Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
There is no earthly reason for Kindergartners to be taught ANYTHING about sex.
then tell that to the thousands of parents who have to deal with their children being abused by family members/friends because their child didn't understand that the inappropriate touching they received, was actually not allowed.

WHY children DO not understand that they are being molested is bECAUSE They do not know or understand what sex is.

Through sex education, they learn what parts of their body is "off limits" others (except, save for a doctor).

And SEX Education should be taught in stages. For the younger ages, the topics should address about understanding their bodies and touch upon where people shouldn't be touching them.

By the the age of puberty (for girls by age 10), they should learn about their the different changes their bodies are going through and what those changes mean

By 13 years of age, a FULL understanding of SEX, that includes abstinence as well as what kinds of protection is available, including 'THE PILL" and other contraceptives.

My friend in High school was molested by her uncle when she was 5 years old. She didn't realize she was molested until she broke down in class during a sex education class (in 5th grade) and was taken to a counselor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

When a 6 y.o. says "Mommy ... what is sex ?" ... the response: "Well sweetie, it's the biological function for which all species employ in order to propagate, and is very complex and a subject which we will discuss further when you are old enough to understand"". 6 y.o. ... "OK .... Mommy, why are leaves green ...? "
and if you were a smart parent, that is not the conversation would go.

A smart parent would use language that their child would understand.

You know what satisfied me when I was 6 when I asked what "sex" was?

"That is how your mommy and daddy was able to have you".

That was all that was needed and it was enough. There is no need to go into te "reason" that a child would not understand.

As always, conservative chritsitan- sex - is -taboo - types go overboard with their rhetoric.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Looking at the link I didn't see anything outside the norm. If parents want to teach their kids themselves then they can use that as a guide. Remember, this all this is just stuff that came come up casually over the course of a year. It's not structed to the point where parents or schools are having sex ed classes on a daily basis. Most of it is common sense and stuff we want our kids to know about anyway. Right?

Even if this doesn't pass muster I think some parents should read it and figure out when and how to bring up these thing. Many parents SAY they want to teach their kids this or that but in reality they never get around to it until long past the time their kids got "educated" by other children. LOL

Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
At no time in my life did I find boys being icky. It helped that I was interested in Gi Joes vs Barbies, transformers vs cabbage patch kids and getting dirty and playing in riverbeds than wearing pink frilly dresses.

Boys weren't bad since I was 4 years old.
My spouse was the same way ... according to her ... she was a full fledged tomboy and that is what it is ... not a sign of early lesbian tendencies. Would you want some over zealous, propaganda driven campaign convincing your young daughter that playing with G.I. Joes was a sign of sexual orientation? If you do, you're brain is misfiring.

And, according to her, when she was playing marbles with all of the boys .. her thoughts were focused on winning all of the marbles ... nothing deeper than that.

But nevertheless, there were far more girl girls with frilly dresses when I was growing up, than tomboys. And the young boys would never have admitted to liking them ... but they would allow the tomboys to enter their circle, as that was not considered liking girls.

There are always exceptions .. no hard fast absolutes ... but that was the predominate pattern ... boys were always more reticent about liking girls than the other way around, so perhaps I should have used a boy in my example.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
and if you were a smart parent, that is not the conversation would go.

A smart parent would use language that their child would understand.

You know what satisfied me when I was 6 when I asked what "sex" was?

"That is how your mommy and daddy was able to have you".

That was all that was needed and it was enough. There is no need to go into te "reason" that a child would not understand.

As always, conservative chritsitan- sex - is -taboo - types go overboard with their rhetoric.
Proof of the liberal insanity whose depth of intelligence should be measured with a caliper.

The use of a complex explanation is a diversionary measure to change the subject to a more age appropriate topic. Your explanation provided no more or no less substantive information, but would certainly lead a more intelligent child to ask "How".

That such a simple tactic worked on you, only supports my case!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
My spouse was the same way ... according to her ... she was a full fledged tomboy and that is what it is ... not a sign of early lesbian tendencies. Would you want some over zealous, propaganda driven campaign convincing your young daughter that playing with G.I. Joes was a sign of sexual orientation? If you do, you're brain is misfiring.
The reason why I played Gi Joes with boys than barbie dolls with girls, was that I was already attracted to the boys, even at age 6.

There was no "influence" on me whatsoever, even though I knew about gays and lesbians when I was young (my uncle is gay)

Kindergarten and I had already kissed more boys cheeks than I kissed relatives cheeks.

Quote:
There are always exceptions .. no hard fast absolutes ... but that was the predominate pattern ... boys were always more reticent about liking girls than the other way around, so perhaps I should have used a boy in my example.

I believe that it was because my parents were open to everything that helped me understand. Not an exception; just growing up in a household that didn't beholden to some "moral" right vs "what is best for my child to know"

this is despite my father being raised in a devout baptist household and my mother was raised Catholic.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:

That such a simple tactic worked on you, only supports my case!
Of course you missed the point.

To "clarify" at age 6 most kids wouldn't care what "sex" entails; they are mostly interested in what the "word" means; mainly because they either heard it somewhere, from someone or on tv, or wherever.

Did you read my post about how SEX education should be taught in stages? Of course most of the "sex-is-taboo" proponents are only of the belief that "its all or nothing" approach.

As with any school subject, you are taught in stages. You aren't taught calculus before you are taught how to add or subtract.

You aren't taught how to read, without first learning the alphabet.

So SEX should be approached the same way. There is no reason, why you have to explain the act of sex to a 6 year old who is only curious because they just heard the word.

6 year olds do not have the vocabulary of a 13 year old. They do not know what penetration is or care where that "boys" penis will go (many do not even know that word itself). 90% of their question is basically "I never heard that word, so what does it mean".

A simple answer to a age limited understanding question is all that is needed.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
For those who are complaining about the program: Do you believe the residents of Helena have a right to decide what should be taught? Or do you believe that outsiders should make the decision for them?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:36 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
For those who are complaining about the program: Do you believe the residents of Helena have a right to decide what should be taught? Or do you believe that outsiders should make the decision for them?
Are you implying people who don't live in a particular zip code, don't get to have an opinion?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Should people outside of California be subjected to the homosexual agenda? You're just as guilty as the other side in pushing states rights when it suits your agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies