Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
LOL, He sure took the long wat in . I'd say he's a middle eastern who is by now sittign down to a halel dinner 'maybe in the whitehouse '.
Must have been a stretch of road where the signs were ONLY in English and he overshot ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Let me guess they aren't trained in how to handle a firearm and there for don't know how to use it in this situation. I'm assuming the U.S. Customs agent was shooting at the trunk of the van trying to harm whoever was inside instead of shooting at the tires which would have stopped the van right there without an hour long chase/search.
Shoot out the tires? Are you serious?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
What if the Canadian was listening to music and couldn't hear the officer.<snip>
Where do you get the idea the driver was a Canadian, I haven't heard that?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Must have been a stretch of road where the signs were ONLY in English and he overshot ?
No worry of giving out of gas, his Visa card would take care of that, the one he got by signing with an X before he got his Cadilac Escalade from Bank Of ' America ' loan .

Old 07-11-2010, 02:15 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Assumptions, very poor ones at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Shooting out tires only works in movies. If you had a .50 Cal. with armor piercing rounds, one MIGHT be able to shoot out a tire from the side. A Nato 7.62 armor piercing round would also stand a slim chance but still very unlikely. Typical police and military handheld arms will bounce off a tire, particularly a moving tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Asumtions based on prejudice more like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Me thinks you watch too much TV and equate that to "real life".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Shoot out the tires? Are you serious?
Let me ask this. If the officer was not able to shoot out the tires, why exactly was he shooting at the van? To endanger possible nearby lives? He was bored and wanted to take some target practice? He just happened to be holding the gun and it had a few accidental discharges in a row? If I'm an idiot for thinking tires could be shot out, so is this U.S. Customs agent.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I think he should've shot the valve stem off one of the tires. This would cause the tire to lose air gradually and the truck could come to a rolling stop. Then they should put on some soothing music on a portable PA system and then calmly approach and I can't even type this this with a straight face.

Shoot out the tires? You ever hear of something called "tire strips? They put these down in the road to blow out tires. I'm pretty sure the cops putting them down have guns. You don't ever hear about "The cop shot out the tires to stop the guy." You do, however, sometimes hear about using tire strips.

I'd go with tire strips.

OOH@@> I got it. The cop could've hammered off about 50 rounds and plugged the exhaust pipe of the vehicle with lead, thereby immobilizing it. Unless it had two pipes, which would require twice as many bullets. And to be able to fire pretty fast. And to have pretty good accuracy. And be able to stick all the little bullets together in a nice wad. Maybe he could use banana sized bullets. I bet a banana shaped bullet up the the ol' tailpipe would've given them pause for thought.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I think he should've shot the valve stem off one of the tires. This would cause the tire to lose air gradually and the truck could come to a rolling stop. Then they should put on some soothing music on a portable PA system and then calmly approach and I can't even type this this with a straight face.

Shoot out the tires? You ever hear of something called "tire strips? They put these down in the road to blow out tires. I'm pretty sure the cops putting them down have guns. You don't ever hear about "The cop shot out the tires to stop the guy." You do, however, sometimes hear about using tire strips.

I'd go with tire strips.

OOH@@> I got it. The cop could've hammered off about 50 rounds and plugged the exhaust pipe of the vehicle with lead, thereby immobilizing it. Unless it had two pipes, which would require twice as many bullets. And to be able to fire pretty fast. And to have pretty good accuracy. And be able to stick all the little bullets together in a nice wad. Maybe he could use banana sized bullets. I bet a banana shaped bullet up the the ol' tailpipe would've given them pause for thought.
Quote:
Let me ask this. If the officer was not able to shoot out the tires, why exactly was he shooting at the van? To endanger possible nearby lives? He was bored and wanted to take some target practice? He just happened to be holding the gun and it had a few accidental discharges in a row? If I'm an idiot for thinking tires could be shot out, so is this U.S. Customs agent.
If you were referring to me in your post, see above.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
What is next? You are going to advocate the U.S. military to attempt to shoot at the tires when someone drives through a checkpoint barricade in Iraq?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What is next? You are going to advocate the U.S. military to attempt to shoot at the tires when someone drives through a checkpoint barricade in Iraq?

Why not ? Thats what bush and barack the two BBs expect if a civilian is in the car.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I'm just asking, if you can't shoot out tires on a moving truck with a handgun why shoot at it? Its a serious question, that one would hope requires a serious answer not a quick deflection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies