Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on gay marriage?
None or civil unions 42 35.00%
Marriage 78 65.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
IF I were black I would be pissed the Gay community was comparing itself to the civil rights era. Seperate but equal does not apply to the gay community.
That's exactly what this thread is about. You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
WE GET ONLY 2 CHOICES?? Kind of a skewed poll dontcha think???

Why would you group none with civil unions?

Just make it "None"
I implore you to actually go through the posts and actually read them to find out why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
I think our country faces bigger problems, however, what the hell is wrong with having Civil Unions?! Why does it have to be called marriage and why should churches have to marry gay couples?

Elton John spoke out on this and thought there should be a difference. For those of you who think its the same thing, its not. Its a man/man, woman/woman. That isnt marriage. The definition of marriage should not be redefined.

Give gay people civil unions with the most or all of the same rights married people get and leave it at that. I dont get what's so hard about that? Marriage is man/woman, a HUSBAND and a WIFE. Civil unions are Man/man and woman/woman. Its that damn simple.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 PM

I moved recently. Met one of my neighbors a couple days after I moved in. He came over to introduce himself. I new he was gay the moment he spoke, and he told me what his "partner's" name was.

Marriage - husband and wife

Civil Union - partners or whatever other names they come up with. But it certainly isnt husband and wife.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Why does it have to be called marriage and why should churches have to marry gay couples?
This is a lie being perpetrated by anti-gay organizations. Churches have never been required to marry anyone.

Quote:
Elton John spoke out on this and thought there should be a difference.
Elton John is the authority on this? Why? He's one guy with one opinion.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is a lie being perpetrated by anti-gay organizations. Churches have never been required to marry anyone.

Elton John is the authority on this? Why? He's one guy with one opinion.
If Im wrong on the church thing, then I recant it. I dont overly concern myself with this and dont do much research because frankly, I think there are more pressing things to concern ourselves with.

My point in quoting Elton was because he is a prominent figure and well like by most people, gay or straight. And I think what he said made a heck of a lot of sense. There is a difference between married husbands and wives, and gay partners. It makes sense to call it something else because it just isnt the same. I wont want gay couples discriminated against, but I think what they do should be called something other than marriage. I just dont see whats wrong with calling it civil unions or something else. What should matter to them as that they can live together in their partnership and be happy.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
My point in quoting Elton was because he is a prominent figure and well like by most people, gay or straight. And I think what he said made a heck of a lot of sense. There is a difference between married husbands and wives, and gay partners. It makes sense to call it something else because it just isnt the same. I wont want gay couples discriminated against, but I think what they do should be called something other than marriage. I just dont see whats wrong with calling it civil unions or something else. What should matter to them as that they can live together in their partnership and be happy.
I agree with you. I think civil unions would be fine. Unfortunately, even civil unions are too controversial for some people. Witness the Republican governor of Hawaii recently vetoing civil unions.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm personally for outlawing all legal marriage status, for everyone.

Marriage is a religious institution, and thus shouldn't be associated with the state in any which way, form or fashion.

If the state wants to allow for contracts between two consenting adults, ie Civil Unions, thats a different matter.

If you want to get married, go to a church. If the church doesn't want to marry you, start your own religion that accepts your spiritual commitment. Its none of the states business to be marrying anyone.
Marriage is not a religious institution. People can get married OUTSIDE the Church. A justice of the peace or a judge or even a captain of a ship can marry you all have ZERO religious element.

That being said I am a conservative and could care less if gays get married not sure why people get their panties in a bunch about it.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I've been asking for 11 years now, since I first got involved in fighting for the rights of the GLBT community, but no one has ever been able to answer. Just what is this 'lifestyle' you talk about?. .

So, tell me please, what 'lifestyle' do all three of these men share?
Ok, easy. i will clear it up for you fairly succinctly. But let me say this first, you asked me to expound and I would appreciate it if you didn't attack my answer, you may not agree or like it. Nuff said.

The "gay" or homosexul lifestyle is the choice to partner, have intimate relationship with someone of the same sex which is against nature and the natural order of things. Nothing more and nothing less.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Ok, easy. i will clear it up for you fairly succinctly. But let me say this first, you asked me to expound and I would appreciate it if you didn't attack my answer, you may not agree or like it. Nuff said.

The "gay" or homosexul lifestyle is the choice to partner, have intimate relationship with someone of the same sex which is against nature and the natural order of things. Nothing more and nothing less.
Homosexual behavior happens in nature, in several other species.

It has biological and social benefits for some of us to be born in a way that would prevent us to reproduce.

List of animals displaying homosexual behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next

Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
You say this as if it's a fact, but it's not. But hey - if you want to disagree with the majority of research on sexual orientation, that's your right. I just wonder why we should give more credence to your statements than to the positions of professional organizations such as the APA, the AMA, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies