Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Mexico in 1993 I could buy my birth control pills over the counter without a prescription. The exact same brand/manufacturer, strength, etc. Not only could I buy them over the counter, they cost me $1.00 per month -- $3 for a 3-pack box. I was paying out-of-pocket over $25.00 a month in the U.S. at the time, as they weren't even covered by health insurance.

The only thing I will add as a caveat is, if we're going to sell oral contraceptives over the counter, we'd better make damn sure our kids are getting GOOD sex education that includes information on how to use them and the risks and dangers. If there isn't a doctor advising young women about the importance of not missing a single pill, taking them at the same time every day, and using another form of contraception if they're taking antibiotics, then teachers had better be teaching it, because you know the parents sure won't.

And that right there is precisely why I don't envision it happening any time during my lifetime in this country, sad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well there are many bacterial STD's in which a woman shows little or no symptoms of, but they are carrying. It may take a few days or several weeks, but when a man gets the symptoms they are obvious. So, add that with my comment above and you get my answer.
What does any of that have to do with using BCP?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No.... but not because of morality.... but because birth control pills mess with hormones and maybe its best for women to be checked out by their doctor before jumping on the pill, in case they are not suitable candidates for the pill.
^^This. I had to try many different types of BC pill before I found the one with the right hormone balance. I do believe a woman should see a doctor before being prescribed the pill. There are many women's health clinics that offer a sliding scale (like Planned Parenthood) for payment, which is what I did when I didn't have insurance.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"Should birth control pills be sold over the counter?"

Only if the woman can provide proof she has no STD's.

Do not take this the wrong way, but there are plenty of ignorant people (men and women of all races) that think birth control prevents getting STD's.
Shall the woman provide a certificate of proof at the checkout counter?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
No.... but not because of morality.... but because birth control pills mess with hormones and maybe its best for women to be checked out by their doctor before jumping on the pill, in case they are not suitable candidates for the pill.
I mostly agree with this. The problem with the way things have been set up is that the medical community basically forced pelvic exams on women before giving or renewing BCP perscriptions. It's changing now, since pelvic exams aren't necessary on an annual basis anymore for most women. But it's still an issue, especially for young women. There is nothing about a pelvic exam that effects the use of BCP's. Not that I'm against them for health screening, it's just not exam you need to know if you might have problems with the pill. That would mostly be a BP check, unless there were some kind of serious health issues.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure that's enough of a reason to keep them from being OTC.

Last edited by Ceece; 07-08-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Agreed. Women should be evaluated by a physician before taking BCPs, and they should have annual physical exams while taking them.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times
No way in hell they should be.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
NO THEY SHOULD NOT. Birth control pills are not candy. What if some woman with some medical condition buys them and they are contraindicatedf ro her conditon. She may not realize this and end up suffering some complication.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Shall the woman provide a certificate of proof at the checkout counter?
Yep. As well as signing a waiver.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I would like them in bubble gum machines if they were safe for all women. FREE. Free birth control !
You can't be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies