U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,278,085 times

Advertisements

Naturally, Gen Y'ers think the premise of this thread and article are flawed. Ironically, I was sitting in the hot tub at the gym tonight when two men struck up the exact same conversation. The verdict? Many people fear for this nation when an entitlement-minded government represents a generation of kids whose helicopter parents saw to it that they were breast-fed until age 25.

Very scary indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,187,640 times
I like my grandparents generation. I liked the kind of people who built the Chrysler building. Each generation will have something to contribute, and something to destroy. Never forget that.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM

13,145 posts, read 19,608,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Naturally, Gen Y'ers think the premise of this thread and article are flawed. Ironically, I was sitting in the hot tub at the gym tonight when two men struck up the exact same conversation. The verdict? Many people fear for this nation when an entitlement-minded government represents a generation of kids whose helicopter parents saw to it that they were breast-fed until age 25.

Very scary indeed.
Um... doesn't that really just prove that two guys in a hot tub + you see it that way?

What about me and mine who hold down decent jobs, have families, homes, get our only handouts from mommy and daddy on the Thanksgiving dinner table and have made and are trying to make decent lives for themselves? You can't say the entire generation is that way... it just isn't.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,739,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I like my grandparents generation. I liked the kind of people who built the Chrysler building. Each generation will have something to contribute, and something to destroy. Never forget that.
The baby boomers did not contribute much of anything and they destroyed everything.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 PM

60 posts, read 36,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Job-Hungry College Grad Proves Picky Eater : NPR

Have a feeling older folks will commit suicide rather than face the future with these spoilted brats in any positions of power.

Sounds like this kid had parents that went to the school taught by Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and the Kardashians parents on how to raise spoiled little brat kids

Such a shame that SOME of the youth are so misguided

Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,187,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The baby boomers did not contribute much of anything and they destroyed everything.
yes tell that to all of the pediatricians, firemen, teachers, brain surgeons,

Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 PM

12,368 posts, read 17,254,864 times
Most Generation Yers I know, myself included, would and do work fast food, retail, and grocery store jobs until we can find something better. Do I focus the vast majority of my energy on finding professional and office employment? Of course, but I still go door to door around me looking for minimum wage work to hold me over.

I graduated from a top 35 university that is in the top 10 for my program. I also would move across the country for a $40,000 a year job- heck, my one possible job lead right now (waiting to hear if I got an offer or not) is 500 miles away and pays around $30,000. On that I'll have to move, buy furniture, and buy a car while moving to an economy that is a lot worse off than where I am now, but that's what I might have to do. I'm not turning down any offers at this point.

I think generational gaps are even wider now because sensationalist media shows celebrities, dumb kids like the one in the article who turned down the 40K a year job, and all other negative parts of this generation. They don't show hardworking kids who are just trying to catch a break. I think there is something to be said for how hard it is to get an entry level job right now. I can't get a grocery store job because I'm "overqualified", can't get a waitressing job because restaurants know I'm only doing it for the paycheck (and I have no restaurant experience), and can't get an entry level job because many employers won't count my internships or part time work experience. It's hard for everyone, but it's incredibly hard for young grads who might not have a support network, don't qualify for unemployment, and are often saddled with huge loan debt. Many of our parents are unemployed so it's not possible for all of us to go sit on mommy and daddy's couch (I'm on my boyfriend's couch, but I'm incredibly lucky to have that there). Our story doesn't get told because its not nearly as exciting as a dumbass who turns down a 40K job.

I have a lot of hope in my generation. There are plenty of good ones out there, but the good ones never make the news.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM

13,145 posts, read 19,608,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
AHHHH!! You guys are STILL doing it, but now at the boomers!?

How on god's green earth can you generalize and/or blame a single generation for anything!? There are millions of boomers and millions of Y'ers. In each there are philanthropists and welfare queens, criminals and heroes, good and bad and a lot of folks somewhere in the middle. They constitute millions of people raised in millions of different circumstances across all socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds this country has to offer. The only thing they have in common is that they were born in roughly the same 20 year time period, which really isn't saying much, considering the entire current population of the planet would have been born in 1 of 4 (5, if you are really lucky) 20 year generations.

Why do people generalize and stereotype so easily? It's like saying all Russians are drunks, all French are womanizers (even the women apparenty), all English people sit in overstuffed leather chairs and smoke pipes in dark paneled libraries and all Brazilians walk around naked all day. It just isn't so!! So why must some people continue on and on with this infantile idea? Please! Expand your horizons!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,278,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Um... doesn't that really just prove that two guys in a hot tub + you see it that way?

What about me and mine who hold down decent jobs, have families, homes, get our only handouts from mommy and daddy on the Thanksgiving dinner table and have made and are trying to make decent lives for themselves? You can't say the entire generation is that way... it just isn't.
It proves that all 6 of us in the hot tub, 3 men and 3 women, who are from different backgrounds see the current generation of kids as spoiled brats who wouldn't know sacrifice from a hole in the ground. The only sacrifice *most* of you know is that it's taking a little longer to get a job these days than it did in recent years. The example in the OP is not a fluke - it's widespread. Those of us who have hired/fired/worked with these kids see a vast difference between them and their parents and grandparents. And many of us don't feel the difference is for the better.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,247,989 times
You can read about one person and think a whole generation is like him? I know many Y's and X's who are hard working and contributing to our country.

But apparently they should be resting up since they have to clean up the mess left by the boomers. That's what the boomers did to clean up the mess from the greatest generation. And that's what the greatest generation did to clean...oh you get it.

Last edited by Catrick; 07-09-2010 at 12:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies