Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM

425 posts, read 366,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
In her speech, the first lady focused on the issue of childhood obesity and her "Let's Move" initiative, but outside of her remarks, anti-Tea Party activism has been a key focus of the gathering, which conservative leaders say is driven solely by a political agenda.

Exactly HOW did you miss the part about Michelle Obama giving the keynote speech on OBESE CHILDREN and nothing more? It's in your own link.

Exactly HOW is it that the topic of OBESE CHILDREN "rouses" NAACP to take a vote condemning Racist Elements of the Tea Party??
THe NAACP is now a racist organization. Everything is broken and we have a race war brewing. It s about time people started fighting here instead of overseas. The Union is dead and revolution is coming big time. Now the Native American blood will be vindicated as this nation of greed consumes itself. God Dam DC and the rotten masses. The house is divided , Yippeeee!!! You think I can get Fox to give me a time slot ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If he really wanted to honor our military he wouldn't have picked this date, it's as simple as that. He picked it so he can ruffle feathers and politicize the event rather than have any true support of our service men and women.
There is nothing special about this date,it is not honored in any way as being special...I have my suspicions as to whether most of the usual suspects even knew about the significance of this date PRIOR to being told...

'Useful idiots' seems to fit.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,465 times
Glenn Beck is just another conservative puke wrapping himself in a flag he never served.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Glenn Beck is just another conservative puke wrapping himself in a flag he never served.
Are you asserting that a person must have served BEFORE talking about the country?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Are you asserting that a person must have served BEFORE talking about the country?
The Military does not need cheerleaders, they need men and women to serve. If Beck wants to wrap himself in the flag he should have gone when it was his turn. He's just another conservative wimp.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
The Military does not need cheerleaders, they need men and women to serve. If Beck wants to wrap himself in the flag he should have gone when it was his turn. He's just another conservative wimp.
So to 'wrap yourself in the flag' a person must first serve in the military?

Could you define the term 'wrap yourself in the flag',perhaps give an example of this?

The reason I ask is I will want to make sure you hold EVERYONE to the same standard.

It would be unfortunate if a different standard is applied to pundits you agree with,as that would make you out to be a hypocrite.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Wouldnt you say whites are leeching off the words and deeds of blacks, in this instance?
I think this is the most ignorant post in this entire thread, demonstrating a lack of understanding of MLK and what 'his words and deeds' were really about. Or, perhaps you are so politicized that you are blind to anything more than a simple application of black vs white. Either way, it's shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
The question should be:

Was MLK day deliberately chosen to provoke.
A little late to the party huh?? MLK day is in January.

As for that date itself, who cares...it's not the relevant part. It's not even the first time MLK used the 'I have a dream' theme for one of his speeches....only the most memorable.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
Attention Moderators this is not a copyright violation, the author encourages sharing this article:

Why Are The New Orleans Saints Being Used To Help Glenn Beck Raise Money For His 828 Rally?

Before, I get into the story, let’s get you up to speed:
On August 28, Glenn Beck is planning a rally in Washington DC. According to Mr. Beck, he intends on picking up Martin Luther King’s mantle and plans to “restore honor” to America. How does Glenn Beck intend on restoring honor? Well, by being as exploitative and dishonorable as possible.
Notably, Glenn Beck has chosen to hold the rally at the Lincoln Memorial on the anniversary of MLK’s “I I have a dream” speech. Mr. Beck’s feeble and pathetic attempt to coopt MLK’s legacy has drawn the ire of civil rights leaders and organizations. Mr. Beck rebuffed this criticism, asserting: “Blacks don’t own Martin Luther King.”
But, wait…
You see, the rally isn’t really a rally at all. It’s actually a giant stealth book launching event for Glenn Beck’s upcoming book, which is currently titled “The Plan.”
It gets worse…
Glenn Beck is raising money for this rally…err…book launching event tax-free! He’s doing that by using a charity called the Special Operations Warrior Fund. He’s soliciting tax-free donations for the event under the guise that the donations will go to “help the troops.”
But, if you read the fine print, you’ll notice that all donations go to pay for the event first; any leftovers will then be given to the charity. Oh, and it’s unlikely that they’ll be any leftovers. Glenn Beck has previously estimated the cost of the event at $2 million and so far they’re not anywhere close to raising that amount. As an aside, I wonder if Sarah Palin will be charging her usual speaking fee for this event? Or, if she’ll forgo it in order to “help the troops.”
Ugh, but there is on last kick in the gut…
The Special Operations Warrior Fund is a charity that benefits wounded veterans and their families. Sure, it’s contemptible that Glenn Beck would exploit the idea of helping wounded veterans in order to raise money tax-free for a political rally…err….book launching event. But, here’s the kicker…
Glenn Beck suggested that the purple heart is dishonorable and has trashed the purple heart as a progressive plot. Accordingly, he plans to begin the event by doing away with purple hearts and awarding his own version of it (emphasis added):
Glenn Beck: Today, we announced the first 15 minutes of the 8-28 event and the people that will join me on stage. We announced that we are going to start — restart the badge of merit that George Washington gave his troops. It’s what the Purple Heart is based on, except the progressives — what a surprise — in 1933 introduced the Purple Heart.
The Purple Heart was based on the badge of merit by George Washington. It had nothing to do with being wounded in action. It had everything to do with doing something of honor and integrity, something to — something that — where you really put your neck out and you did something of real merit, not just getting shot — not that that’s –
But he was trying to build people that understood honor and merit and integrity and God.
That’s right, Glenn Beck plans to “restore honor” by trashing purple heart recipients as lacking honor and integrity.
So, given that the 828 event is a giant scheme to further enrich Glenn Beck by exploiting tax-free donations to help wounded veterans, who he plans on trashing anyway.
One of the ways that Glenn Beck is raising money is by way of an auction. He’s auctioning off all kinds of stuff, like a scholarship to Liberty University, dinner at the Glenn Beck mansion or a lunch date with Karl Rove.
But, there’s one recent addition to the auction stands out. Tom Benson, the owner of the New Orleans Saints, donated (http://www.charityfolks.com/cfauctions/auction_bid.asp?auctionid=19364&catname=Sports&mci d=10959 - broken link) “4 Plaza Level Tickets & Exclusive Pre-Game Field Passes to a New Orleans Saints NFC South Home Game of Your Choice”
Based on how disgraceful Glenn Beck’s 828 event really is, any reputable business person or organization should not be helping Glenn Beck raising money for a book launching event. Moreover, given that
Glenn Beck called Hurricane Katrina victims “scumbags,” the use of The Saints to raise money for Glenn Beck is even stranger.
Oy.
Take a moment to contact The Saints and urge them to not to help Glenn Beck raise money for Glenn Beck’s book launch event.

http://stopbeck.com/2010/07/13/why-a...his-828-rally/

Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Attention Moderators this is not a copyright violation, the author encourages sharing this article:

Why Are The New Orleans Saints Being Used To Help Glenn Beck Raise Money For His 828 Rally?

Before, I get into the story, let’s get you up to speed:
On August 28, Glenn Beck is planning a rally in Washington DC. According to Mr. Beck, he intends on picking up Martin Luther King’s mantle and plans to “restore honor” to America. How does Glenn Beck intend on restoring honor? Well, by being as exploitative and dishonorable as possible.
Notably, Glenn Beck has chosen to hold the rally at the Lincoln Memorial on the anniversary of MLK’s “I I have a dream” speech. Mr. Beck’s feeble and pathetic attempt to coopt MLK’s legacy has drawn the ire of civil rights leaders and organizations. Mr. Beck rebuffed this criticism, asserting: “Blacks don’t own Martin Luther King.”
But, wait…
You see, the rally isn’t really a rally at all. It’s actually a giant stealth book launching event for Glenn Beck’s upcoming book, which is currently titled “The Plan.”
It gets worse…
Glenn Beck is raising money for this rally…err…book launching event tax-free! He’s doing that by using a charity called the Special Operations Warrior Fund. He’s soliciting tax-free donations for the event under the guise that the donations will go to “help the troops.”
But, if you read the fine print, you’ll notice that all donations go to pay for the event first; any leftovers will then be given to the charity. Oh, and it’s unlikely that they’ll be any leftovers. Glenn Beck has previously estimated the cost of the event at $2 million and so far they’re not anywhere close to raising that amount. As an aside, I wonder if >Sarah Palin will be charging her usual speaking fee for this event? Or, if she’ll forgo it in order to “help the troops.”
Ugh, but there is on last kick in the gut…
The Special Operations Warrior Fund is a charity that benefits wounded veterans and their families. Sure, it’s contemptible that Glenn Beck would exploit the idea of helping wounded veterans in order to raise money tax-free for a political rally…err….book launching event. But, here’s the kicker…
Glenn Beck suggested that the purple heart is dishonorable and has trashed the purple heart as a progressive plot. Accordingly, he plans to begin the event by doing away with purple hearts and awarding his own version of it (emphasis added):
Glenn Beck: Today, we announced the first 15 minutes of the 8-28 event and the people that will join me on stage. We announced that we are going to start — restart the badge of merit that George Washington gave his troops. It’s what the Purple Heart is based on, except the progressives — what a surprise — in 1933 introduced the Purple Heart.
The Purple Heart was based on the badge of merit by George Washington. It had nothing to do with being wounded in action. It had everything to do with doing something of honor and integrity, something to — something that — where you really put your neck out and you did something of real merit, not just getting shot — not that that’s –
But he was trying to build people that understood honor and merit and integrity and God.
That’s right, Glenn Beck plans to “restore honor” by trashing purple heart recipients as lacking honor and integrity.
So, given that the 828 event is a giant scheme to further enrich Glenn Beck by exploiting tax-free donations to help wounded veterans, who he plans on trashing anyway.
One of the ways that Glenn Beck is raising money is by way of an auction. He’s auctioning off all kinds of stuff, like a scholarship to Liberty University, dinner at the Glenn Beck mansion or a lunch date with Karl Rove.
But, there’s one recent addition to the auction stands out. Tom Benson, the owner of the New Orleans Saints, donated (http://www.charityfolks.com/cfauctions/auction_bid.asp?auctionid=19364&catname=Sports&mci d=10959 - broken link) “4 Plaza Level Tickets & Exclusive Pre-Game Field Passes to a New Orleans Saints NFC South Home Game of Your Choice”
Based on how disgraceful Glenn Beck’s 828 event really is, any reputable business person or organization should not be helping Glenn Beck raising money for a book launching event. Moreover, given that
Glenn Beck called Hurricane Katrina victims “scumbags,” the use of The Saints to raise money for Glenn Beck is even stranger.
Oy.
Take a moment to contact The Saints and urge them to not to help Glenn Beck raise money for Glenn Beck’s book launch event.

Every time I watch Glenn Beck, that scene from the movie, "A Clockwork Orange" comes to mind. The guy strapped to a chair, eye lids forced open in front of the big screen seeing the behavior modification films.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Glenn Beck is having a rally to honor the military and "restore honor" to our country at the Lincoln Memorial on August 28.
August 28 is the anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, "a defining moment of the American Civil Rights Movement", at which Martin Luther King Jr. delivered the "I Have a Dream" speech.

"Delivered to over 200,000 civil rights supporters,[1] the speech is often considered to be one of the greatest and most notable speeches in human history and was ranked the top American speech of the 20th century by a 1999 poll of scholars of public address.[2]"

It was one of your country's pivotal moments.

Because Glenn Beck has never indicated that his goal is to unite or even to encourage understanding among Americans of different races or political persuasions, many find it ironic at best, hateful and bullying at worst that he would choose the anniversary of this brilliant moment in human rights history for a vaguely-themed rally ("Help us restore the values that founded this great nation") that has nothing to do with unity or peace but which will feature such other famous uniters as Ted Nugent.

This is Beck, equating himself and his listeners to the brave people who fought and who died for civil rights:

Beck: "Martin Luther King's dream is being massively perverted. ... It's time to set it right" | Media Matters for America

Many people are upset by Beck's choice of date for his rally.

I think that unless Beck is trying to be provocative, he would have picked a different date. If he werent full of hubris and insensitivity, he would have chosen any other date but this one. There are 364 other days in the year.

Do you think Beck should have chosen a different date?
Why in the world should he???
He is an American.
How many of our ancestors died in the civil war to free black people???
Who do you think you are to even suggest that Glenn Beck should not be able to use that date?
He admires Dr. King AND his speech.
My ancestors FOUGHT in the Civil War and I have the swords and uniforms to prove it.
He has MY permission for that date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies