Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

And then they complain that they don't have anything to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Look at the stats. America's murder rate in 1980 was 10.2 murders per 100,000 people per year.

In 1991, it was 9.8.

Between 1970 and 1995, the lowest it ever got was 7.9.

But in 2008, the rate was 5.4. That's lower than the rate in 1966.

Gotta give the kids some credit where credit is due, don't you think?
Interesting that the murder rate actually fell during the peak period of the crack epidemic.. In fact, once the crack epidemic of the 80s and early 90s subsided crime and homicide rates fell considerably. The reason of course being that from the mid-90s to the present, organized gangs control drug distribution as opposed to just small, ragtag groups of people controlling one or two blocks as in the 80s..

Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Actually, the youth homicide rate (and the homicide rate in general) is way lower than it was throughout the 1980's and early 90's.

It's obviously still unacceptably high (though mainly concentrated in some areas and not others), but compared to "Generation X," this generation's kids are much-better behaved.
Its not just about them killing each other its about how they are treating adults and each other and the lack of respect.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
I grew up in a strict military household.

Discipline was a daily learning lesson.

Respect and manners, are a lost art.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I grew up in the same type of household. I thought it was a bit tiring when I was young, but am grateful now for it. You are so right about respect and manners being a lost art.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't know if you can give kids any credit, but maybe. That still doesn't excuse their behavior in the last decade or so. I see it everywhere. You go to a store and there is Generation X mom with all of her tatoos and piercings with an unruly child getting into EVERYTHING, screaming, crying, etc. My sister-in-law is one of those parents who treats her kid like a best friend and not the child she is. I see the consequences, the kid doesn't have a solid bed time, she'll be up as long as mom is, could be 3am! The kid is so damn wild and has absolutely no respect for anyone elses' property. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. Ever since society thought it was OK to NOT discipline your children, it all went downhill from there. Now throw in the fact that kids these days are so completely spoiled to the bone. Drive through any high school parking lot and I bet you see brand new cars in the lot that the 17 year old STUDENTS are driving that mommy and daddy bought for them. I'm talking cars like Acura, BMW, AUDI, etc. It is quite disgusting. It is creating a sense of entitlement that these kids grow up with which in turn they lose all respect for material things and know nothing about being proud of what you have earned and worked for. It will be the ultimate demise of our society if it keeps up.

All kids crave dissapline

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

It really is.

The worst part is the few adults that want to do anything about it.

I wonder what its going to take to get them to realize we are doing our children more harm them good.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
It really is.

The worst part is the few adults that want to do anything about it.

I wonder what its going to take to get them to realize we are doing our children more harm them good.
I don't think all of them will ever wake up, it is the way they were raised and what they know. Thankfully, there are still people (like some of the posters here including you) that take these things seriously and pass on honorable values and integrity.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
All kids crave dissapline
And edjucashin!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Its not just about them killing each other its about how they are treating adults and each other and the lack of respect.
Spare the rod, spoil the child.... no respect is right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies