Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times

Advertisements

Until you have read the 2300 page bill that the progressives-communist have written(Frank & Dobb) will you know for sure it's real story. Past history with them or big bills shows, it will not be good. It will be about power and control over the people, that will be a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,012 times
Feingold didn't back the 2300 page bill because he said it wasn't strong enough!! Or he knew 3 reps were voting yes so he could let Wi residents THINK he's really on our side. Like his commercials say "Washington isn't happy with him because he's doing it to help Wi residents" POPPYCOCK!!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
So in short, no, no one can deny that this is yet another example of Republican Obstructionism? I'm guessing that in a second, what comes next is the argument that by voting against EVERYTHING that Obama supports, they are actually acting on behalf of the people. Because after Wall Street's Meltdown... the one thing the people DON'T want is reform on Wall Street.
If you support that bill I assume you've read it and know quite a bit about the whole reform.
Then tell me please why Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are off the hook?
Didn't they play a substantial role in the housing bubble disaster?
Maybe that could be the reason why Republicans don't want to support it?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM

175 posts, read 113,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
If you support that bill I assume you've read it and know quite a bit about the whole reform.
Actually, since I didn't get a vote, I'd like to see how many Republicans who DID have a vote read the entire bill (they have to have read it to vote it down right? Like they all read the entire Health Care Bill right?)

Since YOU have read the bill though, feel free to list everything you oppose about Wall Street Reform and what pages they're on - and we'll discuss them.

LOL. Usually this is the part where someone comes in and says that Republicans had a different proposal but the MSM just wouldn't cover the story - but it might be more fun to do this.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:25 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times
Quote:
Actually, since I didn't get a vote, I'd like to see how many Republicans who DID have a vote read the entire bill (they have to have read it to vote it down right? Like they all read the entire Health Care Bill right?)

Since YOU have read the bill though, feel free to list everything you oppose about Wall Street Reform and what pages they're on - and we'll discuss them.

LOL. Usually this is the part where someone comes in and says that Republicans had a different proposal but the MSM just wouldn't cover the story - but it might be more fun to do this.
IMO if Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were addressed in the bill it would get broad support from Republicans.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, they did.

Quote:
Quite possible. By not addressing the root of the problem, Obama and the Dems are setting us up for a repeat.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
LOL - the Republicans probably don't know what they voted no to - nor was it important to know. What was important was to keep that track record going of opposing EVERYTHING Obama does under the guise that the people don't want it. Like they did with Stimulus, like they did with Healthcare, like they did with the potential 2016 Olympics, like they did with [insert name of thing that benefits Americans here]

If Obama is for it, they're against it.

I sort of feel that way about those who voted for Obama, they too did not know what they voted for, now look at the mess we are in. You don't vote out of popularity, or because the hollywood elite tell you to, or because Oprah endoreses a person, or because the guy is charming, or cute or whatever, you must vote for the right reasons. With Obama too many people are now waking up to his nonesense.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I sort of feel that way about those who voted for Obama, they too did not know what they voted for, now look at the mess we are in. You don't vote out of popularity, or because the hollywood elite tell you to, or because Oprah endoreses a person, or because the guy is charming, or cute or whatever, you must vote for the right reasons. With Obama too many people are now waking up to his nonesense.
Do you actually have an opinion of the regulation of the banking sector or do you just use every opportunity to bash Obama?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Um.. you have that backwards.. before voting YES you would have to have read the bill.. I would EXPECT anyone to vote no until they have time to read the bill in full.. You dont vote yes by default until you read the bill.. you vote NO..

Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
How does regulation on the banking sector, NOT the goods market, limit competition? How does that lead to less employment for american citizens?
I think banks should only work as commercial banks with no speculation and risky behaviour. How does that hinder competition?
I am really curious to hear an answer from you.
I'm not surprised that many on the left dont understand how this works.. Here, lets give you an example...

You own Goldman Sachs, you support the Wall Street reform bill because doing so, limits anyone else from competing against you because YOU SET THE STANDARDS.. For example, you can claim that you need $10B in assets in order to do x, y, or z.. You can make $10B the limit because YOU HAVE $10B and you want to STOP others from entering into your line of work to compete against you. If you have less competition, than you can charge more for your services, and thereby increase your profits.

Thats why lobbiest exist.. thats why wall street reform was SUPPORTED by Wall Street bankers, thats why healthcare reform was supported by Healthcare insurance companies.. You buy influence to get laws written so you are the ONLY ONE providing services and no one else. If there is less competition, than other businesses cant grow to compete in your field, and they cant hire new employees with your expertise.. If there are more unemployed individuals with your knowledge, the cost of your labor just went down because you are willing to take a job earning less, which again, increases the businesses profits..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies