Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,062,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
That's what I thought too .. but my wife won .. and here I am .. piece of paper and all.
Well, marriage is not just a paper - It also is a set of benefits, rights, and responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,986,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I actually thought Hawaii already had civil unions...Anyway.
Thank the good lord for New England I say. Founded this nation back in the 1770s, and after 400 years, still providing civil rights to its citizens.
except for Maine & Rhode Island

Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,782,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
except for Maine & Rhode Island
couples from RI can be married elsewhere and the state will recgonize the unions. And Maine...what can I say. We don't talk to them.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,839,009 times
This Nov every single state should vote. Wait most has already but every single state vote at one time. People agree and accept whatever the citizens vote.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,733,950 times
Another Republican vetoes another bill extending property rights to more people. I am not surprised. Just another Republican bigot shoving her personal views onto everyone else. The legislature should override and then the people should unelect this fool.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,461,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Another Republican vetoes another bill extending property rights to more people. I am not surprised. Just another Republican bigot shoving her personal views onto everyone else. The legislature should override and then the people should unelect this fool.
actually the governor said it well: I can not be the person to decide this, and this should not be something a legislation should decide, I hope the state can VOTE ON IT , so we can have a VOTE OF THE PEOPLE

kudo's to the governor for doing the correct thing

Old 07-07-2010, 07:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,443,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Good. Marriage is a scared tradition, and it's a shame the government had to step in as of late to make decisions when it should have been left to church.
From the Department of Irony .... if indeed "marriage is a sacred tradition", the good Governor would not be the person I'd want to see calling the shots!
Lingle was married and divorced twice. She married her first husband, Charles Lingle, while in college, in 1972. Upon leaving California for Hawaii, she divorced him in 1975 but kept the Lingle name. During her term as mayor of Maui County, Lingle divorced her second husband, Maui attorney William Crockett, to whom she was married from 1986 to 1997. Lingle is currently single and does not have any children.
Source

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,749,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
many straight people dont 'marry'

do I need a piece of paper from a church or a local government to tell me I love my partner.....NO

the fact is the gays want the BENEFITS... and marriage is a BENEFIT

cant put you lvger on your insurance....but marry the person, you can

get the point

I say abolish all marriages
But ain't it strange how so many of the ones wanting to deny marriage to same sex couples ARE married themselves? Ain't it strange how so much of the law governing relationships in general favors married couples over simple cohabitation? Tax laws, laws governing SS benefits, etc.?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
NO ONE has EVER been denied making a decision as long as they have a LEGAL POWER OF ATTOURNEY (sp?)
Tell that to the same sex partner who had the POA, the medical POA and a briefcase full of other legal documents and was still denied even the privilege of SEEING his partner because the family and the law decided he had no rights because his PARENTS were considered next of kin. Happens more than you might think.

Quote:
when I was deployed in Iraq...even my wife had to have a POA, otherwise she would NOT BE ALLOWED to make any decisions.....marriage means NOTHING
Nope - POA is only actually required when the decision being made requires your signature. Tax forms, legal documents, agreeing to medical treatments all require signatures. In which case, that POA tells authorities that you have given your spouse (or another person) the right to make those decisions and sign those documents for you.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Good for them for vetoing the bill. Marriage should be the ONLY form of recognition and only between a man a woman.
Did you even read the TITLE of this thread, much less the article? This wasn't about marriage. It was about civil unions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies