Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

San Francisco would ban soda. The Religious Right would ban sex. I find the San Franciscans to be easier to tolerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I suppose that's why in liberal montgomery county m aryland you cannot buy liquor on sundays, but you can in conservative virginia.
Not sure if that is a liberal law or not. Texas has the same thing state wide and I was always under the impression it was a "conservative" measure. I absolutely despise far left, but far right can match it at times in their laws and regulations. Though to be honest, If I had to choose, I would pick the oppression of a far right system over that of a far left any day (talking in general policies, not extreme adaptions). At least with the far right system, no apologies are made when they stick it to you. The left will stick it to you and then act offended when you protest claiming they are your best buddy and care about you.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,238,528 times
Whenever the left bans something, the libs on here say "well move somewhere else!". So if Roe v. Wade were overturned, why can't I tell libs to just move to states where abortion remains legal in?

Why the double standard?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:44 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
San Francisco would ban soda. The Religious Right would ban sex. I find the San Franciscans to be easier to tolerate.
Yes, because nothing says I love you like putting your appendage in someones poop hole.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
..on city property.
We own city property. we pay for it. We should have the freedom to make the choice to drink a coke a cola if that is what we wish.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
We own city property. we pay for it. We should have the freedom to make the choice to drink a coke a cola if that is what we wish.
An exceedingly shallow evaluation of the matter. You do have the choice to bring in whatever you want to drink or eat, but the city government does not have to make it available for purchase on property, anymore than they have to put spaghetti on the menu at the cafeteria.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-08-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Sugary-drink ban starts to affect S.F. sites

BAN BAN BAN! I DON"T LIKE IT, IT SHOULD BE BANNED!
I can't wait until the ban themselves!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times
I can't get too mad at this because this refers to vending machines on city owned property. However, this is still a rather stupid and pointless move.

The only reason to be wary about it is because the tools who pass laws like this are interested in more than just city owned property.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Shallow evaluation of the matter. You do have the choice to bring in whatever you want to drink or eat, but the city government does not have to make it available for purchase on property, anymore than they have to make spaghetti and hot chocolate on the menu at the cafeteria.
They also shouldnt prevent you from being able to just because they want to make the choice for you that they dont feel its healthy.

Lets be real here this is about them thinking they should make the choice for you. I can see if they were making the choice between say Apples and Oranges but they offer a fruit. They should offer sugar and non sugar drinks. They shouldnt be limiting someones choice because they feel they know whats best.

it is after all public property. If they want to limit choices do so in their own home

Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I can't get too mad at this because this refers to vending machines on city owned property. However, this is still a rather stupid and pointless move.

The only reason to be wary about it is because the tools who pass laws like this are interested in more than just city owned property.
City owned? Who pays for that? Who pays the bills for that property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies