Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times

Advertisements

Tax Cut Delusions - Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com
Ezra Klein is Dismayed that Some People Think The Bush Tax Cuts Raised Revenue « *Modeled Behavior

Had the Bush tax cuts really worked, they would have spurred enough growth that federal tax revenues would've approached where they were before the tax cuts. This never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Tax Cut Delusions - Paul Krugman Blog - NYTimes.com
Ezra Klein is Dismayed that Some People Think The Bush Tax Cuts Raised Revenue « *Modeled Behavior

Had the Bush tax cuts really worked, they would have spurred enough growth that federal tax revenues would've approached where they were before the tax cuts. This never happened.
Not according to left wing blogs. Record tax revenues rolled in under Bush.

Why then are the dems considering extending the tax cuts?

How will they walk back their lies about tax cuts for the rich?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
The only thing that saved the economy from complete destruction the first 5 years of office, was the constant lowering of the interest rate.

Now we've run into a situation where we can't lower the interest rate anymore, and the economy is stalled. So we find ourselves in a real pickle. On one hand, you can raise the interest rate, which would hurt the economy worse, or you can raise taxes to pay down the debt, which would hurt the economy in the short term.

More tax cuts are far from the answer, but less spending in places like military would be a great start, IMO.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The only thing that saved the economy from complete destruction the first 5 years of office, was the constant lowering of the interest rate.

Now we've run into a situation where we can't lower the interest rate anymore, and the economy is stalled. So we find ourselves in a real pickle. On one hand, you can raise the interest rate, which would hurt the economy worse, or you can raise taxes to pay down the debt, which would hurt the economy in the short term.

More tax cuts are far from the answer, but less spending in places like military would be a great start, IMO.
The reason for the great economy during the Bush years was that people were using their homes as MAC machines. I understand this.

That doesn't delude the fact that record tax revenues came in. The problem then, as is now, spending.

Leave the Military alone.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
how about less spending in medicare/medicaid...they are MORE than the military

how about less spending on welfare...its at the same level as the military

how about USING the gas tax as it was INTENDED for the upkeep of the roads

Quote:
isnt that what is happening NOW...mortgage rates are lower NOW than during bush...the prime rate is lower NOW than during bush

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how about less spending in medicare/medicaid...they are MORE than the military

how about less spending on welfare...its at the same level as the military

how about USING the gas tax as it was INTENDED for the upkeep of the roads

isnt that what is happening NOW...mortgage rates are lower NOW than during bush...the prime rate is lower NOW than during bush
No, you're misleading people.

When you add all of the healthcare costs together, yes, the total cost is more than the official DOD budget. However, when you add in all of the other stuff in the budget tied to the military, even their health costs, it makes up almost 50% of our total budget.

So, less troops, less bases = less healthcare, and more money in vital areas like infrastructure, investment in scientific research, and we can even keep the people insured that we have now.

All of that on top of less war.

I don't know about you, but less war sounds better than less healthcare.

And you're right it is lower, but no one lowered it more than during the Bush presidencies 8 years. Clinton started that ball rolling, which is something I disagreed with him on.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
And you're right it is lower, but no one lowered it more than during the Bush presidencies 8 years. Clinton started that ball rolling, which is something I disagreed with him on.
so you think interest rates and tax rate should be high?????

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so you think interest rates and tax rate should be high?????
I think the interest rate should have been left higher, starting with Reagan.

The last several Presidents have been lowering the interest rate to keep inflation down, but didn't check spending.

Interest rates should never go below 5%, IMO. Our money was worth more, now its worth nothing.

As far as tax rates, I think tax rates should have been kept at least at the level they were under the Clinton administration. I personally favor a flat tax, one flat percentage for all Americans. Lowering taxes during a war was a stupid move, and not a conservative Republican answer.

See, conservatives now think that all they should stand for is lower taxes. Actually, what conservatives used to stand for was responsible spending, and raising taxes when extra expenditures came up, like war.

Bush should have raised taxes to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We'd have been out of there a hell of a lot quicker, I guarantee that.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I think the interest rate should have been left higher, starting with Reagan.

The last several Presidents have been lowering the interest rate to keep inflation down, but didn't check spending.

Interest rates should never go below 5%, IMO. Our money was worth more, now its worth nothing.

As far as tax rates, I think tax rates should have been kept at least at the level they were under the Clinton administration. I personally favor a flat tax, one flat percentage for all Americans. Lowering taxes during a war was a stupid move, and not a conservative Republican answer.

See, conservatives now think that all they should stand for is lower taxes. Actually, what conservatives used to stand for was responsible spending, and raising taxes when extra expenditures came up, like war.

Bush should have raised taxes to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We'd have been out of there a hell of a lot quicker, I guarantee that.

Quote:
think the interest rate should have been left higher, starting with Reagan.
ineterst rates under carter/reagan were 10% or higher...and that sucks

Quote:
I agree, but also have out rates equal with in rates ( ie it was nice to earn 5% on a passbook savings, but it would suck to spend 12% on a mortgage,...) it would be nice to see it "closer" to even

Quote:
As far as tax rates, I think tax rates should have been kept at least at the level they were under the Clinton administration.
the clinton lower...yes...the clinton after raising them no...I think the brackets are pretty good right now...before the bush cuts the poor had to pay 15% instaed of 10%

Quote:
I personally favor a flat tax, one flat percentage for all Americans.
I actually like the fair-tax

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Quote:
Lowering taxes during a war was a stupid move, and not a conservative Republican answer.

Bush should have raised taxes to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We'd have been out of there a hell of a lot quicker, I guarantee that
I think bush should had done like in the past.....WAR BONDS

Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:

I thought lowering interest rates actually created inflation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies