Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times

Advertisements

I know we have all read the projections that the Usa is going to be majority minority,esp with latinos. But ,if 50% of the people are hispanic,then technically,we would become a hispanic country,right or wrong?

Even if they don't speak english,we eventually would have to learn and speak it anyway because the majority rules,right?

A good example would be Belize or the countries of Africa ruled by Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,789 times
That's why I'm learning Spanish now.. j/k
(I really am though along with Mandarin) I have always wanted to learn those languages, it will be most valuable in the future when it happens (not saying America will be a Spanish speaking country).

Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know we have all read the projections that the Usa is going to be majority minority,esp with latinos. But ,if 50% of the people are hispanic,then technically,we would become a hispanic country,right or wrong?

Even if they don't speak english,we eventually would have to learn and speak it anyway because the majority rules,right?

A good example would be Belize or the countries of Africa ruled by Spain.
I seriously hope not

Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
Either that or the muslims. Then they can fight over America....

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Either that or the muslims. Then they can fight over America....
You know what's funny? LGBT and abortion rights in Latin America and Muslim countries are either minimal or non-existent and they make fun of the white evangelical Right for that

Hell if Puerto Rico is an example of Latin America, we made it a felony sex offense to engage in same-sex activity until our law got overturned in Lawrence v. Texas and we continue to criminalize abortion in Puerto Rico that makes South Dakota liberal! Abortion in Puerto Rico is treated as homicide, and if you guessed it by now, yes it's a felony to receive and provide abortions in Puerto Rico unless the mother in in danger of dying from giving birth. So if Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state, that's a new state added to the Bible Belt

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-12-2010 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: more info on PR

Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You know what's funny? LGBT and abortion rights in Latin America and Muslim countries are either minimal or non-existent and they make fun of the white evangelical Right for that
And when you ask people how they feel about that here... They never answer. They don't even try to talk their way around it. They just don't answer.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
Studies have shown that Hispanics learn English at the same rate as other immigrant groups. That's also been my experience. It may be a little bit slower for Hispanics given their numbers and having their home country right next door - not across an ocean - but the grandkids of immigrants still know little Spanish. By 2050 Hispanics will be very Americanized.

immigrants - little English - esp. stay at home moms
1st generation American- fluently bilingual / children
2nd generation American - mainly unilingual English / grandkids

Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 PM

402 posts, read 853,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Studies have shown that Hispanics learn English at the same rate as other immigrant groups. That's also been my experience. It may be a little bit slower for Hispanics given their numbers and having their home country right next door - not across an ocean - but the grandkids of immigrants still know little Spanish. By 2050 Hispanics will be very Americanized.

immigrants - little English - esp. stay at home moms
1st generation American- fluently bilingual / children
2nd generation American - mainly unilingual English / grandkids
That's not really true anymore. Those generation statistics apply to older Ellis Island wave migration. While a majority now still do learn at least some English 1) It's not nearly as many as before 2) Do you really think they will continue to do so as they become the majority? Do you think if Mexico became majority Anglo in 2050 that Americans would try to become Mexicans. No. So why do we think Mexicans want to become Americans?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,595 times
Honestly I do not think the United States will become a Hispanic country ever, our culture changes and mutates so fast that I see the Spanish language just being incorporated into the American language (you can call it English if you want, I have talked to folks from England, they don't speak the same language that I do!) until we have a totally new set of vocabulary.

I was very negative towards the growing Hispanic population here in the United States until recently when I meet a large number of Hispanic students at my college. All of them were here legally and most of their parents were here legally. They work hard, are friendly if treated with respect, and have the same morals and values that I was raised with back in the Midwest.

As long as we continue to work on keeping illegal immigration (which most of my Hispanic classmates were very opposed to) down and continue to accept that not everyone thinks, looks, and/or talks like everyone else I think our country will be just fine. Of course that is just the population side, government wise...... that's for another thread.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Honestly I do not think the United States will become a Hispanic country ever, our culture changes and mutates so fast that I see the Spanish language just being incorporated into the American language (you can call it English if you want, I have talked to folks from England, they don't speak the same language that I do!) until we have a totally new set of vocabulary.

I was very negative towards the growing Hispanic population here in the United States until recently when I meet a large number of Hispanic students at my college. All of them were here legally and most of their parents were here legally. They work hard, are friendly if treated with respect, and have the same morals and values that I was raised with back in the Midwest.

As long as we continue to work on keeping illegal immigration (which most of my Hispanic classmates were very opposed to) down and continue to accept that not everyone thinks, looks, and/or talks like everyone else I think our country will be just fine. Of course that is just the population side, government wise...... that's for another thread.
The reason why I don't want the US to become a Hispanic country is because I'm afraid that it'll become a cesspool of corruption like Puerto Rico, Mexico, Spain, etc. Corruption seems to be a part of my culture that Spain handed down to us and I quite like the American way of government as a result. I'd love to go live in Puerto Rico again because they share my social conservative views, as do most Latinos, but the police are crooked and the government is rotten as bad as or worse than Illinois. Our past governor Aníbal Acevedo-Vilá is just a Puerto Rican Rod Blagoyevich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies