Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
However I think the best support you can give our troop is to advocate for them to come home NOW.
Absolutely. Write letters to your elected officials and demand they get us out of these idiotic, unwinnable, senseless foreign wars. Tell them you'll vote against anyone who isn't actively taking steps to bring our troops home, and then DO IT. When both Party's candidates remain silent on opposing the wars, then start a write-in campaign for the best anti-war alternative.

You CANNOT support the troops while still leaving them overseas to be used as target practice. They cannot "win" a war when nobody in the entire Country has idea what "winning" would mean. With a national debt of over $13 trillion and still skyrocketing, the time for power-projection is over.

I would love to know why, with the Presidency and both Houses of Congress boasting a Democratic majority, we still have both the old moronic war and a brand-new one. I asked a Democrat why his party hadn't done anything to stop the supposedly "Republican" wars, and he replied that the Republicans wouldn't allow it!

If the Republicans could stop ANYTHING, they would have stopped Obamacare. There was 100% Republican opposition, with a large percentage of Independent voters also opposing, and it didn't make a bit of difference.

Would any liberal Democrats here care to explain how the wars are blamed on the Republicans, but the Democrats have total power and don't do anything but escalate them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 PM
OMD

7 posts, read 3,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

Would any liberal Democrats here care to explain how the wars are blamed on the Republicans, but the Democrats have total power and don't do anything but escalate them?
one democratic president does not equal ALL DEMOCRATS. In fact, im willing to bet most democrats are miffed with us still at war.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMD View Post
I've never seen anyone protest our men and women. However, i have seen people protect against why they are fighting.

I think people assume that if you are against the war then you must not support our troops.

Like it or not, the perception is that you hate the troops if you protest the war. Not saying that you do--that's just the perception.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
I hate the war, too -- and I am not too strongly in favor of our political scene in general, but this is really about supporting the troops. So far, I've read: buying them a drink, sending care packages to them, and saying thank you. Somehow, it doesn't truly seem like support to me.

Are there any businesses out there that gives a discount to military personnel, or favor returned vets in their hiring practices? Do returning vets get welcome home baskets (like the old welcome wagon baskets), or any public recognition in any of your towns? I'm seeing memorials to the fallen, but are there any communities celebrating the returned?

Any other ideas?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 PM
OMD

7 posts, read 3,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Like it or not, the perception is that you hate the troops if you protest the war.
That is exactly correct. Where does this perception come from>?

I think it's just used as a hominem

Old 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I keep seeing all the car decals, the business signs in windows, but -- really, is anyone actually doing anything?

What are you doing, besides waving your flag, or buying the decals?

Not judging; just curious. I am not doing a thing.
Support The Troops = Send Them Home.

Unless they are protesting to end these wars of aggression or otherwise trying to find a way to convince their legislators to vote against the crimes of war in Afghanistan and Iraq then they are not supporting the troops in the best way possible.

There are a multitude of other ways to support the troops, but removing them from unnecessary harm and possible death, injury, or mental trauma, they need to return from unnecessary war zones of our own creation and sustaining, as well as the funding to pay for all this carnage.

Myself, I send $$$ to DAV.org

Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Myself, I send $$$ to DAV.org
Thank you for this information. I just checked out the site, and this looks like something I can get behind, and not feel like I am just giving "lip service" to the term "support."

Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I keep seeing all the car decals, the business signs in windows, but -- really, is anyone actually doing anything?

What are you doing, besides waving your flag, or buying the decals?

Not judging; just curious. I am not doing a thing.
Nothing is more patriotic than buying a magnet made in China to tell others how patriotic you are while you drive to the grocery store.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nothing is more patriotic than buying a magnet made in China to tell others how patriotic you are while you drive to the grocery store.

I have to agree. It is not about flags or decals or even letters. It is about caring enough to say thank you to them and their families. It is about realizing that without them we could not live as we all do. It is about respecting what they do even if you don't agree with it.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM

I discovered a way that you can help support homeless veterns with children. According to a news release I came across while investigating nonprofits, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) objects to the Homeless Veterans and Other Veterans Health Care Authorities Act of 2010 that would require federally funded veterans’ centers to provide resources to homeless female veterans and homeless male veterans with children.

It would be very easy to email Senator McConnell, as well as your own senators, and convey your support of our troops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies