U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you agree with comparing President Obama to Adolf Hitler?
Yes 23 24.73%
No 68 73.12%
Not sure 2 2.15%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
 
6,743 posts, read 8,797,026 times
Reputation: 1854

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't remember anything even close to how Bush was castigated by those who didn't like him. Always things like that from the outs for the ins but never anything like that or like we now see about Obama. Maybe we really going down a slippery slope to nowhere.
Unfortunately I think you're right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,884 posts, read 30,862,930 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Übersetzung und Webseiten Übersetzung

I'm sorry, but I don't think that I'll put energy in a translation, only to have it ignored by those who might not agree with it. (You're not the one I mean here).

babelfish is rather cumbersome (and funny), but it will get you near a translation.




We do, Tag der Arbeit (Labor Day). Germany and Switzerland still honour this day, not to celebrate communism, but to celebrate the average worker.
Unfortunately, the last 5-10 years have seen an increase in after-parade riots, mostly unemployed youths from the suburbs who vent their frustration (or even think that it is the cool thing to do...)
In Zürich, it goes down around where I live, on the edge of the red-light district, with a majority of small businesses that are regularily destroyed during these riots. Can't believe the stupidity and brutality of people sometimes...
Your description of May Day brought back so many memories to me. They wouldn't allow us to go to town on May Day because the Americans and the local Communists always got tangled up on that day. It was the same in northern Italy at Udine where I spent about 14 months. Udine was a real hotbed of Communism back in 1956 and 1957.

Do you know much about the geography of Bavaria? I was stationed at Bad Aibling and spent some time at Landschutt. Beautiful country (except it rained too much), beautiful people, although some of them were haters of America and of the newly armed German Army. They loved us, for our money and our protective services, and refused to accept the new German soldiers. I got in more than one brawl in Munich when we saw them beating German soldiers who we supported fully. It was easy to see why those people just couldn't be happy with re-armament though.

I might get time to look at Babel later today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,884 posts, read 30,862,930 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Unfortunately I think you're right.
The most important word in your post is obviously, unfortunately. I wish it weren't that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,162,674 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Explain how America has fundamentally changed, please.

the takeover of large chunks of industry.....the health care "reform"......financial "reform"...coming immigration "reform".....cap and trade.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Zürich, Schweiz
338 posts, read 292,693 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Udine was a real hotbed of Communism back in 1956 and 1957.
Probably still is, the whole northern mountainous part of Italy is. My wife's family stems from around Bergamo, spent some summers there and there were tons of old partigiani (partisans) who had fought against Franco. I've been to two villages where every family had at least one son/husband publicly executed by the fascists (while the women had to watch). Stuff like this tends to brand people ideologically for a long time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you know much about the geography of Bavaria? I was stationed at Bad Aibling and spent some time at Landschutt. Beautiful country (except it rained too much), beautiful people, although some of them were haters of America and of the newly armed German Army.
I've been to Munich a few times, to visit friends and, of course, the Oktoberfest. But I've never gotten around the region. I've been told that it looks a lot like Switzerland, without the really high mountains.


btw, sorry everybody for having gotten OT here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,387 posts, read 8,885,873 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
the takeover of large chunks of industry.....the health care "reform"......financial "reform"...coming immigration "reform".....cap and trade.....
Explain how any of those has fundamentally changed America and affected you negatively.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,387 posts, read 8,885,873 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you have health insurance from your employer? If so, maybe you need to ask them about what will be done when they fill out your 1099 and report all the money they have to pay out for you. Yep, you get to pay income tax on that amount. Oh, January 2011 is going to contain some real surprises from Dirty Harry and Andy Stern for those who didn't read the bill they voted for. It is good for Congress that they passed that law that keeps them from having to help pay for Obamacare out of their pockets.

Yeah, I'm shaking in my boots over how much more I'm going to pay than what I am already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,765 posts, read 26,917,590 times
Reputation: 12295
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity," he said in 1933, "because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood." His countrymen would have to choose: "One is either a Christian or a German. You can't be both."

Dave Shiflett on Hitler and Christianity on National Review Online (http://old.nationalreview.com/shiflett/shiflett012102.shtml - broken link)
Hitler was no fan of Catholicism and the politics that went with it (as I mentioned earlier, he was a student of Martin Luther). In general, the whole purpose of his rhetoric was to gain control, and "Christianity" was a platform he used. You can't deny that. Whether he was truly a Christian or not remains debatable. But then, I say that about a lot of people here who claim to be Christians but their actions couldn't be farther from what it entails.

Hitler did want to destroy Christianity as it stood so he could create his own version, under one umbrella as opposed to many factions as they existed.

National Socialism has always affirmed that it is determined to take the Christian Churches under the protection of the State.... The decisive factor which can justify the existence alike of Church and State is the maintenance of men's spiritual and bodily health, for it that health were destroyed it would mean the end of the State and also the end of the Church.... It is my sincere hope that thereby for Germany, too, through free agreement there has been produced a final clarification of spheres in the functions of the State and of one Church. - Hitler, 1933

And he was anti-atheism as well (also stemming for his immense hatred against communists who he saw as such):

We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out. - Hitler, 1933

As for Obama, he doesn't seem to be appeasing the majority (Christians), certainly ain't anti-atheism, so can we put to rest that he and Hitler aren't even close on this subject?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 1,687,977 times
Reputation: 2210
This, along with so many other things, just goes to show the capacity for absolute ignorance and stupidity the human race can muster. Never ceases to repulse me.

Just a bunch of children with too much time and money at their disposal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
 
25,334 posts, read 15,126,247 times
Reputation: 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Hitler was no fan of Catholicism and the politics that went with it (as I mentioned earlier, he was a student of Martin Luther). In general, the whole purpose of his rhetoric was to gain control, and "Christianity" was a platform he used. You can't deny that. Whether he was truly a Christian or not remains debatable. But then, I say that about a lot of people here who claim to be Christians but their actions couldn't be farther from what it entails.

Hitler did want to destroy Christianity as it stood so he could create his own version, under one umbrella as opposed to many factions as they existed.

National Socialism has always affirmed that it is determined to take the Christian Churches under the protection of the State.... The decisive factor which can justify the existence alike of Church and State is the maintenance of men's spiritual and bodily health, for it that health were destroyed it would mean the end of the State and also the end of the Church.... It is my sincere hope that thereby for Germany, too, through free agreement there has been produced a final clarification of spheres in the functions of the State and of one Church. - Hitler, 1933

And he was anti-atheism as well (also stemming for his immense hatred against communists who he saw as such):

We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out. - Hitler, 1933

As for Obama, he doesn't seem to be appeasing the majority (Christians), certainly ain't anti-atheism, so can we put to rest that he and Hitler aren't even close on this subject?

Obama and Hitler are, again, very similar in this regard. Both used Christianity as a poltiical prop in order to gain more acceptance from the masses, to whom this presentation was appealing. Neither Obama nor Hitler are or were actually Christians, but used that image in an effort to gain more political support and secure thier power.

All great tyrants have used religion as a tool to rally politcal support and claim righteous justification for thier poliices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top