Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Ok so if your post is so rock solid then why couldn't we have these kind of discussions on CD before Obama was in office?

And no one quotes Martin anymore. Try watching a more current show.
I'm in a giggly mood and you guys (and gals) are bringing the funnies. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 PM

150 posts, read 123,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Give me an example of this insisting please. You cannot. The real deal is that when we use history to explain.....whites feel shame. You seem to assume that our intentions are punitive in motivation. If black folks wanted to be punitive....we would redirect our black on black violence to black on white violence. To me....this is the historical fear of many whites......which is the idea or fear of payback. In truth, all blacks have wanted was to be respected and looked upon with the dignity of assuming that our humanity, work ethic, responsibility and nature is not inferior to yours. We don't seek payback we just seek to explain our present through the reality of our past.....as the only explantion of the present comes from the past. Yet....we cannot escape that when we explain......you feel shame. To explain makes us "racist" and angry and filled with hate....to hear you tell it. It means that we are holding YOU responsible for something that you are not responsible for. If speaking the truth of our history is holding you responsible....then you must be responsible.

You did not post this to me, but I will comment. I'm white. I feel absolutely NO shame about slavery. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Trust me when I tell you that, in my estimation, virtually no "white" people feel shame for slavery. Oh, well, you do get a few moon bats on the left who sound like they feel shame, but frankly I'm not buying it. Most decent Americans are sickend and saddened by the institution of slavery. Ashamed? No. They had nothing to do with it.

It's interesting that this theme keeps coming up in your posts.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you want to talk history, go to the history forum and talk about the facts of slavery...nobody there will give you any grief if you stick to history.

As an above post said, you come to this forum....you have an agenda. People are going to reply.

I really don't give a hoot about skin color. It can be an interesting thing, when you meet somebody new, the same as if they were from a different part of the country or world....they have different experiences which can be interesting. Other than that...um...most people don't care.

I do care about race baiting. I care that everyone is not treated equally...I believe all affirmative action should be tossed. It's not 1964 anymore.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legtingle View Post
Well, I am in the "get over it" group. As the poster said above, if you want to have an academic discussion fine, but if it is a "blame the evil white man" thing, you will definately get a "stop whining" from me.

My folks came from Ireland and were treated badly. Boo hoo. Did this affect me in some way? Probably....the family you come from shapes you. Do I sit and dwell and want to blame the English for raping Ireland? Um...no. What on earth is the point?

I don't look at anyone as a victim, unless they really are one. Just because you are born non-caucasion in this country does not qualify you in my book. So, if you are just like me, you get treated the same. I'm all about equality. And I am getting really tired of hearing the perpetual victims with their hands out. I'm not buying it.
I see a lot of the "I'm getting tired of the woe is me attitude" response. I'm curious where you see this response. Is this just an unsupported generalization or do you have evidence of blacks that blame slavery for their current condition?

Support for the "get over it" argument usually includes something about how the motivation is to "blame the evil white man". No matter how manner times this is disputed, this belief is still held. Why is it so hard to believe that my discussion about slavery has nothing to do with blaming contemporary whites (or even non-slaveholding whites of yesteryear)?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
When they stop using slavery as a crutch for failure..

Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

To restate my thread title: When can blacks discuss slavery without being accused of victimhood or living in the past?
Slavery was in the past...how would you like the conversation to proceed

Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM

150 posts, read 123,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think you have not bothered to actually look at what the title of this forum is. Its not simply a "Political" forum. The literal title of this forum is "Politics and other controversies"

Certainly the topic of slavery is ALWAYS controversial in America. Moreover, "politics" represents the "affairs of the state" and governance. Slavery and Jim crow was implemented through the affairs of the body politics, through the passage of laws. Thus, this topic is both political and controversial.....meeting the criteria from both ends. Thus, please put the obfuscation and misdirection to rest please. The TRUTH is that the dissension being displayed is simply another demonstration of white SHAME. Hence, the shame makes you seek to discredit the poster or deflect from the subject in order to deflect from the shame.

Humans seek rank and status. Rank and status makes many people feel better about themselves. However, people with rank and status don’t want to feel as if their rank and status is illegitimate. In other words, people who value rank and status don’t want to accept that they had some unfair advantage that allowed them to rise above others. That would deflate their egos. They NEED to feel SUPERIOR….not ADVANTAGED. Hence, they need to dismiss all arguments that have a premise of inequality or unfair advantage linked to their status and rank relative to those below them. That is why a lot of white folks are hell bent on dismissing the impact of slavery, Jim Crow and white racism from being linked to how the races rank different socioeconomically today. Whites want to bask in the belief of their natural “Superiorityâ€, born from their superior natural intellect, their superior natural work ethic and their superior natural propensity for personal responsibility.

I remember as a kid we would often have foot races on our street to see who was the fastest. I was usually the fastest on my block, but on one occasion when we had a race I had a very sore ankle sprain and another kid won the race. When I EXPLAINED that I had a sore ankle…….the winner simply did not want to hear it! I was just making an excuse, according to him. He wanted to bask in the belief that he was THE BEST and that he was BETTER (faster) than me. The TRUTH about my condition would only taint his stature so he needed to do all he could to discredit my claims so that he could feel that he was faster than me. You know….he never raced with me again after than day. Youth often reflects a clearer view of human nature.

Black history is a THREAT to the ego of many whites because it provides proof that the competition has not been historically fair....giving them an overall advantage and hence explaining why they do so much better on average. This would mean that its not WHITE SUPERIORITY that accounts for the discrepancies, but rather, the history of racism and oppression giving them an unfair advantage. They cannot relinquish the belief in their superiority as it makes them feel to good inside.

When you EXPLAINED to the WINNER you had a sore ankle and would have beat him otherwise?????????????????????????

Oh, brother. There's always one.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
I know this video is a comedy, but this is what most white people are talkin about.---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6-Wc0PDc4

Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,685 times
Blacks got a raw deal in the beginning .... I feel for them and they were sold as animals in Ghana. But not only are Euro-American settlers are to blame but also the high class Ghana King black men who sold their own. Read about it .... However, in the last 50 years blacks cannot complain anymore because the US is truly equal for all. The problem with most American blacks is they are spoiled and the cycle gets repeated as they're off spring see their lax way of life and they are not taught by the parent how to work, the value of money and self integrity.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And the answer to your question is (the envelope, please)...

When Indentured Servant stops creating threads doing exactly that.
I actually find IS' posts on race relations interesting and thought-provoking. His posts reminds me of some of the academic discussions we used to have in my AA and American Studies classes.

If I may be so bold, I interpret IS' posts not to *blame* whites for the current problems blacks faced, but rather to show how the history of slavery and oppression has an effect even today. It's not so easy to brush off the influence of one's past when the discrimination and racism lasted well into the 1960's (and even today, just not in such blatant fashion).

Those who say "slavery ended over a hundred years ago...black people have the same opportunities as everyone else", don't seem to really "get it". And unless you're black, you probably won't.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Yes, I agree, but how often do you see white thugs?
Often enough to know they exist; and you would too if you opened your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies