Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

Ask BHO he is the one that increased troop strength and is keeping them over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
That is an old story.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
This is what we need, another thread that vilifies our armed forces. You cowards who sit your fat asses at home in front of your precious PC and bad mouth soldiers for what they say or do need to put your lives on the line for some fat asses who bad mouth you! I'll bet you would like a little more appreciation from the ones who sit and enjoy the freedom rather than being the one who has to fight for it!
If you don’t like them fighting in Afghan then call your local politician, that’s who has them there!

Geez, talk about bite the hand that feeds you!
I'm an Army veteran and as a man who has served his country I think that the General's comment was out of line and unprofessional. Even though I sometimes think that it's become a laughable cliche, a big part of any war effort is winning the hearts and minds of the people. A misstep like this one is a major PR faux pas, undermines our propaganda efforts, and only serves to further demonize our troops in the eyes of the everyday people in those two countries. A man who has attained the rank of General should know better. His words signify a definite lapse in judgement and are not to be commended.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,208 times
A man who has attained the rank of General should know better. His words signify a definite lapse in judgement and are not to be commended.[/quote]

Worse, attitudes like this devolve us to the level of our terrorist enemies. Even during WWII, where we had a real threat, we still maintained the rule of law. It's pretty discouraging to see my fellow Americans willing to toss away our reputation and ethics over a threat of far less severity.

Once we cross the line, there is no going back.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
relax francis. The General stepped on it, he has to take it. He's not going anywhere.

And you're little rant about those who have to fight for it...BS...they volunteered like a lot of others have. IF they or you don't want to do it, then don't sign up for the job. They knew that. You know that, and the hypocrisy of trying to have some sort of screed about it while ignoring that fact is just whining.

I'm sowwie, did I hurt your widdle feeling?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
F- this political correct bull****.

It is FUN to shoot those crazy islamo taliban freaks.

These are people who will throw acid on a young girl because she wants to go to school to learn to read.

Imagine a young Afghan Muslim girl who is completely disfigured for life and tell me you wouldn't mind blowing the Taliban to pieces with Hellfire missile.

Oh my, its so easy to call for the deaths of others. A Hellfire from an unmanned drone, piloted in Nevada by someone home for dinner with the family after blowing someone elses, half a world away, to pieces.

Most of the dead in this war are not the Taliban who threw acid in a girls face. Thats the futility of fighting them, and perhaps throughout history the only more futile wars of occupation fought by empires were the doomed invasions of Russia. Afghanistan holds a special place in history resisting occupiers for a reason, reasons our country literally has never understood. And dont care to. And didnt during Vietnam. And havent learned today. Even when some do understand its futility they are ignored, as they are trumped by money.

When a war does not have any strategic conclusion and moral imperative behind it, (i.e. to end repression, not cause it) it is usually unjust in the first place. There is little, if any, rationale for fighting in Afghanistan for a puppet govt. This war is being fought for weapons suppliers and defense contractors and their assorted feeder recipients. Lots of people die, lots of people get rich and dont see a scratch from all the fighting

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
This is what we need, another thread that vilifies our armed forces. You cowards who sit your fat asses at home in front of your precious PC and bad mouth soldiers for what they say or do need to put your lives on the line for some fat asses who bad mouth you! I'll bet you would like a little more appreciation from the ones who sit and enjoy the freedom rather than being the one who has to fight for it!
If you don’t like them fighting in Afghan then call your local politician, that’s who has them there!

Geez, talk about bite the hand that feeds you!

Preaching to the choir .Many here defend the muslims . It is a new fad now to hate your nation .

I think the rerason is most Americans are out working or looking for a job and don't have time to get online .

Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I'm an Army veteran and as a man who has served his country I think that the General's comment was out of line and unprofessional. Even though I sometimes think that it's become a laughable cliche, a big part of any war effort is winning the hearts and minds of the people. A misstep like this one is a major PR faux pas, undermines our propaganda efforts, and only serves to further demonize our troops in the eyes of the everyday people in those two countries. A man who has attained the rank of General should know better. His words signify a definite lapse in judgement and are not to be commended.

Nobdy has won the hearts and minds of the middle east and never will .

Bring them home .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies