...give me some real, verifiable evidence and we'll talk.
What transition would you like to discuss? Reptile > mammal? Fish > amphibian? Ape > human?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Assumptions based upon known facts.

Quote:
The thing is...we share 50% of our DNA with bannanas...but no one thinks we're related to them.
Au contraire, anyone who ascribes to abiogenesis would argue that all plant and animal life is related if one traces back the origin of life on earth.

Quote:
Honestly...it's what you want to believe. If you want to believe we evolved so you don't have to believe in a creator, fine. I believe all those similiarities point to a common designer.
I think you are projecting your own insecurities, i.e., you can't believe in evolution because it threatens your belief in your "creator", not because evolutionist wish to discount a belief in a god. There are quite a few god fearing evolutionist.

On a personal note, as an atheist, I evolved out of Christianity not because I didn't want to believe in God (I would very much like to) but because of an ever growing and insurmountable collection of evidence makes such a believe irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies