Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times

Advertisements

Obama is not a real man. He's a puppet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bad part is that there is a black president who could really have a great effect on black people improving themselves.

What has been done to improve public education so that our kids are learning more?

What has been done to improve the ability of private businesses to hire people?

All that is being done is that he is transferring wealth from the rich to the poor through tax regulation - but what does that do for the next generation?

The president has done statisically zero for black people up to this point - but when he needs black people, there is the First Lady at the NAA(L)CP asking for more support to keep their people in office - lamenting the bad state of black people while her husband has done nothing to improve the status of the middle and lower class.

What a waste so far.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your post has substance, but it does not answer one very important question: Why are so many people, regardless of race, having sex with men/women that they would not marry? Don't get me wrong, i'm not innocent in this regard. But I also took all appropriate measures to make sure that I didn't bring a child into this world. So why are so many people so irresponsible?

To me, it all goes back to what I said in my first post: Personal irresponsibility and the apparent lack of desire to stop the revolving door.

There's no excuse whatsoever for this.
The reason is that sex is a biological directive programmed in our DNA, while marriage is simply a social construct of humanity. Thus, sex is a biological constant persuit, while marriage is not. People are having sex with people they will not marry because the pool of people who see others, or themselves, as marriage material is declining percentage wise.

Its not like people are going to stop having sex….or wanting offspring, just because they cannot find a mate worthy of spending and dedicating the rest of their lives to. So in a world of decreasing quality of marriage material individuals, the biological directives stand as a constant drum beat uninterrupted by changing social constructions.

There might not be an excuse for it....but there is certainly a REASON for it...its called biology.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I was wondering why it is getting worse, it should be improving. Isn't that the point of the social programs that have been instituted over the years.
It is improving for many blacks. Even the article states that the black middle and upperclass were making advances.

I don't know what particular social programs you're talking about, but they have helped many of those who were ready to take responsibility for their lives and were motivated to succeed. This motivation is often lacking in the underclasses of any race.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The reason is that sex is a biological directive programmed in our DNA, while marriage is simply a social construct of humanity. Thus, sex is a biological constant persuit, while marriage is not. People are having sex with people they will not marry because the pool of people who see others, or themselves, as marriage material is declining percentage wise.

Its not like people are going to stop having sex….or wanting offspring, just because they cannot find a mate worthy of spending and dedicating the rest of their lives to. So in a world of decreasing quality of marriage material individuals, the biological directives stand as a constant drum beat uninterrupted by changing social constructions.

There might not be an excuse for it....but there is certainly a REASON for it...its called biology.
Sex is programmed by God into humans so in order to fulfill the "be fruitful and multiply" command. Unfortunately, pretty much all generations since Adam have been overzealous in their sexual activity - as have I before I got my act together.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:

I agree on the sex part. I disagree with the notion that most children out of wedlock are the products of people who can't find suitable mates for life. I believe most children who are born out of wedlock are the products of irresponsible activities by irresponsible adults. A person can have sex and not make children. The (selfish) desire for offspring while aspiring to live life as bachelor/bachelorette does a huge disservice to the children and to the social construct of this nation. Statistics proves this without question.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:

The thing that separates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to reason. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people having children with unsuitable mates are the result of carelessness and not a biological imperative.

And your theory doesn't even take into account the rising number of childless women.

Last edited by yayoi; 07-13-2010 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I said nothing about where you live, although it is not just gated communities that close themselves to blacks of any kind. I know. I have been in this situation, though I had more than enough money to live where I wanted.

Still waiting for those solutions.....
Again, the best solutions tend to be everything BUT government solutions. The ultimate solution is a CURTAILING or PHASING OUT of government social programs such as TANIF and food stamps. (!!! I know: incomprehensible to a liberal!!!!) How liberating would it be for the underclass to make up their minds not to accept government handouts and to accept nothing less but their very own best personal efforts.

That's my solution for the underclass to be something other than a self-perpetuating entity. Solutions for cutting the deficit include a lot of the curtailment of the military, including an end to NATO, and the reduction or elimination of many middle-class entitlement programs but that is a discussion for another thread, isn't it?

Stop pretending that all solutions come out of Washington and admit that most of our self-defeating ideas come from there.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
I agree on the sex part. I disagree with the notion that most children out of wedlock are the products of people who can't find suitable mates for life. I believe most children who are born out of wedlock are the products of irresponsible activities by irresponsible adults. A person can have sex and not make children. The (selfish) desire for offspring while aspiring to live life as bachelor/bachelorette does a huge disservice to the children and to the social construct of this nation. Statistics proves this without question.
Don't understand it, with all the birth control available.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
Ironic "hmmmm" that you use in your comments of my post, "Indentured". Hmmmm.............

Don't believe "true freedom" can be anything but a derogatory remark, huh? Hmmmm........

Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
You seem to be implying things that I did not say. I did not qualify my argument as being a majority or minority causation. I also did not say that people have children born out of wedlock ONLY because they cannot find a suitable mate. It’s likely that they themselves are not suitable mates in that they recognize that they don’t want to give up having relationships with other women or men. Should a person get married while continuing to have sexual relationships with others? What the point of getting married if you are not going to uphold the vows?

Yes, people can have sex and not have children, but again, producing children is a biological directive of life. However, you have to take into consideration that although the rate of out of wedlock births have risen sharply in the last 50 years, simultaneously the rate of poverty has radically fallen inversely. More and more single and successful women are deciding to have children and not wait for “Mr. Right” to come along because their biological clock might run out while waiting for the quality mate they desire. Thus, the directive to fulfill the biological role of the women, which is to bring forth life, often overpower SOCIAL conformity that says that one must be married before they have children.

If think the misconception about the rates of OOWL birth is that it’s all manifesting among the POOR. That’s not true, at least not in the black community. There are large number of African American males who have been killed, or who are in jails or who are unemployed….or gay…or are dating other races of women, that really puts a strain on the ability of the black women to find a quality black mate, given that black women are starting to dominate the college campuses while the black males dominate the jail cells. Should these women deny themselves children because of this...when they can finacially support the children and who have males that can serve as surrogate father or male role models?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies