Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,058,899 times

Advertisements

On the basis of 22 years of academic training and experience in coastal science and 18 years of policy experience in [the Louisiana governor]'s Office of Coastal Activities, I'm strongly opposed to [Governor Jindal]'s sand berm project for the following nine reasons:

Sand berms a dubious solution: A guest column by Len Bahr | NOLA.com

See also comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,025,995 times
Another egghead with 'Academic training' and 'policy experience'. Note that it's not 'in the field training' or 'actual experience' giving us advice. Since skimmers aren't getting 100% of the oil, are they also a 'dubious solution?

Old 07-11-2010, 03:21 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,349,061 times
The writers conclusion is the same as what Commander Thad Allen and the experts and scientist said a month and a half ago.So this guy is not alone.The two main points that Allen tried to stress were it would take 9 months to complete and the berms would trap in the oil already spilled.
Jindal is trying to show that he has leadership by doing something even if it is a bad idea,I think Allen has showed the real leadership by listening to the experts and scientist and coming to the right conclusion that this is not a good idea.I trust Allen who is not trying to score political points to impress some duped base which gives him the upper hand of doing the right thing.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:34 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,318,081 times
The sand berms were Jindahls way of trying to break up a Hurricane before it goes to shore. It had little to nothing to do with the oil. He just used the oil as an excuse.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
On the basis of 22 years of academic training and experience in coastal science and 18 years of policy experience in [the Louisiana governor]'s Office of Coastal Activities, I'm strongly opposed to [Governor Jindal]'s sand berm project for the following nine reasons:

See also comments.
So you think that these containments used for much more for short tems spils have been more effective? They can't even keep them in place . Its much easier to cleanup tar balls in sand than the coastal marshes that we see now.I mean 18 years would mean you were there dring the states control over evacuation of Katrina which went so bad under state and local control. They were part of the porblem not the solution seeing their response various other states hit and evacuations.Louisana's government is not held to very high esteem in the country really.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Well the booms didn't work so well did they..water got into Lake Pontchartrain.
Jindal at least tried. Wouldn't you try anything to save your home town ?

The libs are so quick to dismiss this because of stupid politics.

Oil spill taints the shores of St. Tammany: Ron Thibodeaux | NOLA.com

Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 PM

45,064 posts, read 26,223,210 times
It's time for the left to smear Jindal is all.
He did speak out against their icon.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,182,828 times
Louisiana: "Sand berms a dubious solution"

I'd suggest no more dubious than the government solution.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,359,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

See also comments.
Yup, another one claims text book training is how the real word works. I love to hear bookworms cite real world issues and text book information! I get the most fun from listening to expert psycho babble about unpredictable possibilities while they tell me about the world I live in from a fricking desk. It baffles the brain of most ordinary men (and women) when these fricking geniuses tell hands-on folks that their ideas won't work the whole while not even offering a tad of advice (from the years of academic training) on how to FIX a problem but for some reason they KNOW what you are doing won't work.

“Sand berms” lets see, if the berms are in front of the marsh the oil will hit the berms first. Yeah, I missed something, this idea will never work. My bathtub experiment failed every time.

"delusianne", without a doubt you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
The writers conclusion is the same as what Commander Thad Allen and the experts and scientist said a month and a half ago.So this guy is not alone.The two main points that Allen tried to stress were it would take 9 months to complete and the berms would trap in the oil already spilled.
Jindal is trying to show that he has leadership by doing something even if it is a bad idea,I think Allen has showed the real leadership by listening to the experts and scientist and coming to the right conclusion that this is not a good idea.I trust Allen who is not trying to score political points to impress some duped base which gives him the upper hand of doing the right thing.
allen is showing leadership by not doing anything? get real. if that is the case then bush and fema was showing real leadership in the first few hours after katrina hit. and obama is still showing real leadership on all the problems in this country, by doing nothing about them. that is NOT leadership. real leadership is getting things done. starting day one, obama should have been on the phone to the gulf coast governors asking them what they need to prevent oil from getting to the shores, and then sending it down. real leadership is where you get out and actively find solutions to clean up the oil. real leadership would tell private industry what needs to be done, and then get out of the way and let them work. real leadership would have been to tell BP to plug the damn leak asap, not wait three months. real leadership would have been to talk to every country that offered assistance in cleaning up the oil spill, and ask them how long it would take to get their equipment here.

obama and allen are NOT real leaders, they are followers pretending to be leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies