Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,193,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You're right, it's not. I had forgotten that.

So what you're saying is, you'd rather deny SS benefits to widows, widowers and children who've lost a parent because they themselves didn't pay into the system? Possibly didn't pay into the system YET? Because those are the other groups who receive SS benefits. Disabled people who receive SSDI have paid into the system, so I would guess you don't mind them collecting.
Nope..in my posts I said excluding spousal benefit.
Children have programs available to them if their parents don't make enough money.

Yes you have to make hard choices. SS has been expanded over the years and cannot afford to continue as it is.
Everyone wants to complain and say "something should be done" yet no one wants to do anything but "raise taxes" and we see that raising taxes DOES NOT WORK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,426,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
The sense of entitlement oozes in this thread.
I'm sure you'll be taking a pass on Social Security and Medicaid when you get older right?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nope..in my posts I said excluding spousal benefit.
Children have programs available to them if their parents don't make enough money.

Yes you have to make hard choices. SS has been expanded over the years and cannot afford to continue as it is.
Everyone wants to complain and say "something should be done" yet no one wants to do anything but "raise taxes" and we see that raising taxes DOES NOT WORK.
They're all govt. money, all coming out of the same pot, sort of!

I had an aunt who was widowed in the 50s with two small children. She got SS until her youngest turned 18. We are talking a long time ago now. This is not something new.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:59 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,819,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Here is the big problem. Look at the chart for the life expenctancies in 1935 vs today.

Again, when SS was instituted, the "retirement age" was higher than the average life expectancy. That was by design.

To be consistent, we should increase the eligibility for SS to at least 70, perhaps 80.

Life Expectancy at Birth by Race and Sex, 1930–2005 — Infoplease.com
I didn't use the life expectancy AT BIRTH because many babies die before they even contribute a dime to the system. And those who die before 65 lose everything they paid in. But I maintain they need to, and have mostly failed to, work on strengthening the economy.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,806,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm sure you'll be taking a pass on Social Security and Medicaid when you get older right?
I won't see a dime I've paid into SS. As for Medicaid. Seems I've paid more than enough in state taxes to recieve some of that back should I ever need it. I don't plan to ever need it and take measures to insure (literally) against the possibility.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 07-11-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,380,047 times
Quote:
i'm 51 and will be retiring on 4/5 years at 55/56....and no I dont want or need SS

Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,645,750 times
Quote:
Why did you assume I'd automatically draw them? How can I not make my choice any clearer on the first page of this thread?

Plus, I'm still young...both will be dead in the water by the time I retire.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,794,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
i'm 51 and will be retiring on 4/5 years at 55/56....and no I dont want or need SS
Then you should not get it. Anybody that does not need it, should not get it. SS was intended to be a last resort safety net for people who worked, yet did not earn enough or budget a plan for their retirement. Retiring with only SS for income, does not provide for a comfortable retirement, only a bare subsistence income level so people do not have be on the streets until they die. People that have taken care for their retirement needs, don't need to be on SS rolls. There should be a means test, to determine a person's need for SS.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,380,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Then you should not get it. Anybody that does not need it, should not get it. SS was intended to be a last resort safety net for people who worked, yet did not earn enough or budget a plan for their retirement. Retiring with only SS for income, does not provide for a comfortable retirement, only a bare subsistence income level so people do not have be on the streets until they die. People that have taken care for their retirement needs, don't need to be on SS rolls. There should be a means test, to determine a person's need for SS.
then I should get all that I paid, (and my employeers too) back

you want a means test...I am all for it...but give me back MY money

Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,971,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
then I should get all that I paid, (and my employeers too) back

you want a means test...I am all for it...but give me back MY money
This is the way I feel too. I worked hard and did without MANY, MANY things that most people wouldn't think of living without. I still do.

A means test would in effect PUNISH me for living frugaly and saving and investing my money.

I still use the green stove and refrigerator that were in this house when I moved in. I have always hated them but just cannot justify throwing away perfectly good appliances.

Yes, I know they are not energy efficient, BUT............if I had bought the new, improved variety, I would have probaby had to replace them 3 times by now. Today's appliances are not long lived. The money I would "save" in electricity wouldn't come close to the cost of replacing these appliances three times over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies