Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

So, every four years you elect a president, every four years in between you also have mid-term elections, and probably you have other elections as well along the way.
Since all those elections can bring about a profound shift of power, what does that mean for long-term politics?
This time for instance Republicans hope to and likely will gain a lot of power in the mid-term elections. And Obama might not be reelected.
What does that mean for the projects Obama has started? Will they be halted or undone? (This is just an example, in this thread I am not interested in the pros and cons of Obama's politics.)
Since Conservative ideas will not cure America's problems, either, after one or two more conservative terms people will turn to liberals again, and then to conservatives again, and so forth.

Will this constant back and forth ever bring about a solid, dependable, long-term direction for your country, a foundation people can count on and trust in when planning their lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Good topic and likely after the election, depending on how many seats the republicans pick up will make a difference in policy. It's unlikely they will pickup enough to take over the house or senate, or if any "tea party" candidates win office that could continue the interparty fighting. Though in the end "NO" will continue what it's been doing blocking even more what the dems come up with in congress, and Obama will likely continue to roll over in submission to the right even more than he's already been doing, leading to even more weaksauce right leaning bills and the decline of the country.
The problem with america is it always wants more and more. Take for example clinton who had it right, but bush won (or stole) the 2000 election and screwed everything up. It's pretty much been the motto of american politics that the democrats fix things, the republicans screw them up, then the democrats come back in and fix things, republicans screw it up,...and so on.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The problem with america is it always wants more and more. Take for example clinton who had it right, but bush won (or stole) the 2000 election and screwed everything up. It's pretty much been the motto of american politics that the democrats fix things, the republicans screw them up, then the democrats come back in and fix things, republicans screw it up,...and so on.
LOL. YOu have it exactly opposite but that's ok wouldn't expect any thing else!
Republicans get the country going in the right direction then the democrats mess it all up, then we have to fix it again. . .

And boy do we have our work cut out for us this time. Because Obama has really been performing to type and messing things up.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
When there is a change in politics every 4 or 8 years, I doubt that is enough time to conclude whether or not the past administration was successful. Sometimes improvements come later on when a new administration is already in office. So it is hard to clearly attribute success and failure.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, every four years you elect a president, every four years in between you also have mid-term elections, and probably you have other elections as well along the way.
Since all those elections can bring about a profound shift of power, what does that mean for long-term politics?
This time for instance Republicans hope to and likely will gain a lot of power in the mid-term elections. And Obama might not be reelected.
What does that mean for the projects Obama has started? Will they be halted or undone? (This is just an example, in this thread I am not interested in the pros and cons of Obama's politics.)
Since Conservative ideas will not cure America's problems, either, after one or two more conservative terms people will turn to liberals again, and then to conservatives again, and so forth.

Will this constant back and forth ever bring about a solid, dependable, long-term direction for your country, a foundation people can count on and trust in when planning their lives?
News and entertainment have blurred a great deal in my time on this earth. I remember as a kid watching adults watching some boring guy behind a brown desk saying, "This is what happened today", and the entire days events lasted 1/2 hour and included sports AND weather.

Look at this forum and you will see a reflection of our 24/7 news/opinion cycle in the form of ~ blurbs ~. The one line post responses dominate and most people will look at a single page of text and refer to it as a "wall". We seem intent on condensing everything down into its most simple of forms so we can get it past our teeth with the fewest number of syllables.

One result of this I expect to see with greater frequency is the lack of desire or inability to "ponder" a theme, concept or subject. Digest an argument, think about it for more than .0000043 seconds and consider its merits. When print news dominated the landscape, it allowed people to read their morning paper, then think about what they read for the rest of the day. Today it is little more than a constant stream of information intermixed with opinion and people are simply overwhelmed by it and don't have nearly the time to give information the deeper consideration they ought to.

If you notice, that since the arrival of the internet domination of information and the ease in which it is offered to the population, that our politics and dare I say, global politics is taking on more and more of a mob like mentality. Not just in the direct democracy fashion but also in its bar room brawling atmosphere.

Pardon if I may humor you but I think we would all be so much better served if CNN, FOX, and MSNBC (and like stations) would fire every single person in their news and entertainment divisions and just put a news crawler on the screen that says, "This is what happened today", instead of here is what happened today and this is how you should feel about it.

As to any profound shifts taking place in politics, I would say we are actually seeing a profound shift for the first time in a very long time. People are having tough time in the real world and for the first time in decades, folks are seeing things as a vertical argument as much as a left and right one. Do you not find it a little funny that both left and right have for years talked about the sheep getting off their duffs and doing this or that? Now that people actually are, it seems everyone is freaking out which is no surprise considering it is the first time in my adult life I've seen a truly angry population of people in America.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Remember the joke about the Bipolar Bear? A real mean one, like a polar bear but with heads at both ends. "How does it relieve itself?" you ask. It doesn't, that's why it's so mean! And that's why politics is so mean today.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

With any luck, future elected presidents won't be so polarizing and will actually foster bi-partisanship to get things accomplished. This is what Obama promised as a candidate, yet he has failed miserably to deliver on that and is seen by many as the single most polarizing president in recent history. Until he gets voted out of office in 2 years, I expect the republicans to block his agenda and bide their time until a real leader can replace this asshat.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:55 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,063,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Pardon if I may humor you but I think we would all be so much better served if CNN, FOX, and MSNBC (and like stations) would fire every single person in their news... divisions
You have to have a news division so that you can have someone to fire in the first place.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:26 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
You have to have a news division so that you can have someone to fire in the first place.
Touche'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies