Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM

101 posts, read 329,782 times

Advertisements

The media is definitely a fuel to the racism that exists here in America, I think. But ultimately the country's history heavily influences our mentality today.

In Hollywood, Angelina Jolie is putting on blackface to portray a strong woman of color while the actual colored actresses are stuck playing characters that reinforce black women stereotypes. How many movies out there portray blacks as the typical ghetto thug with the ebonics? When Halle Berry won an oscar for Leticia Musgrove, people were even insulted despite her being a woman of color. The character of LM was portrayed as the aggressor to her sex partner, and a general sex starved nympho. She won an ACADEMY AWARD for reinforcing that stereotype of colored people. Lead roles for people of color that are actually Positive are rare. The first movie that comes to mind that does so is Boyz N The Hood, and that was what, 1991?

As for rap music, forget who the performers are, who on earth is buying that? I'm sure the executives of those companies are enjoying the huge salary. And not all rap glorifies the gangsta life. I even think that one can argue that it does not do so (at least, a decade ago). Some alt. rappers discuss mature themes in their songs. But the mainstream stuff does not.

Grade school history courses will most likely NOT inform you of the positive roles of blacks in history, other than admirable charismatic figures like MLK, JR and Harriet Tubman. The curriculum will emphasize the accomplishments of the founding fathers but will not address the strong influence of blacks in the revolutionary army.

You might not be aware of it, but racism is THRIVING today, and remains as strong as it was 100 years ago. Mississippi just recently passed the Emancipation Proclamation in 1995 (only 12 years ago). The EP existed during the days of Lincoln for god's sake.

BTW, being treated poorly in this country because you are white is ludicrous and I'm positive that there are other reasons behind the treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 PM

164 posts, read 463,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Really? Please tell me where those people are living. Because I've lived in or near cities with high concentrations of black people and the majority have not fit that description. The vast majority fit the complete opposite.

If the vast majority of blacks lived their lives as you say they do above, then I don't think we'd even be having this conversation. There would be no problem and racism would be a very small issue.
Hardworking, law-minding black people live in every town that has blacks in it. Most of the black people I've known have been of this kind, and I grew up in northern New Jersey, close to cities like Newark, Irvington and East Orange. I don't doubt that you keep coming across irresponsible and entitled blacks, and I can't say that the "vast majority" of blacks you've known haven't been this way, but I do have an idea about why so many people believe that the second group is the larger one.

The truth is that blacks get into trouble at higher rates than other racial groups. Statistics show this. The incarceration rate for blacks was 800 per 100,000 in 2005 (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/jailrairtab.htm - broken link). For whites, it was only 166 per 100,000. In 2004, blacks were unemployed at a rate of around ten percent. Whites had an unemployment rate of around five percent. There is a huge need for improvement here, but apparently most people are doing what they should. If ten percent of blacks are unemployed that means that ninety percent of those who can work are working. There may be hundreds of thousands of blacks in prison but there are tens of millions more who manage to stay on the right side of the law.

So, while you are more likely to meet a black criminal than a white one, it's also the case that he is widely outnumbered by decent blacks.

Last edited by Marya; 06-22-2007 at 11:05 PM..

Old 06-23-2007, 02:54 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Racism is rampant everywhere. How can you lump every black man into the category of being a bum, ive kknown plenty of them that are educated hard working men. White people do not have everything handed to them. I cant apply for any college and get into it because im white, cop on to yourself!

You have to look at the other side of the spectrum to with the Negro College Funds, Black Entertainment TV, Black History Month. All are fine, I have no problem with it. But I think a White College Fund, White History Month and White TV would be condemned as racist. I cant remember who said it, but they said White History Month would be a bad thing ? I dont think so. Open your mind and stop being so racist.

You cant have one and not expect the other. You cant jump at one group and say its great to celebrate Black History and condemn the mention of White History month.

I love all cultures and love to learn as much as I can on each, why cant everybody embrace other cultures ?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:19 AM

253 posts, read 1,055,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

You cant have one and not expect the other. You cant jump at one group and say its great to celebrate Black History and condemn the mention of White History month.
There seems to be a lot of extreme misunderstanding with this and I really don't understand why.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with an Irish, Polish, Italian or Scottish month or even a channel that was dedicated to the history, culture and nation of these ethnic backgrounds (great ideas as well btw and some already are in place), but a "white history month" or channel just doesn't make sense. It's all about context...context is THE BIG word here.

Let's refer back to my aforementioned analogy of having a heterosexual channel or heterosexual history month. Most people would think this was quite ridiculous and unnecessary. Especially when they can also admit why gays would want their own channel, magazines and so forth in comparison. WHY is that? Therein lies the understanding...because that same reason would apply to why some think a white history month, channel or pageant is nonsensical but not think so much regarding a channel, magazine or day/month devoted to Black, some facet of Asian culture or whathaveyou. Edensheel touched on some reasons why already. I'll throw out some hints just in case the understanding is still not there: minority vs majority status, default representation, normality, status quo, general perception, mainstream ideals, identity.

Recognize it or dismiss it, but the analogy is something worthy of analyzing. The analogy is quite to the point and very direct and I think for those who have a hard time understanding this point, it makes the case quite well if you are willing to do a bit of stretching. I don't see why there's any confusion as to why it makes a valid point.

Last edited by AsymptoticFaery; 06-23-2007 at 03:29 AM..

Old 06-23-2007, 03:28 AM

11 posts, read 33,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Racism is rampant everywhere. How can you lump every black man into the category of being a bum, ive kknown plenty of them that are educated hard working men. White people do not have everything handed to them. I cant apply for any college and get into it because im white, cop on to yourself!

You have to look at the other side of the spectrum to with the Negro College Funds, Black Entertainment TV, Black History Month. All are fine, I have no problem with it. But I think a White College Fund, White History Month and White TV would be condemned as racist. I cant remember who said it, but they said White History Month would be a bad thing ? I dont think so. Open your mind and stop being so racist.

I love all cultures and love to learn as much as I can on each, why cant everybody embrace other cultures ?
It is NOT racist to condemn the idea of white history month because history is written by the victors, the dominant nation, which is in nearly every imaginable case, the white nation. If there was no black history month I guarantee you that they would not teach a damn thing about blacks in any public school classrooms other than "yeah, they were slaves, there was a woman on a bus, some guy named King got shot, blah blah, equal rights, yada yada." I'm not saying that whites are inherently evil and ignorant in this situation, I'm merely stating that the pendulum swings where the influence points it to, and if there was no up front black history month, the pendulum would never swing that way. It would be like feminist studies in university - a niche category studied only by a few rather than a full curriculum integrated amongst the rest.

White college funds, White television, White history. . . just those concept are racist because it evokes a whole "woe is me" perspective when, on a whole, white people have NO right to complain about their lot in life. Whether you accept it or not, white privilege does exist and it is the dominant force of power and succession in north america. Legacies are built and kept under a white flag and all other races are kept at as much of an arms length as possible. Black television, black history month. . . they are just concessions in some ways. they are necessity for certain, but they are not enough. the dominant race/class has such a strangle hold over this nation that despite 4-600 years of slavery and constant oppression, after only 30-50 years of a push towards equality, whites are already crying foul, just because they don't have someone coddling them and giving them what they want, despite the fact that they already have more than any other race can ever get their grasp on.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:32 AM

52 posts, read 122,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
Hardworking, law-minding black people live in every town that has blacks in it. Most of the black people I've known have been of this kind, and I grew up in northern New Jersey, close to cities like Newark, Irvington and East Orange. I don't doubt that you keep coming across irresponsible and entitled blacks, and I can't say that the "vast majority" of blacks you've known haven't been this way, but I do have an idea about why so many people believe that the second group is the larger one.

The truth is that blacks get into trouble at higher rates than other racial groups. Statistics show this. The incarceration rate for blacks was 800 per 100,000 in 2005 (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/jailrairtab.htm - broken link). For whites, it was only 166 per 100,000. In 2004, blacks were unemployed at a rate of around ten percent. Whites had an unemployment rate of around five percent. There is a huge need for improvement here, but apparently most people are doing what they should. If ten percent of blacks are unemployed that means that ninety percent of those who can work are working. There may be hundreds of thousands of blacks in prison but there are tens of millions more who manage to stay on the right side of the law.

So, while you are more likely to meet a black criminal than a white one, it's also the case that he is widely outnumbered by decent blacks.
The reason he/she is not familiar with the average African American who works hard and leads a productive life everyday is because this person does not know any African Americans to begin with and this person is probably in their late 40's or older.

I am a bit confused when some of the posters say "if we speak correctly" what does that mean? Are you referring to slanguage or Southern drawls. Because if we are talking about slanguage then unless that person is in an environment where he/she needs to speak correct english what is the point? But at the same time there are plenty of whites and others who do not speak that great of english.
How a person dresses on their free time should not ruffle anybody's feathers also. That is so petty.

But as I write this post it becomes clear that none of these people who share their point of view of why they think America is critical of African Americans really have any direct knowledge of what they are discussing.
Because if they did they would know that not all rap is negative and for every song that there is a derogatory comment there is one that has an inspirational message. Not all blacks who are wearing baggy clothes are drug dealers and gangbangers and now that I think about it more white kids sag their pants than black kids do these days (that is so 90's).

I don't know any blacks who blame the white man for their plight. For those who are in uncomfortable situations they know what put them in their uncomfortable circumstances. Slavery and Jim Crow had a tremendous impact on the black community and that has only been 40 years ago. But those living in the present are not using slavery as a crutch. But those on this forum who have these issues knew any blacks they would know these things. They get all their info from the media then want to shoot off at the mouth like they are experts and make up solutions as if it were that simple (i.e. "if they pull their pants up and speak correctly" blah blah blah)

Old 06-23-2007, 03:34 AM

52 posts, read 122,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $how Me $tate Bred View Post
The reason he/she is not familiar with the average African American who works hard and leads a productive life everyday is because this person does not know any African Americans to begin with and this person is probably in their late 40's or older.

I am a bit confused when some of the posters say "if we speak correctly" what does that mean? Are you referring to slanguage or Southern drawls. Because if we are talking about slanguage then unless that person is in an environment where he/she needs to speak correct english what is the point? But at the same time there are plenty of whites and others who do not speak that great of english.
How a person dresses on their free time should not ruffle anybody's feathers also. That is so petty.

But as I write this post it becomes clear that none of these people who share their point of view of why they think America is critical of African Americans really have any direct knowledge of what they are discussing.
Because if they did they would know that not all rap is negative and for every song that there is a derogatory comment there is one that has an inspirational message. Not all blacks who are wearing baggy clothes are drug dealers and gangbangers and now that I think about it more white kids sag their pants than black kids do these days (that is so 90's).

I don't know any blacks who blame the white man for their plight. For those who are in uncomfortable situations they know what put them in their uncomfortable circumstances. Slavery and Jim Crow had a tremendous impact on the black community and that has only been 40 years ago. But those living in the present are not using slavery as a crutch. But those on this forum who have these issues knew any blacks they would know these things. They get all their info from the media then want to shoot off at the mouth like they are experts and make up solutions as if it were that simple (i.e. "if they pull their pants up and speak correctly" blah blah blah)
Marya, I was not addressing you I was piggy backing off your comments and addressing some of the posts I read prior to making a post.
Just in case you are confused.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensHeel View Post
White college funds, White television, White history. . . just those concept are racist because it evokes a whole "woe is me" perspective when, on a whole, white people have NO right to complain about their lot in life. Whether you accept it or not, white privilege does exist and it is the dominant force of power and succession in north america. Legacies are built and kept under a white flag and all other races are kept at as much of an arms length as possible. Black television, black history month. . . they are just concessions in some ways. they are necessity for certain, but they are not enough. the dominant race/class has such a strangle hold over this nation that despite 4-600 years of slavery and constant oppression, after only 30-50 years of a push towards equality, whites are already crying foul, just because they don't have someone coddling them and giving them what they want, despite the fact that they already have more than any other race can ever get their grasp on.

That's probably the most racist thing I've read in this thread so far, and that's saying a lot. I don't support having a white history month, etc., but that's no longer the point.

So you're saying.. a white kid that's born into a trailer park in Lard Bucket, Mississippi, whose parents are in poverty and who has no educational opportunities, no social standing.. because he is white, you're saying that he "has no right to complain about his lot in life". But if he were black he would have a right to complain? That is absurd!

And saying that modern day whites are constantly oppressing people? Are you serious? I'm white. Tell me, when in my lifetime have I oppressed a black person? You went ahead and assumed that I did, of course, because I'm white.

Pretty much everything in your statement is a racial stereotype. All blacks are poor and oppressed, all whites are privileged, whites horde all the 'power', and intentionally keep it from any other races.. you even referred to whites having a "Flag", as if we're some organized hate group.

WOW. That's all I can say.

The little podunk town I grew up in is over 50% black, and has the distinction of having the highest crime rate in the US in 2004. I've spent most of my life casually trying to piece together why the gap between blacks and whites exists the way that it does. and thinking up solutions that are equitable to both sides. Since so many people 'take sides' on this issue, I try really hard to be moderate and understand both sides. While we may agree on some issues, I can honestly say that opinions like what you've expressed contribute toward the problem, rather than the solution. Just my opinion.

Last edited by anonymous; 06-23-2007 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2007, 08:47 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
Interesting...and utterly amazing...but not still...not surprising.

Alas poor Yorick...

Seriously, your entire statement is inconsistent...and invalidates your premise. Think about it. It actually bolsters my argument quite well.

Again, I refer back to my original statement because I think it really answers the question here and covers all the bases if one really takes time to read and interpret. I realize this is a debate board but since everything is typed out (in plain view); there's really no excuse for this level of dismissal...at all.

btw- Who does the "you" and your" refer to in your post specifically?
Specifically not referring to you as I don't know you from Adam.

(The following IS directed at you specifically) My point is simply that those who care to be treated as individuals are treated as such by most in this country. If you have an unwillingness to recognize that because of some experience in your past, then maybe you need to ask yourself how you can expect to be treated as an individual when you apparrently refuse to treat others as such???

More simply put: If you are going to claim that you (or whomever) are not being treated as an individual because someone at some point in life didn't, or you (or whomever) experienced racism, how is it that you can blame the entirety of American Society for not treating you as an individual when you aren't even seeing the person/entity that wronged you as such??? I never compromised your individuality (or whomever's), yet it seems you'd easily lump me in with those who have.....

Seems a bit hypocritical upon close examination.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:21 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensHeel View Post
America hates White people? Are you high? We don't have white history month because no one needs to know that - what do you learn in high school? In university? History is made by whites by and large, and other races (at least from the skewed North America perspective) have to fight to get their recognition as anything more than a footnote in white history.

Why isn't there White entertainment television? Have you bothered to watch a damn television? Ever? 90 percent of television is WET. Look at the cast of any big network show and you'll see almost entirely white faces. Any show that idealizes a wealthy perfect lifestyle will be white focussed. And if it is black it tends to play to as many stereotypes as it can because, of course, market research says that's all people will understand. God forbid they show a black program where people enunciate properly and have upscale powerful careers. . .

White college funds? Afirmative action? Come ON!! Nothing has been taken away. Whites have everything handed to them on a priviledged silver platter. If a white person tries -at all- in this world, they will rise anywhere, no matter how stupid they seem to be. . . taken a look at political regimes lately? It's no coincidence that in political circles the minorities represented come across as more intelligent and more educated than their white counterparts - it's because they are. They've had to bust their butts getting there whereas so many others have it handed to them.

And forget about college - if a white person tries at all they can get into any college they want. They can get grants from so many companies, from educational sources. Other races need specific ones in a lot of cases because of white privilege - the basic idea that other races are fighting a constant and never ending uphill battle against whites because of connctions: White connections are the furthest reaching in this world.

And you know why Whites look bad all the time? It's because we're constantly dropping further and further into degredation, allowing what privileges that exist to drive passion and desire into unhealthy extremes. We don't have to work for nearly as much and as a result so many have no clue how to handle themselves and they become spoiled, abusive and useless to this world. Whites look bad because the world is finally aboe to see just how sick and abusive (both literaly and in terms of power corrupting) the white race is. Slavery might have ended but the majority of North America's white attitude didn't die with it. There's still an incredible superiority complex at hand and it's painting us to be so much more inferior than the alternative. You want to whine about not having all these "luxuries" that blacks have? take a good long look and you'll see that this period is a bloody blip in history. slavery ended a milisecond ago and we're already complaining about having to share the bus seat.

We need to grow up.
Oh my, I'm speechless ... (nearly) ... I've worked hard for everything I have, nothing and I mean NOTHING was handed to me. Do you think whites have some super secret club that gives us a step up? Man you've been watching way to much Dave Chappell Show. There is no silver spoon in my mouth nor some big trust fun I can draw from, you play the cards life deals you.

You said there "God forbid they show a black program where people enunciate properly and have upscale powerful careers. . ." Does the Cosby show ring a bell? And white show that there all rich, please, watch Rosanne or What about Earl there are as many black shows as white.

The only person holding you down, is you! And with your attitude, down is where you'll stay, but I'm sure that's the evil white mans fault too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies