Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,094,173 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious... I see a lot of intellectual dishonesty on this discussion board. So here's my question:

Is it permissible to use intellectual dishonesty to advance what you perceive as a greater good?

For example: If you perceive that tax cuts are a greater good and help society is it permissible to paint the expiring Bush-era tax cuts as a tax hike, when they are truly not?

or

If you perceive ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as a greater good is it permissible to paint BOTH wars as illegal and unjustified (even if the Afghani war was justified due to 9/11)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,995,992 times
Since the dems are supposedly the "intellectuals", they must be the liars.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,061,580 times
An expiring tax cut is a tax hike. I don't see the intellectual dishonesty there. The intellectual dishonesty comes from a certain President who said that "you will not see any of your taxes go up one dime" when its obvious that that's a colossal lie.

I'm less concerned with intellectual dishonesty in the electorate and more concerned with intellectual dishonesty from our elected leaders who have the power to make radical changes in our lives and lie at our expense.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Since the dems are supposedly the "intellectuals", they must be the liars.
Foolish post. Not to mention a great example of the intellectual dishonesty I am talking about!

Please don't take this as an opportunity to liberal or conservative bash. If you can't discuss this intelligently, please don't discuss it at all.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
An expiring tax cut is a tax hike. I don't see the intellectual dishonesty there. The intellectual dishonesty comes from a certain President who said that "you will not see any of your taxes go up one dime" when its obvious that that's a colossal lie.

I'm less concerned with intellectual dishonesty in the electorate and more concerned with intellectual dishonesty from our elected leaders who have the power to make radical changes in our lives and lie at our expense.
Fine the point is intellectual dishonest is rampant on both sides... "Death Panels" is another example if you reject the example of the expiring tax cuts...

It is used by both the electorate AND politicians... I'm concerned that on this board it's used so much, most don't even know when they're doing it.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Foolish post. Not to mention a great example of the intellectual dishonesty I am talking about!

Please don't take this as an opportunity to liberal or conservative bash. If you can't discuss this intelligently, please don't discuss it at all.
Who do you think you're talking to?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,606,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm just curious... I see a lot of intellectual dishonesty on this discussion board. So here's my question:

Is it permissible to use intellectual dishonesty to advance what you perceive as a greater good?

For example: If you perceive that tax cuts are a greater good and help society is it permissible to paint the expiring Bush-era tax cuts as a tax hike, when they are truly not?

or

If you perceive ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as a greater good is it permissible to paint BOTH wars as illegal and unjustified (even if the Afghani war was justified due to 9/11)?

Perception (always subjective) is the key. One person's truth is another's lie. Sifting and sorting out "truths" takes a lifetime of practice, good judgment and common sense. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Who do you think you're talking to?
Anyone who reads the post. I am not talking to you, but addressing the foolish post you made.

Are you attempting to be threatening?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Perception (always subjective) is the key. One person's truth is another's lie. Sifting and sorting out "truths" takes a lifetime of practice, good judgment and common sense. Good luck.
But ultimately there is a single truth. There were no Death Panels in the Health Care Bill. Afghanistan was a very reasonable target following 9-11. When people screamed Death panels (or that the Afghanistan war is illegal) they must know they are distorting the truth-- and being intellectually dishonest.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,517,749 times
I don't know if dishonesty is ever intellectual in my book.

Smoke and mirrors. Is that what you mean? Obama's administration. They like to fancy themselves as intellectual. Really Obama is just another sleezy, underhanded, uber-liberal politician from Chi town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies