Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times

Advertisements

First off, I never received a census in the mail. Went online and sent an email that I never received one...was referred to a phone number in their response. Finally, when I received it in the mail it arrived THE DAY it was due and therefore I quickly responded and turned it around in the mail THAT DAY.

I included my daughter in the survey because they had the option for a college student.

At school, in another state, they canvassed my daughter to complete the census. I told her NOT to complete it because I already counted her and that would be unethical to be counted twice.

Yesterday...a doorbell ringing, door knocking, INCESSANT POUNDING on the door while I was at work (we don't answer unwanted door visits as our neighborhood is a no-soliciting neighborhood) caused my daughter to finally find out who it was with a cell phone in hand to call the police.... A CENSUS WORKER stating...WE NEVER DID THE CENSUS!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!!! He proceeded to complete the information asking the questions to my daughter.

SO WAIT Let me get this right....First they DON'T SEND ONE and complain no one is turning in their census. Second, "I" have to request one and then get it THE DAY IT's DUE and make the effort to complete it and MAIL IT that same day. Third, they try to get my daughter to count herself TWICE. Fourth, they show up and say WE NEVER FILED!

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture???

Debate the validity of the census. It certainly cannot be accurate. It cannot be helpful if you are counted more than once and in several states as they tried to do with my college daughter. What good is it if the numbers are that screwed up. I can only imagine what kind of numbers we got out of such as screwed up mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,023 times
I must have gotten yours in my mail....
I got 2 forms, several letters and several people knocking on my door.

This state they insisted with counting all college students - even if they did have a "home" state as they determined the students were technically residents...

Although i agree with the basic concept of the census, I have found this years census to be a manipulative joke.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I'll tell you what else the census does. I know because I'm working for them. We have to mark down if a house was vacant as of April 1. If vacant is it a seasonal (vacation) home. We live along two of the largest lakes east of the Mississippi River so there are a lot of vacation homes. After the first round of census was done, they get another crew to check on those vacant homes to see if they really were vacant then. And now the THIRD crew is working on checking what the second crew found out, and there will be another crew after that!
As for not getting a form, from what we were told, and this seems to be the way it was around here, if you have a post office box you wouldn't get a form. The form is for "the house at 15 Main Street" and not "the Jones family", so they wouldn't know you have a P.O. box.

One man really fave me a good laugh. You know how some people blame Obama for everything under the sun. Like if a leaf fell off their tree, it was Obama's fault. I hit the real winner a few weeks ago. He didn't know why President Obama had to start something like this census! I told him I didn't think the President was that old, considering the first census was in 1790.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 AM

442 posts, read 965,389 times
Our great government at work They are creating jobs oh and I received 3 forms in the mail sent one back and 2 different people came to have me fill it out. If another person comes I will have them fill it out for my animals

Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 AM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
I recieved one form. Forgot to send it in. Got one person who was very nice at my door. Guess it worked for me.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
college students !

Why not count them where they are registered to vote ?

In a city near me ( 70,000) the school levy supporters made a valiant push to register every college student before the 08 election.

They then got to vote to raise property taxes for the new levy.
The levy passed by a narrow margin. It was defeated by residents in all precincts, but passed by an overwhelming margin in the University precinct.

Yet when those college residents were called for jury duty, they insisted they were not resididents of that city/county.

(despite registering and voting on the city school levy )

Liberals love to list the residency of college students wherever it will benefit their agenda.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
I agree, this Census is a joke. For now. It's what Obozo will do with the information that worries me.

The results will probably tabulate the country being 40% Latino, 20% Black, 10% Asian, 10% Other and 20% Caucasian. A shoe-in for the 2012 election, making ACORN a minor player this time.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
The government would find a way to screw it up even if they had totally accurate numbers.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I recieved one form. Forgot to send it in. Got one person who was very nice at my door. Guess it worked for me.
Who would have thought that trying to count 300 million plus individuals by contacting them through an agency that handles, on average, 534 million postings a day, would make mistakes. God what kind of country do we live in!

PS - We got ours, mailed it in and have seen hide nor hair of a census worker since.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
you dont like census workers do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies