Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,751,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This post is for both of you. None of you have any legal basis for what you said. Why? Because Social Security and Medicaid are FEDERALLY FUNDED programs. If the states want to let homosexuals get the benefits of such programs, the states can't accept federal funds for such programs
Do gays pay into those funds? May be we should start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,889,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
So I assume that you're out in the streets each day, picketing government involvement in straight marriage with the same furor that you're showing on this site against gay marriage? Or at least writing letters to your representatives to abolish legally recognized marriage? If not... hypocrite...

Yea right with all the hate crime laws now they may as well have protested in Sodom and Gomorrah !

You people are too smart for your own good, laws of nature always win over the laws of deviantcy . Usually people don't stop it, fate does .

Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,952,431 times
Quote:
Did you just equate LGBT rights to the Civil Rights struggle in the 60s? If you did, hope you know that is very insulting to black people and other minorities
I AM a "minority" (Mexican American). It's not insulting. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Civil Rights struggle was THE grand-daddy of them all that was fought for decades, fought by every minority group in this country, not just black people, although they carried the greatest burden. Mexican Americans brought cases to court back in the 30s, 40s and 50s in CA and TX. The struggle for gay equality does not compare (imo) to that Civil Rights struggle, but it is indeed a miscarriage of justice and an insult to the US Constitution.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,066,259 times
Quote:
Did you just equate LGBT rights to the Civil Rights struggle in the 60s? If you did, hope you know that is very insulting to black people and other minorities
"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people. ... But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream, to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people."

"Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany Ga and St. Augustine Fl, and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement. Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own"

"We have a lot more work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination. I say 'common struggle' because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination."

-Coretta Scott King

Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,934,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Kindred spirits. Gays are attacked, brutalized, marginalized, ostrasized all the time. All minorties must fight for their rights at some point.
i can not see gays as minorities they have just recently adopted that. being gay is a choice you chose what your sexual preference is wether it is something you are born with no one has proven that theory yet but whether they are or not many choose to be, this does not put them in the same catagory as race. you can not choose your race.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,066,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
i can not see gays as minorities they have just recently adopted that. being gay is a choice you chose what your sexual preference is wether it is something you are born with no one has proven that theory yet but whether they are or not many choose to be, this does not put them in the same catagory as race. you can not choose your race.
You can change your race just as you can change your sexuality. Haven't you ever heard of skin bleacher?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,609,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
I think that's a poor argument as it relates to civil rights and protection under the law. Religious affiliation is protected in civil rights laws, and there's no doubt that you choose your religion. Regardless, professional medical and psychological organizations generally agree that sexual orientation is not something we choose. That's really an old argument at this point, and I have trouble understanding why some people still continue to insist that people choose their orientation.

Quote:
Is Sexual Orientation a Choice?

No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.
Sexual Orientation, Homosexuality,and Bisexuality

Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,849,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I AM a "minority" (Mexican American). It's not insulting. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Civil Rights struggle was THE grand-daddy of them all that was fought for decades, fought by every minority group in this country, not just black people, although they carried the greatest burden. Mexican Americans brought cases to court back in the 30s, 40s and 50s in CA and TX. The struggle for gay equality does not compare (imo) to that Civil Rights struggle, but it is indeed a miscarriage of justice and an insult to the US Constitution.
I'm a minority too (Puerto Rican born in Puerto Rico) and it insults me greatly. You can't help being born black or whatever skin color so it doesn't equate at all

Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,609,216 times
Quote:
You can't help being born black or whatever skin color so it doesn't equate at all
I don't understand why that would be considered a valid argument. Americans are protected under the law for their religious affiliation, which is obviously a choice - much more so than sexual orientation.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,849,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand why that would be considered a valid argument. Americans are protected under the law for their religious affiliation, which is obviously a choice - much more so than sexual orientation.
Apples and steak. Religion is not considered abnormal and against human nature unlike homosexuality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies