Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times

Advertisements

Aren't both similar? Possibly no difference at all?
Nationalism is often associated with xenophobia; ideological, political, racial, ethnic, and religious exclusivity; the desire to oppress those who are different; militarism; and go to war. Isn't patriotism the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Patriotism is when the leaders lead the soldiers to defend their land.
Nationalism is when leader order the soldiers to defend their personal and corporate interests, while they go about waving the flag as high as they can, while a boat load of puppets run around propagating the message and praise their masters.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Nationalism is often associated with xenophobia; ideological, political, racial, ethnic, and religious exclusivity; the desire to oppress those who are different; militarism; and go to war. Isn't patriotism the same?
Example, Costa Rica hasn't had an armed force since 1948. Costa Ricans, to my knowledge, do not believe in the inherent superiority of Costa Rica or Costa Ricans (nationalism) but they do love their country and are proud of their country when it achieves some worthy goal (patriotism).

Merriam Webster:

Nationalism

1 : loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

Patriotism

1. love for or devotion to one's country

Old 07-09-2010, 02:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
quote=ovcatto;14967741]Example, Costa Rica hasn't had an armed force since 1948. Costa Ricans, to my knowledge, do not believe in the inherent superiority of Costa Rica or Costa Ricans (nationalism) but they do love their country and are proud of their country when it achieves some worthy goal (patriotism).
Ticos definitely feel that they and their nation are far superior to those nations surrounding them.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Merriam Webster:

Nationalism

1 : loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

Patriotism

1. love for or devotion to one's country
When analyzing the definitions one can see that they don't say very much, and can be interpreted by anyone as desired to promote their own ideologies.
Little changes like "nation' becomes 'country'.
So maybe there isn't much difference between patriotism and nationalism.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I would say that patriotism is showing pride and support in your country on various occassions in which it is important to show support or it could be everyday, constant without a always-present negative view of other countries. I'd say that nationalism is a constant, almost obsessive view that your country is better than other countries, that your country needs to be protected from influence from other countries and it could have negative effects unlike positive effects of patriotism.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM

344 posts, read 462,468 times
I define patriotism as loving your own country/people, and nationalism as hating other countries (and their people).

Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,160 times
It's a trick question . If your patriotic you lose no matter what you say anyway .

Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Patriotism 1. love for or devotion to one's country
I find that definition to be an example of confused thinking.

Why?

How do you define "country" that you're loving or devoted to?
Does country mean:
1. The dirt (geography)
2. The government
3. The people

What do patriots love with devotion?
[] The dirt (my dirt, their dirt, whose dirt?)
[] The government (whoa - not likely - based on the partisan infighting)
[] The people (certainly not all the people, if you think about it)

Patriotism is a vague term used to encourage others to sacrifice themselves and their property, in support of "something" that they can't clearly define.

I prefer mutual defense of property rights (as in inalienable rights to life, liberty, property ownership). That's pretty clear and to the point.

I like governments that are formed of people who cooperate in securing the rights of the people.

I dislike governments that are formed of people who cooperate in stealing the rights of the people. They may call themselves "patriots", but I think they're "something else".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies