Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,925,363 times

Advertisements

I liked the food analogy. So, I'm Butterscotch, Carmel, Molasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ack-white.html
Here's an example. I know from study and reading a few books about the actions of the press in reporting crime.
I know the little tricks pulled to make it look like more crimes are committed by blacks/AA and to comment on a few of them.
In the past, I would have commented on this.
Now, I won't.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
I liked the food analogy. So, I'm Butterscotch, Carmel, Molasses.

^^^^ Yummy some of my favorite desert toppings. LOL

Old 07-11-2010, 12:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I'm starting to become annoyed by the term "white".

I've ranted about this before too.

It's annoying when it's used alongside a politically correct term such as African American.

Example: African Americans were disenfranchised by the harsh laws, so were many poor whites.

That sentence can "fixed" in two ways.

• African Americans were disenfranchised by the harsh laws, so were many poor European Americans.
  • Blacks were disenfranchised by the harsh laws, so were many poor whites.
The inequality of the terminology in the original sentence itself just annoys me so much, so does this.

Here is a quote from the video.

"Asian American students consistently outperform their white classmates on standardized tests, and not just here."

This sentence irks me for two reasons:

• The politically correct term, Asian American, being used with the mainstream term, white
  • The stereotype of Asian students being smarter than everyone else
All students have the potential to be smart in their own way.

Because of the consistent use of the term white alongside "fancy" terms for minorities, I want to start being called a European American.

Thoughts? Opinions?
"smart in your own way" is a white wash. did your pass the math exam or not.
"i passed the SAT in my own way" does not work.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
"smart in your own way" is a white wash. did your pass the math exam or not.
"i passed the SAT in my own way" does not work.
As a matter of fact, I did. And FYI, math is very difficult for many people. Don't assume that all Asians are good at math. <I'm just saying.

Last edited by City Data Guy; 07-11-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 AM

I had a feeling I was going to regret making this thread.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:25 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I'm starting to become annoyed by the term "white".

I've ranted about this before too.

It's annoying when it's used alongside a politically correct term such as African American.

Example: African Americans were disenfranchised by the harsh laws, so were many poor whites.

That sentence can "fixed" in two ways.

• African Americans were disenfranchised by the harsh laws, so were many poor European Americans.
  • Blacks were disenfranchised by the harsh laws, so were many poor whites.
The inequality of the terminology in the original sentence itself just annoys me so much, so does this.

Here is a quote from the video.

"Asian American students consistently outperform their white classmates on standardized tests, and not just here."

This sentence irks me for two reasons:

• The politically correct term, Asian American, being used with the mainstream term, white
  • The stereotype of Asian students being smarter than everyone else
All students have the potential to be smart in their own way.

Because of the consistent use of the term white alongside "fancy" terms for minorities, I want to start being called a European American.

Thoughts? Opinions?

The other issue is that it is always acceptable to use whites as an inferior group, as in the video, but never blacks because that would be racist.

We all know Asians are excellent students. This is caused by strong traditional families that have yet to be tainted with American liberal horse shirt ideology.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The other issue is that it is always acceptable to use whites as an inferior group, as in the video, but never blacks because that would be racist.

We all know Asians are excellent students. This is caused by strong traditional families that have yet to be tainted with American liberal horse shirt ideology.
My gosh, that it is blood boiling.

Keep in mind that not all Asian ethnic groups are equal in school performance. The video even talks about it.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Cut the rhetoric.

I don't care if you have a personal preference or not?
That's what the whole AA convention was about.
I'm personally not going to ask every single black/AA person what they prefer to be called.
If there was an error on the side of trying to respect the wishes of the majority, just damn us for it.

Lliberals are trying to provide respect for a group based upon a request and we're damned.
What about the rednecks and rethugs and racists? Giving them a free pass?
Do you like some of the names I hear some of those guys call our darker skinned humanoid brethren? This is one of the most demeaning racist statements I've ever seen. You could have just said "darker skinned brethren", but no, you blatantly referred to darker skinned people as something less than human beings. Racism is the belief that members of one race are superior to another race. *Do you know what a humanoid is?* Your statement is clearly racist.
Yet you'll damn those trying to provide a respectful nomenclature for others.
Excellent approach, I hope it's successful for you.

Quote:
Well, isn't everyone a humanoid? If I were describing whites it would be lighter skinned humanoids. Big deal. This is backpedaling.

False umbrage.

I prefer to respect all groups, if I know them or not, from the onset.
Using a nomenclature that they prefer is one part of that.

Sorry for your chip on shoulder.

And now you're saying you don't refer to anyone as humanoid - below - more backpedaling

Quote:
I don't refer to anyone as humanoids.

*hu·man·oid*
adjective
nearly human, as in appearance or behavior

noun
a nearly human creature; specif.,
  1. any of the earliest ancestors of modern man

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 07-11-2010 at 03:33 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

This is because in order to further their argument for the existence of a race-based intellectual hierarchy, many whites have a tendency to posit themselves as naturally "inferior" to Asians, as if doing so somehow gives credence to the notion that blacks are in turn naturally inferior to everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies