Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why would the GOVERNMENT try to rule over RELIGION

maggiage is a religious thing

theses gays are only in it for the money, and greed...if they TRUELY loved the other person a piece of paper would NOT MATTER
Not everyone gets married in a religious context...but rather in front of a Justice of the Peace....that's how my aunt and uncle were married.

So I guess if you told them they weren't really married they'd be okay with that...? good luck convincing them.

And as for your last statment, what about the millions billions of straight couple...were they paid off to get married....do the women have to provide a dowery to the husband's family. Yup, thanks for this, I needed a good laugh before bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
why would the GOVERNMENT try to rule over RELIGION

maggiage is a religious thing

theses gays are only in it for the money, and greed...if they TRUELY loved the other person a piece of paper would NOT MATTER
My marriage has nothing to do with religion.

I guess then you would be willing to accept the same terms, right? If you truly loved who you are with, a piece of paper would not matter.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:44 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Marriage is also a classification in civil marriage. By civil marriage I mean one granted by the states, not by the churches. Voting for a same sex classification of marriage that is the same as the heterosexual classification of marriage is not infringing upon rights of religious groups.

All civil marriage bills should not force religious institutions to modify marriage practices.

And in regards to Hawaii, there aren't any same sex civil unions at all. It is preferable to have same sex civil marriage of the same type (and with the same rights and responsibilities) as heterosexual marriage, but it is good to have same sex civil unions at minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Then they have civil unions in civil society, but I guess the governor, as quoted in that particular article, is just another name for same-sex marriage and killed it.

It's really ironic how people want to force religion to recognize same-sex marriages. If they want to be married, why use the church that openly discriminate homosexuality?

EDIT: And you just HAD to leave me a visitor's message with the same drivel? Really? Hilarious.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Quite pathetic. The bright side is Lingle is term limited and former Congressman Neal Abercrombie is pretty much certain to be the knew Governor and does favor this bill. So in the end, it basically gets delayed by 6 months to a year.

Abercrombie will be a shoe in, there is really no other candidate that is worth running against him. He has always had Hawaii and its people support and looks out for the best interest of the state.

Wish he had run sooner.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
NO ONE has EVER been denied making a decision as long as they have a LEGAL POWER OF ATTOURNEY (sp?)

when I was deployed in Iraq...even my wife had to have a POA, otherwise she would NOT BE ALLOWED to make any decisions.....marriage means NOTHING
Actually there was a story out of California I believe last year. 2009, in which gay couples were in fact denied power of attornies in a hospital setting.

But here is an entire article on the topic. Please enlighten yourself.
For Same-Sex Couples, Equality in the Hospital - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

Oh if it means nothing, as you so eloquently put it, why not just give it to gay couples, so this, a presumably civilized nation, can put it all to rest and get on with the real matters of the day, such as the war you fought in.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Default Even though I don't have a problem with same sex unions

I'm always happy to see intolerant tax and ban liberals denied something they want.

Feels good don't it?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Reread my post carefully, without scalding emotions.
Scalding emotions? LOL! You were preaching in another thread about freedom and liberty. Where is freedom or liberty when the government (or a church) says no, you cannot partner up with the one YOU choose. Please be consistent, Lariat.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. It is NOT. A civil union allows only rights in the State where issued. A marriage can transfer beyond State lines due to the Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution. Or does the Constitution mean anything to you? Too bad that mannish thing didn't have a brain to know the difference.
I know about the Article IV, section 1. However, people hold little value to it. Other states have even ignored or denied it when it came to civil unions.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Actually there was a story out of California I believe last year. 2009, in which gay couples were in fact denied power of attornies in a hospital setting.

But here is an entire article on the topic. Please enlighten yourself.
For Same-Sex Couples, Equality in the Hospital - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

Oh if it means nothing, as you so eloquently put it, why not just give it to gay couples, so this, a presumably civilized nation, can put it all to rest and get on with the real matters of the day, such as the war you fought in.
please enlighten yourself...with out PROOF that a person is who they SAY THEY ARE, (ie marriage) anyone could be DENIED...its not just a samesex thing....you show your biasedness

when my wife was just my fiance, we got pregnant..the insurnace would NOT cover becuase we were not married..it would cover the baby once she was born, but not my girlfriend.....see its not just a samesex thing.

the fact is that this is what the samesex thing is about....its is about money, insurance and benefits...and you cant DENY THAT.....if it was about love and romance and partnership...then a piece of paper would not matter

you ask "Oh if it means nothing, as you so eloquently put it, why not just give it to gay couples"...... i say ABOLISH all marriages and unions......do I need the government giving me a LICENSE to marry/unionize????? what is she a car????

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Scalding emotions? LOL! You were preaching in another thread about freedom and liberty. Where is freedom or liberty when the government (or a church) says no, you cannot partner up with the one YOU choose. Please be consistent, Lariat.
why should you NEED a LICIENSE to be with the one you love......are you going to 'hunt' or 'fish' or 'drive' your partner...you need licienses for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies