Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM

15,442 posts, read 21,263,001 times

Advertisements

I've never thought about moving from Texas to New Jersey but, if it weren't for the sad predicament New Jersey is already in, this guy would make me consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,530,187 times
Privatization means giving productive organizations control of services that non-productive organizations refuse to improve upon (or even implement).

It's just that simple!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,555,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
If a call center can take over support for a companies product and reduce costs at the same time then privatization can provide government services at reduced cost. As for your car registration, at least you have a good chance of having an english speaking rep.

Let me give you a quick story about call centers. My auto club had the brilliant idea of sending their customer service operations to a call center in India. So I call them one Saturday evening, on a major highway, broken down. It took about a hour to even get me a rep, and when my "help" was dispatched, it was sent from a garage about 150 miles away. Seems that "Kevin" had no idea that there was such a distance between us. Needless to say, I didn't get any assistance, and that auto club lost a customer.

Overseas call centers reduce costs, all right. They also cause companies to lose business. I guess it's a wash.

As I heard later, the auto club fired the Indian call center, as they soon realized that they were monumentally incompetent.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,181,461 times
Feel free to tell someone else. I'm quite familiar with call centers... in the U.S. I was using a comparison to call centers... privatization of a customer support function. My concept is face to face, applied to driver's license as well. Government shouldn't be allowed to offshore government function.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,555,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Feel free to tell someone else. I'm quite familiar with call centers... in the U.S. I was using a comparison to call centers... privatization of a customer support function. My concept is face to face, applied to driver's license as well. Government shouldn't be allowed to offshore government function.
Actually, I agree with you. However, I do know that gov't is allowing the quasi-offshoring of certain functions to continue by allowing foreign H1Bs to perform certain sensitive IT tasks that they should never be allowed near.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,304,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Lets not forget, it was the privatization of motor vehicle and the lax security that allowed the 9-11 terrorists to obtain drivers licenses. I'm for privatizing some services, but this one NOT at all.
Government run departments of motor vehicles is no guarantee of higher quality service free of corruption.

License-For-Bribe Scandal (http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/George.Ryan.Larry.2.327151.html - broken link)

I wish Christie the best of luck turning his state around.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:36 PM

7,892 posts, read 9,094,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Vehicle inspection: now they can farm it out to politically connected contributors who hire convicted felons because they're cheap. A bag of donuts on the front seat, if you go in at 10:00 A.M., will get you through with no brakes.
You have NO idea what you are talking about. We have been privatized in NY forever and have some of the strictest emission and safety rules. All cars' data are recorded and uploaded via computer to the main DMV site in Albany. There are heavy fines or termination from the program for any company caught falsifying information.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,519,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Government run departments of motor vehicles is no guarantee of higher quality service free of corruption.

License-For-Bribe Scandal (http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/George.Ryan.Larry.2.327151.html - broken link)

I wish Christie the best of luck turning his state around.

Sorry, but all of this occured during the privatization of motorvehicle and NOT after McGreevy placed the control back in the States hands.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,463,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Lets not forget, it was the privatization of motor vehicle and the lax security that allowed the 9-11 terrorists to obtain drivers licenses. I'm for privatizing some services, but this one NOT at all.
Umm, how did getting my car inspected by my mechanic vs. the .gov increase terrorism?

Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,415,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Vehicle inspections are privatized in my state. It's no big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Same here all inspections and emissions are done at most garages where you take your car in for repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
You have NO idea what you are talking about. We have been privatized in NY forever and have some of the strictest emission and safety rules. All cars' data are recorded and uploaded via computer to the main DMV site in Albany. There are heavy fines or termination from the program for any company caught falsifying information.
Same here in California. Oddly, emissions seems to be one of the few things they actually care about, though. When I lived in Missouri, my car could fail inspection if a headlamp was out, if the horn didn't work, and a whole host of other road safety things that California doesn't even inspect for.

I'm against the idea of putting a "for profit" corporation in charge of running state parks, but I see no reason state workers shouldn't have to pay for their own parking just like the rest of us do.

Not sure about the prison services, though. The taxpayer will still have to pay for it, and who's to say it will be at a lower cost once a private, for-profit company takes over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies