Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes it is, because it is not using percentage or a rate, but emphasizes on losses and recovery (getting to the same level where it started), and the duration it took for the recovery.

If you still can't digest it, could you, at the very minimum, not compare 2001 recession to 2007+ recession?
Yes, you could compare 2001 to 2007 recession for some interesting observation. I only mention that its flawed because the purpose of it is to show how bad the recession is by claiming numbers are what counts when indeed comparing the 2007 recession to one from 1948 is ridiculous simply due to population count.
Quote:
For example?
Thats my point. Democrats like to claim Bush abused the veto power and had he not veto'd bills, the economy wouldnt have been as bad as it is, but when asked for examples of bills veto'd which would have had a positive effect upon the economy they cant name any..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM

37,183 posts, read 19,186,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
After you start by listing the bills veto'd by W which would have turned the economy around..
I'm not aware that W vetoed any bills between 2001-2006.

Did I miss something?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Yes, you could compare 2001 to 2007 recession for some interesting observation. I only mention that its flawed because the purpose of it is to show how bad the recession is by claiming numbers are what counts when indeed comparing the 2007 recession to one from 1948 is ridiculous simply due to population count.
The problem is that you focused on something trivial. I didn't even look for numbers, but the rate at which job losses occurred, and the time it took to recover.

Even if you were to consider the population, what difference would it make in the time taken for job recovery?

Quote:
Thats my point. Democrats like to claim Bush abused the veto power and had he not veto'd bills, the economy wouldnt have been as bad as it is, but when asked for examples of bills veto'd which would have had a positive effect upon the economy they cant name any..
Economy never recovered under Bush. Sure, stock market did, and "unemployment rate" (a horrible measure, as I've always claimed) looked acceptable, but did it speak for the real economic mess?

Which vetoes are you specifically talking about?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
It took the GOP 8 years to wreck it and it will take that long to fix.
gosh, before I even knew that this thread had been created, a bunch of you have jumped in to state the obvious. . . . .I feel so useless here sometimes. . . .

Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,085 times
Recession could have come and gone, taken the big hit and recovered. Instead we're wasting billions to cushion a blow thats coming either way.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm not aware that W vetoed any bills between 2001-2006.

Did I miss something?
It seems you missed 2006-2008

Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The problem is that you focused on something trivial.
Its not at all trivial to point out the flaws in the chart..
Quote:
I didn't even look for numbers, but the rate at which job losses occurred, and the time it took to recover.
But the whole chart is based upon numbers (in thousands)
Quote:
Even if you were to consider the population, what difference would it make in the time taken for job recovery?
There is a huge difference. For example, in 1948, america had a population of 146M, so if you were to adjust the population to 2007 numbers of 302M, the number of losses would more than double whats being shown.. (i.e. double the population would = double the losses of jobs), doubling these numbers would put the -2300 to around -4600, which would indeed be far worse than the 2007 chart..
Quote:
Economy never recovered under Bush. Sure, stock market did, and "unemployment rate" (a horrible measure, as I've always claimed) looked acceptable, but did it speak for the real economic mess?
Then what economic indicators didnt improve, and if unemployment is a horrible measure, why are you posting charts to them?
Quote:
Which vetoes are you specifically talking about?
I'm not speaking of any, I'm disputing liberals arguments that Bush helped cause the economic mess due to abuse of the veto..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Quote:
Right, corporations are to blame for the recession now.. As if corporations all got together and had a meeting and decided to lay off a large percentage of their employees to embarass the Democrats..
CitiGroup, Bear Sterns, Lehman Brothers, GM, AIG, BP, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo and on and on and on. THESE robber barons and their free-market, laissez-faire political lackeys are the reason for this mess.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,529,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Getting out of this catastrophe would have taken anyone at least that long. Get over yourself.

United we stand. Divided we fall. Looks as though the latter is taking place. Too bad.

Next thread.
Exactly! Did any one really think that this whole mess was going to fix itself in a year or even 2. Some jobs aren't coming back no matter what.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
CitiGroup, Bear Sterns, Lehman Brothers, GM, AIG, BP, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo and on and on and on. THESE robber barons and their free-market, laissez-faire political lackeys are the reason for this mess.
So your solution is that we should just ban all of these companies out of existance and unemployment would drop and the economy would recover? Give it a break..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies