Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

The real pressure on congress is the defcit facing the nation that amounts to 13 trillio that grows to 50 trillion by thtine CBO says it is paid. It means the end to sate and local governmnts feeding off fedewral pork. What politcians see is not running on a record of brign home the posk in the future. Tha sacres them to death to have to give their incombent advantage away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM

73 posts, read 42,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Someone who knows better:

The Giving Pledge

IMO, the soldiers give their life, the workers their labor, and the rich can certainly contribute what is within their capacity as well. Why is it that I hear more rhetoric about (trickle down) distribution of wealth but not about distribution of sacrifices and hard work (trickling up)?
It is actually a two way street. Those who have built themselves up have to be there to aid those who are trying to build themselves up.

To me, I feel that aid will flow much more efficiently without Government getting in the way. Warren Buffett Chooses to be philanthropic. He does not need the Government reaching into his pocket.

Just look at Steinbrenner who passed away today, many look at him and call him greedy. This guy worked his way up form nothing to owning the most valuable sports team on the planet not to mention his shipping business. He also was one of the most generous with his wealth. And his policy on money he donated was the donor remain anyonmous.

Those who have built themselves up do help society. Its too bad big government wants to pick their pocket and send their money through a beaurocratic wringer before it gets to where it is supposed to get.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughLou View Post
It is actually a two way street. Those who have built themselves up have to be there to aid those who are trying to build themselves up.

To me, I feel that aid will flow much more efficiently without Government getting in the way. Warren Buffett Chooses to be philanthropic. He does not need the Government reaching into his pocket.
He disagrees with you. I loved the paragraph where he compares sacrifices of a soldier and contributions of a teacher to the rich. To go back to something along the lines I said earlier, why do many defend the wealth of the rich with ferocity while they don't think that a laborer contributes much, and the life of a soldier is fine in the hands of the government.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
One look at the "paris hilton's" of the world should certainly make one think twice about leaving much wealth to "the coming generations". . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies