U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,246,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
AHHHH!! You guys are STILL doing it, but now at the boomers!?

How on god's green earth can you generalize and/or blame a single generation for anything!? There are millions of boomers and millions of Y'ers. In each there are philanthropists and welfare queens, criminals and heroes, good and bad and a lot of folks somewhere in the middle. They constitute millions of people raised in millions of different circumstances across all socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds this country has to offer. The only thing they have in common is that they were born in roughly the same 20 year time period, which really isn't saying much, considering the entire current population of the planet would have been born in 1 of 4 (5, if you are really lucky) 20 year generations.

Why do people generalize and stereotype so easily? It's like saying all Russians are drunks, all French are womanizers (even the women apparenty), all English people sit in overstuffed leather chairs and smoke pipes in dark paneled libraries and all Brazilians walk around naked all day. It just isn't so!! So why must some people continue on and on with this infantile idea? Please! Expand your horizons!
Great post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 PM

12,689 posts, read 17,134,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But he's a special little snowflake!

My first job out of college from a top 25 school paid me $8.40 an hour. I had jobs in college that paid more..
In defense of the poor young fellow, as a Boomer I have a contemporary Phd friend who lost a professorship in a major school in Alaska (shouldn't be too specific here) and at my urging returned to the SW where I assisted him with a place to live until he got on his feet. During this period he turned down a teaching position in a small town branch of one of NM's larger schools although I urged him to take it since he wanted to remain in academia. He now is nearly sixty doing grant work when he can find it with little hope of even a mediocre retirement. My point is that snowflakes are not limited to Gen Yers or any other American generation.

BTW, my first job out of college from a virtually unknown SW school paid about $6.50 an hour and I gleefully traveled nearly 1,000 miles to take it.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,008,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
You can read about one person and think a whole generation is like him. I know many Y's and X's who are hard working and contributing to our country.

But apparently they should be resting up since they have to clean up the mess left by the boomers. That's what the boomers did to clean up the mess from the greatest generation. And that's what the greatest generation did to clean...oh you get it.
Amen!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 AM

15,587 posts, read 23,640,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
...Have a feeling older folks will commit suicide rather than face the future with these spoilted brats in any positions of power.
Not quit quite, but :-) :

Professor Terguson: Is she right? 'Cause I know that's the *popular* version of what went on there. And a lot of people like to believe that. I wish I could, but I was *there*. I wasn't here in a class room, hoping I was right, thinking about it.
[shouting]
Professor Terguson: I was up to my knees in rice paddies, with guns that didn't work! Going in there, looking for Charlie, slugging it out with him; While
[shouts]
Professor Terguson: pu*&(*& like you were back here partying, putting headbands on, doing drugs, and
[shouts]
Professor Terguson: listening to the goddamn Beatle albums! Oh! Oh! Oh!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 AM

12,689 posts, read 17,134,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Not quit quite, but :-) :

Professor Terguson: Is she right? 'Cause I know that's the *popular* version of what went on there. And a lot of people like to believe that. I wish I could, but I was *there*. I wasn't here in a class room, hoping I was right, thinking about it.
[shouting]
Professor Terguson: I was up to my knees in rice paddies, with guns that didn't work! Going in there, looking for Charlie, slugging it out with him; While
[shouts]
Professor Terguson: pu*&(*& like you were back here partying, putting headbands on, doing drugs, and
[shouts]
Professor Terguson: listening to the goddamn Beatle albums! Oh! Oh! Oh!
Hilarious movie.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 AM

1,335 posts, read 2,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It proves that all 6 of us in the hot tub, 3 men and 3 women, who are from different backgrounds see the current generation of kids as spoiled brats who wouldn't know sacrifice from a hole in the ground. The only sacrifice *most* of you know is that it's taking a little longer to get a job these days than it did in recent years. The example in the OP is not a fluke - it's widespread.

I'm waiting for the Abe Simpson style rant about your time in Vietnam...

Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 AM

29,216 posts, read 20,196,324 times
i don't think this one guy necessarily reflects his generation. but he seriously needs to get a grip on reality, and realize that his poli sci degree does not in any way make him special and deserving of something 'better' than $40K a year in a crap economy.

his gramps does seem a bit wacky:

Quote:
“I view what is happening to Scott with dismay,” said the grandfather, who has concluded, in part from reading The Economist, that Europe has surpassed America in offering opportunity for an ambitious young man. “We hate to think that Scott will have to leave,” the grandfather said, “but he will.”
oh yeah, there are jobs a-plenty for Americans in europe, where the unemployment rate is even higher than it is here

grampa, again:

Quote:
“Scott has got to find somebody who knows someone,” the grandfather said, “someone who can get him to the head of the line.”
right. why should special scotty have to start at the end of the line with the rest of the schmoes?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM

19,116 posts, read 27,198,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It proves that all 6 of us in the hot tub, 3 men and 3 women, who are from different backgrounds see the current generation of kids as spoiled brats who wouldn't know sacrifice from a hole in the ground. The only sacrifice *most* of you know is that it's taking a little longer to get a job these days than it did in recent years. The example in the OP is not a fluke - it's widespread. Those of us who have hired/fired/worked with these kids see a vast difference between them and their parents and grandparents. And many of us don't feel the difference is for the better.
Maybe your 'friends' who have companies who hire these 'kids' are the ones with issues.

Nearly our ENTIRE company consists of 'kids' between the ages of 18 and 32. The owner of our company is only 32, 7 of our pilots are under 28 (and we just hired a new one who JUST turned 23) and the oldest mechanic we have just turned 30 a few weeks ago.

So yeah, we're all hard workers, all quite young and all quite motivated to do our best.

Sorry if your 'friends' company can't recruit those types of people.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM

3,630 posts, read 4,824,248 times
As long as the material standard of living keeps increasing, the younger generations will seem like they're more entitled. Isn't that what parents are supposed to strive for--a better life for their children? When it's achieved should anyone be surprised that they don't appreciate small things as much?

And yes, of course there are some misguided souls out there. I've run into far more whip-smart and hard working 20-somethings than I have lazy, entitled ones. Perhaps that's because they smart ones are the ones getting hired. Those who expect things handed to them are just going have to learn the hard way that they rarely are.

One thing I have noticed is that the value of college degrees has decreased as a larger percentage of the population has earned them. It seems like a bachelors degree in a general subject is about as valuable as a high school degree was fifty years ago. Perhaps society should reconsider the purpose of post-secondary education. College now just seems like something people do after high school and not something meant to train the best and most dedicated students for more challenging careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies