Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:09 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,399,350 times

Advertisements

BLAINE, Wash., July 10 (UPI) -- A U.S. Customs agent shot at a driver who refused to leave his van and drove through a barricade at a Canadian border crossing into Washington, police say.

The driver successfully got into the United States at the Peace Arch crossing Friday but was detained about an hour later, The Province reported. Officials did not release his name or nationality but said he was expected to face criminal charges.

U.S. agent fires at van coming from Canada - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:36 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,840,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BLAINE, Wash., July 10 (UPI) -- A U.S. Customs agent shot at a driver who refused to leave his van and drove through a barricade at a Canadian border crossing into Washington, police say.

The driver successfully got into the United States at the Peace Arch crossing Friday but was detained about an hour later, The Province reported. Officials did not release his name or nationality but said he was expected to face criminal charges.

U.S. agent fires at van coming from Canada - UPI.com
Let me guess they aren't trained in how to handle a firearm and there for don't know how to use it in this situation. I'm assuming the U.S. Customs agent was shooting at the trunk of the van trying to harm whoever was inside instead of shooting at the tires which would have stopped the van right there without an hour long chase/search.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,775,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Let me guess they aren't trained in how to handle a firearm and there for don't know how to use it in this situation. I'm assuming the U.S. Customs agent was shooting at the trunk of the van trying to harm whoever was inside instead of shooting at the tires which would have stopped the van right there without an hour long chase/search.
Assumptions, very poor ones at that.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,057,379 times
All's fair if you think you can barge through our borders.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:02 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,050,393 times
Quote:

Shooting out tires only works in movies. If you had a .50 Cal. with armor piercing rounds, one MIGHT be able to shoot out a tire from the side. A Nato 7.62 armor piercing round would also stand a slim chance but still very unlikely. Typical police and military handheld arms will bounce off a tire, particularly a moving tire.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,572,679 times
Reports coming in that the driver is an illegal alien from Mexico.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:19 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Quote:
Asumtions based on prejudice more like it.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM

683 posts, read 1,463,804 times
What if the Canadian was listening to music and couldn't hear the officer.

If a local police officer can't stop a car and its driver they never ever shoot to kill.

The custom officers should follow the same procedures that a police officer would follow in order to stop a driver that refuses to stop.

I have watched the "Cops" tv show and the US police officers always find a way to stop a driver without shooting to the vehicle.

Maybe the US customs officer didn't care about the life of a Canadian.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,885,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Reports coming in that the driver is an illegal alien from Mexico.

LOL, He sure took the long wat in . I'd say he's a middle eastern who is by now sittign down to a halel dinner 'maybe in the whitehouse '.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Quote:
Me thinks you watch too much TV and equate that to "real life".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies