Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM

72,960 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

[quote=CravingMountains;33560725]
Quote:
You made this comment "one can live next to non-Whites and still have a nice community with good schools." Why did you bring up "non-whites" in the first place if you didn't mean to connect them to perceived Haitian American success?
You said Whites, so I said non-Whites. It could have just been left at that.

Quote:
What were you asking me to prove? That Haitians in the Northeast are of the same caliber as the ones to be found in South Florida? I don't care what Haitians in the Northeast are. You honestly think those people are different? That is absolutely crazy. They are of the same ancestry and subscribe to the same cultural values as their South Florida and Caribbean relatives do. You speak of them as if they are some of unique ethnic sub-group. They aren't.
You say all you have to go by are the Haitians in Miami. I say that is your problem. It might be the same ancestry, but from what I've been informed of, Miami attracted alot of underclass persons. The northeastern cities and Canada have attracted large numbers of educated Haitians. In fact, most Haitian-Americans I've met come from New York and Boston.

Furthermore, let me go further. My father is from Milwaukee. He is Black American. He is a college-educated man and an engineer. He left Milwaukee amidst a crime surge taking place during that time. He has lived in Texas, Washington state, and Georgia among many places(as have I). The findings: More professional and middle class Blacks in Dallas and Houston than in Milwaukee. In fact, in Milwaukee, many underclass persons went to Milwaukee, and then to other places. I would believe the dynamic in Milwaukee's black population(high unemployment rate, high poverty rate, high murder rate) would be different from that of Dallas or Houston (although there are still issues, more middle and upper class Blacks, more professionals, more college-educated Blacks).

Sam ancestries, different places, and attracting different segments of an ethnic group.

Quote:
You say you have met only one of two "problematic persons". I can literally pull out my school yearbooks from my youth and give you the names of HUNDREDS of people that I know first hand who have become criminals, single mothers, high school dropouts, who display ghetto and bullish behavior or are religiously fanatical while sin is written all over their face. One of my very first instances of their absurd behavior must have been as young as 4th grade when a Haitian girl in our class wound up her fist and punched our teacher right in her face.
Again, Miami here. In fact, the "problematic persons" that I met, both were from the Miami area. The rest of the Haitian-Americans I've met came from the Northeast USA. I never saw that kind of behavior from them.

Quote:
This community has done so much in front of my eyes for me to safely assume that I would probably find more comfort in other company. And the very thought that there are people in America who think we should annex this disaster of a country and culture in our own society terrifies the hell out of me.
Again, you live in South Florida. The worst of the worst went to South Florida. And do you see me calling for annexation? Last time the USA did that, many resisted it, and it was a brutal occupation.

Quote:
I know my words are harsh, but you have to grow up seeing the things I saw for you to really understand where I am coming from. That community is eff up! And please take note that I do not feel this way about other immigrant groups from the Caribbean. One of my best friends is Bahamian and I am also aware of the economic success of the Jamaican community (though I actually do not know any Jamaican people. )
If the only thing you are going to do is complain about Haitian-Americans, and you feel that they won't improve, then what is the point in saying anything?

Quote:
Edit: 4th grade. I pulled out my yearbook and found that nasty girls picture. She was HUGE. I remember her towering over me at that age and I'm a guy.
How tall are you?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Why not? The Haitians are for it. It would clear up a lot of illegal immigration cases now and free up the Coast Gaurd in Florida to gdevote more resources to going after drug runners. Similarly you'd see a massive influx from the Haiti Territory to the mainland US where former Haitian now American workers would do "the jobs Americans won't do." This would help get Congressional support for stopping illegal immigration from Mexico. And as all the people stuck in Haiti now leave Haiti itself would probably improve since the land, cities, and towns would no longer be so overcrowded. Between that and American investment in a newly stable Haiti the economy in Haiti would actually stand a chance of improving. Within 20 years we could Haitian statehood. Puerto Rico would probably rush to get in before Haiti. Maybe the Dominican Republic would follow shortly after that since the folks could look across the border and see how well their neighbors are doing.
Did I suddenly click on The Onion by mistake?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Why not? The Haitians are for it. It would clear up a lot of illegal immigration cases now and free up the Coast Gaurd in Florida to gdevote more resources to going after drug runners. Similarly you'd see a massive influx from the Haiti Territory to the mainland US where former Haitian now American workers would do "the jobs Americans won't do." This would help get Congressional support for stopping illegal immigration from Mexico. And as all the people stuck in Haiti now leave Haiti itself would probably improve since the land, cities, and towns would no longer be so overcrowded. Between that and American investment in a newly stable Haiti the economy in Haiti would actually stand a chance of improving. Within 20 years we could Haitian statehood. Puerto Rico would probably rush to get in before Haiti. Maybe the Dominican Republic would follow shortly after that since the folks could look across the border and see how well their neighbors are doing.
Can you show me any evidence that the majority of Haitians are for this?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Approximately 5% (probably the upper class Haitians) speak proper French a la the French and Qubecois. I sometimes hire a translator in my line of work who is obviously from Haiti's elite, and she translates both. She also has stories of spending time in France dating French actors and artists as a younger woman.

This is NOT the typical Haitian immigrant in South Florida.

Haitian Creole is very West African influenced. I think most French would have a hard time communicating or understanding creole.
How's YOUR French? I speak it fluently. We have a lot of Haitian immigrants here, and they're certainly not from the upper class or elite. Their French is very good.
Maybe the ones who don't speak it well go to South Florida, and the others go elsewhere? Does that make any sense?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
How's YOUR French? I speak it fluently. We have a lot of Haitian immigrants here, and they're certainly not from the upper class or elite. Their French is very good.
Maybe the ones who don't speak it well go to South Florida, and the others go elsewhere? Does that make any sense?

I speak French horribly. I am, however, in contact with Haitians very frequently, and know the difference between Creole and French.

As stated, the majority of Haitians do not know French.

If you are in contact with Haitian doctors in Canada , nurses, more upper class people from Haiti... then yes, you will find Haitians that speak French. Much like my favorite fabulous interpreter.

This is likely, since Canada has more stringent immigration requirements than the US, and it takes a lot more resources to get to Quebec than Miami from Haiti.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You made this comment "one can live next to non-Whites and still have a nice community with good schools." Why did you bring up "non-whites" in the first place if you didn't mean to connect them to perceived Haitian American success?

What were you asking me to prove? That Haitians in the Northeast are of the same caliber as the ones to be found in South Florida? I don't care what Haitians in the Northeast are. You honestly think those people are different? That is absolutely crazy. They are of the same ancestry and subscribe to the same cultural values as their South Florida and Caribbean relatives do. You speak of them as if they are some of unique ethnic sub-group. They aren't.

You say you have met only one of two "problematic persons". I can literally pull out my school yearbooks from my youth and give you the names of HUNDREDS of people that I know first hand who have become criminals, single mothers, high school dropouts, who display ghetto and bullish behavior or are religiously fanatical while sin is written all over their face. One of my very first instances of their absurd behavior must have been as young as 4th grade when a Haitian girl in our class wound up her fist and punched our teacher right in her face.

This community has done so much in front of my eyes for me to safely assume that I would probably find more comfort in other company. And the very thought that there are people in America who think we should annex this disaster of a country and culture in our own society terrifies the hell out of me.

I know my words are harsh, but you have to grow up seeing the things I saw for you to really understand where I am coming from. That community is eff up! And please take note that I do not feel this way about other immigrant groups from the Caribbean. One of my best friends is Bahamian and I am also aware of the economic success of the Jamaican community (though I actually do not know any Jamaican people. )

Edit: 4th grade. I pulled out my yearbook and found that nasty girls picture. She was HUGE. I remember her towering over me at that age and I'm a guy.
Despite the worst of the worst being Florida, the state has a rapid growing middle class Haitian community. So you probably live in a huge bubble.

And shame on you for slamming posters who are telling you what you're missing in the north east.

Put it like this, if you lived in New York or Toronto, you'd be saying the same crap about Jamaicans.

You ain't saying nuffin.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Well why should we annex Haiti? What does that corrupt tiny half an Island nation bring to the US that we need? We have a boat load of problems that we are to cash strapped to address already. Why should we add to our own burden?
To put things in perspective.
http://www.aidshealth.org/americas/haiti
http://www.indexmundi.com/haiti/majo..._diseases.html
http://www.bweducconsult.org/haiti
Do we really need to take on this burden?
Add to this trying to rebuild Haiti into a livable place.
No we not only can't afford it, but we should not take on any additional problems.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:03 PM

I think this has just turned into "bash Haiti and Haitians". And sadly, it doesn't surprise me.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,261 times
Quote:

We need more bleach and less dirt.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
We need more bleach and less dirt.
Do you care to clarify what you have just said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.