Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with comparing President Obama to Adolf Hitler?
Yes 23 24.73%
No 68 73.12%
Not sure 2 2.15%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I think comparing anyone to Hitler is wrong.
I disagree. It is important to learn from history, and comparisons are natural. They must be valid however, not just because "they did it so will I" rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Clever for an Iowan.

It's stupid to compare Obama to Hitler just as it's stupid to compare the Tea Party to the KKK. The sign is immature, out of line, and it's going to backfire.

Right..........

I liked it so much I think that I will have the same billboard put up in our town. I wonder how you footnote such things? It probably costs about $10-15K and would be a riot.

The only individuals who are deriding the comparison (ironically, with insults such as "stupid" and "immature") are too obtuse to understand that tyranny comes in many different flavors, but the effect of the poison is still the same- suppression of individual liberties.

The billboard, while blunt, should be cause for contemplation for even liberals. No one benefits from suppression of individual liberties, not even liberals. Whenever there is a politician, despite the party, who promotes the supremecy of the federal government at the expense of the rights of the individual and the state, persons who value thier freedom SHOULD BE terrified.

However, with the blind allegiance to political parties, loyal party members turn a blind eye to transgressions and infringement upon thier personal rights as the offending party is a member of "thier team". In this fashion, a fascist, such as Obama, is given a free pass by loyal party members and the press, as his offenses occurr while wearing a "D" on his cap. If he had an "R" on his cap, there would be cries of outrage and objection. It appears as though the "cap", not the policy, makes all the difference to the loyal throngs. Intelligence 0 Blind Stupidity 1

I see such billboards (the left hates them, as there can be no dissention in a totalitarian state) as a sign, so to speak, that there is still some marginal intelligence left in the US. When there is no dissention, the republic has died.

I ask those who condemn the comparison to tell me how specifically, Lenin and Hitler differ from Obama. I am an educated man (certainly with more education than most people on this board by sheer number of years) and of a high measured IQ. I have read "Mein Kampf" and have read "Das Kapital" and am very familar with the political history of the third reich and the USSR. I really do not seem a dime's difference between Obama, Lenin, and Hitler and offer that the only real difference is the means through which each was able to administer terror and atrocities to thier own population. I very much see Obama as a genocidal maniac in training, such that given the opportunity, he would implement the policies that he espouses, gaining him a position much higher on the scale of despotism than Hitler or Lenin. He just needs time.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,773,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Iowa Tea Party group's sign links Obama, Hitler - Politics - Decision 2010 - msnbc.com

I think you'd have to be a deranged fool in order to make this comparison.
And to Shelby's credit, she insisted it was inappropriate. This would be the downside to catchall activism- never know what crawls out the woodwork posing as legit.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Precedence was set and was largely accepted. It's disingenuous to cry foul now.

If any group doesn't want its own tactics turned back on them, don't use them in the first place. Conservatives use liberal playbook

Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,362,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Germany is now a democray. Remember who won the war?
They were a democracy before Hitler.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
They were a democracy before Hitler.
They were a democracy when Obama went there.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 PM

425 posts, read 366,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right..........

I very much see Obama as a genocidal maniac in training, such that given the opportunity, he would implement the policies that he espouses, gaining him a position much higher on the scale of despotism than Hitler or Lenin. He just needs time.
And if those days had not been made short there would have been no salvation for any, but because of the saints those days will be made short.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 PM

382 posts, read 302,554 times
I don't like dictators but I have some things in common with one of those.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,362,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They were a democracy when Obama went there.
No kidding I wouild have never have known

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Precedence was set and was largely accepted. It's disingenuous to cry foul now.
Indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies