Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM

46 posts, read 56,178 times

Advertisements

You have seen it in person, you have seen it in the movies. Young blacks talking about rich white men of the past being horrible (slave owners, ex presidents on cash money, all bad, etc). You never hear young blacks talking about John Brown. This guy should be a household name and honored by blacks as he really has a larger role in what is now known as civil rights than anyone. He seeded civil rights and more young blacks should be educated on olden day white men like John Brown. Young blacks need to learn about men like John Brown and know that there were white men born over 200 years that they would consider cool. Frankly, I am surprised there has not been a current Hollywood movie on John Brown as this could easily be a money maker blockbuster hit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown_(abolitionist)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Speaking of John Brown, this is me in front of John Brown's Fort in Harper's Ferry, WV just a few months ago. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement. Unfortunately, i'd be willing to bet that most people couldn't even tell you who John Brown is, much less his mission and what he stood for. Very honorable guy who is held to high esteem in my book. If only he knew that his attempted rebellion is widely considered to be the true start of the Civil War. He'd be immensely proud.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs530.ash1/31088_1443192089904_1536150101_31105898_2659029_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2010 View Post
You have seen it in person, you have seen it in the movies. Young blacks talking about rich white men of the past being horrible (slave owners, ex presidents on cash money, all bad, etc). You never hear young blacks talking about John Brown. This guy should be a household name and honored by blacks as he really has a larger role in what is now known as civil rights than anyone. He seeded civil rights and more young blacks should be educated on olden day white men like John Brown. Young blacks need to learn about men like John Brown and know that there were white men born over 200 years that they would consider cool. Frankly, I am surprised there has not been a current Hollywood movie on John Brown as this could easily be a money maker blockbuster hit.

A better question would be why young blacks aren't taught about John Brown's legacy.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,956,846 times
Besides his involvement in Bloody Kansas, and the fact that he was a terrorist. No, I think blacks are probably better off recognizing peaceful demonstration like Martin Luther King jr's.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:

John Brown (abolitionist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The failures of public schooling. To teach that blacks have been enabled through our history rather than teaching victimolgy is contrary to the agenda of social justice.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Besides his involvement in Bloody Kansas, and the fact that he was a terrorist. No, I think blacks are probably better off recognizing peaceful demonstration like Martin Luther King jr's.
Um, you realize that MLK would have never had the opportunity to lead had it not for been for the likes of John Brown, right? I find it pretty amazing that you'd rather skip an important chapter in history in favor of glossed-over feel good moments. History just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:

Oh look today's "why" question about black people. Why do these keep popping up on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
A better question would be why young blacks aren't taught about John Brown's legacy.
He was in my history books.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
How about b/c John Brown's actions occurred during an embarrassing time in American history. Many whites do not want to be reminded of a time when one man DARED to defy the status quo and took aggressive action. I mean really, do you want a bunch of ticked off black radicals screaming "REMEMBER JOHN BROWN!" before they start attacking white people. MLK was a great man but so was Malcolm X but he does not get the same respect as the Rev MLK. Why? Because Rev King was not a physical threat.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh look today's "why" question about black people. Why do these keep popping up on here?

I think its a relevant question. Do you feel that most black people, if polled, could tell you who John Brown is and what his mission was? I'm not singleing out black people per se, but black people do owe a small debt of gratitude to the guy for his efforts. Knowing who he is and what he was about would be a good start. Just a thought.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Not in mine for the most part. In fact I didn't really learn about him until my senior year, and even then his mention was nothing more than a brief footnote. Fact is, those in my state who control the way history is taught in public school typically portrayed slavery as a relatively benign institution which John Brown the lone crazy radical leftist loon tried to single-handedly overthrow at some obscure point in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.