Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
The point is to blame evil whitey exclusively for all the worlds woes. The blacks built the pyramids but slavery was all whitey. etc. etc.
Where is anyone doing this in this thread?..........................

Nowhere? Oh.....carry on then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
"Ukraine was particularly targeted". Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious, or national group.

Genocide.

Stalin may have given the order at the top, but letting the Jews off the hook is like saying Nazis didn't kill Jews, it was all Hitler.

If Obama tells the Governator to murder ten million Americans and he does do, then Arnie is guilty of genocide as well.
Stalin did give the order. And his efforts against the Ukraine were so massive they could be considered a genocide. But the genocide was not Jews targeting non-Jews. It was Stalin targeting whom he considered to be political enemies. The people of the Ukraine were targeted because their opposition to Stalin's collectivization efforts was a POLITICAL threat to Stalin's authority. The people of the Ukraine were not targeted because of any ethnicity or religious factors. POLITICAL reasons.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
WELL nice try but where talking about colonialism and taking others land based on them being inferior, do you think by any moment an european govt or people would allow another country to take over there country just because.and wait you left out all the wars europe was having before it became a well established empire thats no different the things going on are between africans themselves and probably sponsored by europeans,chinese etc towards one group vs the other the hutsis vs tutsis is a good example of belgian meddling.

the united states after colonialism and taking over lands were not being practiced took islands in asia if they could have cuba they would take that to

europeans came here to seek freedom, but they denied it to others
Funny story, when the Pilgrims came here and made friends with the Indians, this tribe convinced the Pilgrims to help them fight a rival tribe. They did and won. I always thought this was kind of ironic, it being said that we threw them off their land.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I give founding fathers who were slaveowners NO CREDIT AT ALL, and certainly don't celebrate them as great men.

No credit at all for what? And when you name what you don't give them credit for, please support it with facts, not just opinions. Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Funny story, when the Pilgrims came here and made friends with the Indians, this tribe convinced the Pilgrims to help them fight a rival tribe. They did and won. I always thought this was kind of ironic, it being said that we threw them off their land.
Once again. the N.A. had no concept of owning land. They only understood the rights to live off the land. So throwing them off "their" land is not true at all. It was merely denying them the rights to the benefits to live off the land.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You highlighted:
This would include whether or not the men purporting freedom where simultaneously oppressing a race of people.

How does this suggest that I lay the blame for slavery at their feet? Instead, it supports my argument that any discussion about the FF's should include their status as slaveowners as it is in direct opposition to their fight for liberty, freedom, etc. So, sorry; you are wrong. I don't, and have not stated that I do, blame the FF's for slavery. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of those who were slaveowners.

If the topic of discussion is FF's, why is it necessary to bring up worldwide slavery? Should we also discuss the enslavement of blacks and non-blacks in other parts of the world? IMO, to bring up the fact the slavery existed elsewhere seems to let the FF's off the hook: "well, they did it....but so did these people!".
Perspective, plain and simple. History must be taught with the perspective and acknowledgement of the origin of the social and cultural norms of the time period being taught.

And yes, the language you use "purporting freedom while oppressing a race" indeed speaks for itself in laying the blame for slavery in the US at the feet of the Founding Father's.

You are backpeddling and inconsistent in your arguement and it is unraveling along with the credibilty of your stance, IMO.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
No credit at all for what? And when you name what you don't give them credit for, please support it with facts, not just opinions. Thanks
Actually, that's the point. It's my opinion (as indicated by the use of "I").

Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Maybe it would also be interesting to know how those founding fathers treated their slaves. Generally speaking, the treatment of slaves varied quite a bit, some slaves were treated like family, others like dirt...
Sure, good treatment doesn't excuse slavery, from our modern perspective at least, but still...

Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perspective, plain and simple. History must be taught with the perspective and acknowledgement of the origin of the social and cultural norms of the time period being taught.
I agree. However, when we're talking about teaching, it's important not to broaden a topic so much to the point that the original concepts, goals and learning objectives are lost. IMO, the discussion of FF's is specific and should address their lives, accomplishments, etc. It would even be beneficial to discuss, as someone suggested, their religion. But to discuss their status as slaveowners and then drag in how Africans were also slaves in Africa, etc is a bit much, IMO.

Quote:
And yes, the language you use "purporting freedom while oppressing a race" indeed speaks for itself in laying the blame for slavery in the US at the feet of the Founding Father's.
Sorry, no. No matter how much you repeat it, doesn't make it so. Is it really so hard to see how my statement is nothing more than my assertion that slaveholding FF's were hypocrites for denying the very freedom they left their homeland to enjoy?

Quote:
You are backpeddling and inconsistent in your arguement and it is unraveling along with the credibilty of your stance, IMO.
LOL; sure. Good thing it's only your opinion, because it's definitely not fact.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
And a general question to people in the thread.

Do we excuse the blatant stealing of Native American land .
No one "stole" anyone's land. The European settlers merely prevented the Native Americans from the benefits of the land they lived upon. I am not justifying this but only pointing out that you are under a misconception when you think Native AMericans had any concept whasoever of land ownership and "private proeperty".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies