Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Funny thing is the new president of Haiti is doung well, creating new jobs, businesses and the tourism in Haiti is set to explode soon.

On anther thread I posted articles of Haiti being one of the new locations of building tablets that rival apple.

Haiti is not going to improve in 1 night like all you wish it could.

I can see why he thinks you're bashing Haiti because he actually does the "positive research" on the nation.

Something people are to lazy to do yet they have all the time to post the usual negatives of the island.
Have we not dumped tons of cash on Haiti and with little result?
Does Haiti not have the worst AIDS/HIV epidemic outside of Africa?
If Haiti is somehow improving? Good. But what makes them a benefit to the USA to Annex? Do we not have our own problems that we are too cash strapped to address? How can we afford to take on an additional Burden such as Haiti?
Call me lazy if you like, but I posted facts which is more than that poster did, or you for that matter.
I mean I'm sorry if the facts are upsetting or cold, but we simply can no longer afford to play sugar daddy to every troubled nation.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 PM

72,842 posts, read 62,249,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I replied to your post which followed mine. In mine I posted the HIV/AIDS rate for Haiti, Teen pregnancy etc.
If you weren't referring to my post, my apologies.
The fact remains that Haiti has received an enormous amount of aid and has done very little to improve their standard of living. They are beyond our means to save, nor are they as a return worthy of such an investment. What do they bring to the table that the USA needs?
I am not in favor of annexing any other country, but If I were to chose one it would be the PI.
I wasn't referring to your posts, so I accept your apology.

How much aid has Haiti received? And when was this aid administered?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wasn't referring to your posts, so I accept your apology.

How much aid has Haiti received? And when was this aid administered?
I mean no offense to you or anyone else, But the idea that we can some how afford to take on a huge new problem is too far from reality. It would be like saying we can afford another war or fund a massive moon colony. WE simply don't have the cash.

Foreign aid to Haiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haiti | Global Humanitarian Assistance
Haiti | Global Humanitarian Assistance
As you can see from the donors chart the aid has been huge.
I have nothing against Haiti other than we don't need the head ache or the burden. WE simply can't afford it.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,353,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Have we not dumped tons of cash on Haiti and with little result?
Does Haiti not have the worst AIDS/HIV epidemic outside of Africa?
If Haiti is somehow improving? Good. But what makes them a benefit to the USA to Annex? Do we not have our own problems that we are too cash strapped to address? How can we afford to take on an additional Burden such as Haiti?
Call me lazy if you like, but I posted facts which is more than that poster did, or you for that matter.
I mean I'm sorry if the facts are upsetting or cold, but we simply can no longer afford to play sugar daddy to every troubled nation.
Yea tell me something new and something I don't know. That was the whole point of my comment towards you. You have all the time to look up negative stats which are true yet rubbed in our faces everyday.

But the positive stuff I posted on the nation you probably had no care in the world to do research on.

I'm willing to bet you probably do not know that Haiti and Guyana are predicted to have the largest growth in the Caribbean in 2014.

So you can keep posting the same tiring true facts but me being annoyed by it will be optimistic and only focus on the positives moving forward.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:07 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I disagree. Like West Germany annexing the poorer East Germany in 1990, this would cost us too much money. Germany is still paying the costs of reunification 20 years later.
That's not really a good example, but the ends would be the same. This is a bad idea all the way around. We've already been doing too much nation building. We are hated and envied by the rest of the world, and it's time they stopped expecting us to save them when times are bad, only to spit on us when we are no longer needed.

We're losing our own country in the process.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Yea tell me something new and something I don't know. That was the whole point of my comment towards you. You have all the time to look up negative stats which are true yet rubbed in our faces everyday.

But the positive stuff I posted on the nation you probably had no care in the world to do research on.

I'm willing to bet you probably do not know that Haiti and Guyana are predicted to have the largest growth in the Caribbean in 2014.

So you can keep posting the same tiring true facts but me being annoyed by it will be optimistic and only focus on the positives moving forward.
No what I don't care for is taking on another burden. Quite honestly I am well traveled and avoid crapholes when I can. While in the service I had no choice, I went where ordered.
If Haiti some how becomes a Caribbean paradise then great, but it isn't one yet and it is far from it. Our nation is broke and a good many tax dollars have already been squandered on Haiti while our own do without. That is my issue with Haiti. Haiti is not our problem and we certainly don't need to make it our problem.

You like Haiti? Then move there, or invest your own money there. I mean no insult by this, I am serious. I love Thailand. My wife is Thai and I am investing my money there and will move there. Yes there are some negatives about Thailand. Most are exaggerated, but based on a sliver of truth.
This thread is about annexing a nation. I am against annexing any nation. My posts, based on facts, negative as they may be, are still facts, supporting my argument of why we should not annex Haiti. In fact we should stop all aid to Haiti or any other country, until we get our own issues under control.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 PM

22,611 posts, read 24,436,315 times
UMMM, no!!

And while we're at it...let's cut loose Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Virgin Islands......and all the other leeches
we don't need.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,845,137 times
This thread ain't looking real good even tho Haiti IS a mess.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 PM

72,842 posts, read 62,249,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This thread ain't looking real good even tho Haiti IS a mess.
This is the way I see it. There are many problems in Haiti. It is true that Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. There are issues with AIDS, poverty, illiteracy, and crime. However, the tone that I've seen here is often that of hatred towards Haiti. Hatred isn't going to solve anything. Complaining isn't going to solve anything. And suggesting that one should annex another nation, well, that's basically colonialism.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 PM

16,870 posts, read 10,514,613 times
We have enough poor people in this country. If we annex anyone it should be Luxembourg. They have money and I don't foresee much of a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies