Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the National Anthem be changed to 'America The Beautiful'?
Keep 'The Star Spangled Banner' 86 76.79%
Change it to 'America The Beautiful' 26 23.21%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times

Advertisements

Many fought and died for you to live in this great country .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 PM
OMD

7 posts, read 3,887 times
absolutely! let's change the tradition for once.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
America was a country born of war, strife, and hardship. It was founded by men and women who stood up for their beliefs, and fought for them.

What the star spangled banner is, isn't just a "war song". First, it was a poem, not a song. It was later put to music and became the national anthem.

Now, Lets look at the meaning. Mr. Key was standing on a British ship, because he'd been captured. He saw the British royal navy, the worlds most powerful navy at the time, relentlesly bomb Baltimore and its fortifications all night long. It'd be the like someone standing on an American battle ship, bombing an island in the pacific all night.

The next morning, as the dawn broke, he feared that our country had fallen. Who wouldn't have thought that? And, luckily, as the dawn broke, and the smoke cleared, the American flag could be seen flying over Fort McHenry.

Thats what that song means.

Because of that, and the history of our country, and the struggles we have faced, the enemies we have fought, and the odds we have overcome, the current national anthem represents us the best.

After all, who would have thought a democracy, like none that had tried before, comprised of 13 very seperate colonies, facing the worlds most powerful military, would conquer the continent, and become the worlds greatest super power?
Amen....I cannot hear the Star Spangled Banner without tears coming to my eyes...for those suggesting to change it, you are seriously missing something....America The Beautiful is a pretty song, but it does not evoke the emotions in me, or most American citizens like The Star Spangled Banner..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
keep the Star Spangled Banner...I'm so tired of things having to change or people bit$hing about things the "offend" them....as my teenage daughter would say, "grow a pair" and forget about all this pc nonsense!
It's not a PC issue, although it's easy to say everything you disagree with is. Like I said before, this issue has been around forever. That you are just hearing about it doesn't change a thing. Who need to grow what now?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
What's the measure of love & dedication for your country if you had it sung at your funeral?

YouTube - Mourners Sing 'America The Beautiful'

This is what a newcomer sees...

YouTube - America - My Adopted Country

And what a critic/ comic sees...

YouTube - Hugh Laurie's song for America - A bit of Fry and Laurie - BBC sketch comedy
BUT! we can laugh at ourselves because we're American, and the more yankee doodle songs they write trying to mock us the more we'll own it.

Star spangled banner never made me cry. Only taps makes me leak.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Star spangled banner never made me cry.
To me it's a baseball song. Ok, I KNOW there is more too it, history, yayaya, but even the Olympics springs to mind. When I hear it I think SPORTS!!! I can't help that.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
To me it's a baseball song. Ok, I KNOW there is more too it, history, yayaya, but even the Olympics springs to mind. When I hear it I think SPORTS!!! I can't help that.
When I think sports and national anthem, I think this...

YouTube - Roseanne sings the National anthem
Silver lining, the older I get the closer I get to losing this hideous brain cell sneaking up on me at odd times like this thread. The HORROR.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Leave it alone. If it were to ever be replaced, I wouldn't pick America the Beautiful, I'd pick the Liberty Song, popular during the Revolution.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 529 times
'America the Beautiful' describes our country in a peaceful, naturalistic way. The Star Spangled Banner glorifies war. Why do we have to have an anthem that does that? We should be beyond war-mongering by now. This is the 21st century.
Some people don't like the reference to God, but 'God' can be whatever you want it, him, or her, to be.
Penny & Bob

Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Ever since I was aware of such things I've thought "America the Beautiful" was the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies