Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should an airline be required by law to protect 14-year-olds from unruly passengers?
Yes 10 21.74%
No 29 63.04%
Not sure 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If he paid the unaccompanied minor fee that is supposed to include supervision and oversight, then yes, Southwest should be held accountable. He should sue the woman as a matter of course.
If it really occurred the way they say it happened, they need to file criminal charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
arrrghhh, this crap pi$$es me off! why is it the airlines fault that a major loser, scumbag was on? man looking to make a little extra money? you know, I would never think to sue the airline for something like this...

Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Honestly I would have said no. Sue the offending woman in question and I hope they beat the daylights out of her in court.

However, he did repeatedly request for help from employees, and that's where the airline is dead to rights wrong. If the genders were reversed would you change your mind? What if the sexual orientation were reversed? Fair is fair is fair if equality were the true objective. When it's not it's just a game of opportunist cards. Correct? Equal rights means I have to stand up for boys too.

ok, my bad, I was too lazy to read the story so now my opinion has changed...if this man was asking for help from the airline employees and they did nothing, then dang straight, slap that law suit on them!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
I have a problem w/ a few points in the story. SW DOES NOT have assigned seats. If seats are available you can sit wherever you want. Also, if he told the attendants that he wanted to move cause he was being harassed they would have called the air-marshal or moved the offender to the jump seat for detained passengers.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good points.

If it were a man hitting on a 14-year-old girl, people would be totally outraged. The same would be true if it had been a man who was hitting on the 14-year-old boy.
Possibly true... and personally I plead guilt to holding to such a double standard with an exception for the drug issue. I shamelessly felt the same way about female teachers seducing underaged males students. Calk it up to memories of my own 14 year old sexual fantasies.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
ok, my bad, I was too lazy to read the story so now my opinion has changed...if this man was asking for help from the airline employees and they did nothing, then dang straight, slap that law suit on them!
hey cool breeze the man was a pimply faced fourteen year old.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
hey cool breeze the man was a pimply faced fourteen year old.
I 'think' the dad asked for help, not the boy? I guess I should read the story instead of all these little comments lol

Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Man says teen son was sexually harassed on flight - Travel - News - msnbc.com

Should he be going after Southwest - or the woman who offered sex and drugs to his son?
The only smart thing to do is go after SW since they have money. The old woman probably has no money. So, "follow the money" is the rule.

Now, is that fair? Absolutely not. But it's real life.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Definitely some holes in this story. I'm going to have to assume that the flight attendant(s) were not aware of the reason the boy wanted to move.

If a 14 y/o boy asked a flight atttendant multiple times to be reseated because he was being sexually harrassed by an obviously older female passenger and offered drugs, then I'd agree, the flight attendant needed to take action.

I have to believe if the boy called the flight attendant over multiple times, there would then be multiple witnesses. As someone that flies often, you can hear most any conversation in your vicinity. Other passengers would have picked up on the harrassment after the initial call to the F/A.

So basically, it depends what was exactly communicated to the F/A as to whether more action needed to be taken in my opinion.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My question is, can any of this be proved? Were there witnesses or is it just the boys word? The article doesn't give any details so it will just have to be determined via the legal system.
Exactly..... We're only hearing one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies