Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Homes are NOT investments...

But where did they move to? I would assume that they walked away from their current mortgage after buying another home at a better price.. I bought another home that was 6,000 sf at a 50% discount 2 years ago, and still hold my original home.. I could very well consider walking away due to financial issues if I wanted to ignore the credit issues which would come from such actions.

But to the rich they often are.

Most middle and working class people will scrimp and save and fight to keep their home. If you are rich and have three homes, losing one isn't going to hurt anything but a credit score or investment portfolio.

My only hope is that, where they can, banks are going after them for deficiency judgments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
I can't speak for anyone else but I blame EVERYONE that took out mortgages they could not afford AND the banks for giving loans they knew people could not afford.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Working people could not and cannot afford to speculate on their housing so, except for the very gullible, tended to buy within their means. The main reason for workers defaulting are medical bills and/or unemployment.

Relatively wealthy, but not really rich, people saw the possibilities of getting much wealthier by speculating and "flipping" homes. This speculation was fueled by very low interest rates and insignificant margin requirements. The first in made bundles of money and, if they pulled out in time, managed to screw others out of their money.

Thus it makes sense that most defaults were caused by people that thought they had enough money to gamble on houses. In many cases they guessed wrong and cannot make their margin calls and there is no body wants or needs to buy the houses at the speculatively inflated prices.

Sometimes a gambler will roll a seven and sometimes a snake eyes.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some people treat them as such.
Just goes to show how foolish some people are..
Quote:
Rent, move in with mom and dad, buy a smaller place at the bottom of the market, pay cash. Lot of cash buyers out there these days. At least in Florida.
Just goes to show that the rich are taking advatage of the current economic downfall to pickup deals..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But to the rich they often are.
Actually to the rich they are expenses, not investments..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Most middle and working class people will scrimp and save and fight to keep their home. If you are rich and have three homes, losing one isn't going to hurt anything but a credit score or investment portfolio.

My only hope is that, where they can, banks are going after them for deficiency judgments.
Are you hoping they do the same to the poor, or is it class envy you are displaying?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Rush Limbaugh claimed that Blacks and Hispanics were responsible for mortgage defaults.
WOW , he did ! Can you link to the transcript ? Or are you telling a lie ?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
He could be accurately quoting Limpjaw and still spreading a lie.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Yes, there are those who default because they can afford the ARMs etc, but the article ways "Biggest Defaulters on Mortgages Are the Rich".

Well if you want to be acurate, the article did not say that, the headline did.

Also it is probably not true. The article points out that 1 in 7 mortgages over a million dollars are in danger of default as opposed to 1 in 12 of those less than a million. But there are far more mortgages under a million than over so in the aggregate there are probably more dollars owed by the smaller mortgage holders than those over a million.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
This is a ridiculous article (NY Times / ridiculous..who would have thought) because if you read the article..they are comparing apples and oranges. There are vastly more mortgages under $1 million that are in default than there are over $1 million. But if you manipulate the data, so that we can blame all the "rich people" for the financial crisis..well it's a shame to let a good crisis go to waste...it is statistically plain wrong and deceiving...but it is typical liberal dribble trying to stir things up to get their far left cooks re-elected..and it is not going to work this time...

Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Working people could not and cannot afford to speculate on their housing so, except for the very gullible, tended to buy within their means.
Heh if you could have pulled this out from any deeper you hand would have been four feet into your small intestine.

There have been so many profile stories about people buying more than they could afford and a very large portion of them are in fact working/middle class folks. People who make 35k and bought the 300k house with the ensuing anger at the bank for letting it happen has almost become a cliche for the housing crisis, yet here you are declaring it didn't happen it was all evil rich people trying to make money speculating in real estate.

Wealthy and upper middle class did it too, but there was certainly subprime mortgages with rate adjustments kicking people in the butt who were middle/working class.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Regardless if the government "pushed" these loans onto people (which I don't think they did); but it's no one's fault but the people who agreed to it. I got pre-approved for $200,000 on a home loan, but that doesn't mean I can afford it... People are dumb and when things backlash they have to blame someone, b/c it definitely wasn't their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies