Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times

Advertisements

Today, David Webb of Tea Party 365 denounced Dale Robertson and Mark Williams for using the tea party to diseminate racist messages on CBS Face The Nation. He claims that they have been discredited from any further activities on behalf of the tea party. For this I give a sincere "Hats Off" to the Tea Party for this action.

others claiming Tea Party affiliation or support making racist statements, and rally attendees carrying racist signs, such as Dale Robertson (a Tea Party organizer who appeared at a 2009 rally with an anti-Obama sign heralding the "N" word, though mis-spelled) .

Webb told anchor Bob Schieffer that Robertson "has been discredited and has been denounced and is not a Tea Party member."

Webb also said that Mark Williams (who responded to the resolution by telling NPR that the NAACP's leaders "make more money off of race than any slave trader ever") is not a Tea Party leader, "although he's perceived as such by some in the media and by Mr. Jealous."

[Williams is nonetheless described on the Tea Party Express website as their national spokesman.]

Tea Party Leader: NAACP Is Playing the Race Card - Face The Nation - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
"NAACP's leaders, make more money off of race, than any slave trader ever"

If that is the quote that is so racist, I fail to see the tone.

He is calling out the racist, that are the NAACP.
I find his statement to be true, actually. If that is the race card here, it is a lame one.

There has to be more to it, for it to be this blown up. What else did he say that was racist?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 PM

We are getting mixed messages and denials from the RW radicals concerning the Mark Williams issue because Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh have not spoken directly on the issue and provided all the right with their daily talking points. confusion reigns in the right wing corner until Monday when the mouthpieces tell the right what to think and say. Then we will see unity on CD again concerning this matter.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Can someone please explain to me the satire or comedy in what he said? I can not find anything written in there that was the least bit funny...
Satire is ridicule. The letter is a parody - an imitation of the NAACP.

You may remember this satirical 2008 cover of the New Yorker.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Please don't be so defensive. I'm commending David Webb for discrediting and denouncing Mark Williams in the name of the Tea Party, on Face the Nation.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Please don't be so defensive. I'm commending David Webb for discrediting and denouncing Mark Williams in the name of the Tea Party, on Face the Nation.

Not being defensive. I just don't see a racist remark, in the quote from Mark Williams.

If that is the race card, it is a lame one.

Again, trying to understand the rage, not being defensive.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So I guess once the NAACP comes out and condemns the the New Black Panther Party we'll all be fat and happy??

Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Satire is ridicule. The letter is a parody - an imitation of the NAACP.

You may remember this satirical 2008 cover of the New Yorker.
I remember it, and I found it offensive.

How was it an imitation of the NAACP? This would mean that the NAACP has written something like this to be imitated right?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Can someone please explain to me the satire or comedy in what he said? I can not find anything written in there that was the least bit funny...
I understood it as satire. Doesn't mean it was funny or "good" satire. At least to me it wasn't funny.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Default The National Tea Party Federation Expels Mark Williams and Tea Party Express

Tea Party Federation kicks out Williams over blog post - CNN.com

Quote:
The National Tea Party Federation, an organization that represents the Tea Party political movement around the country, has expelled conservative commentator Mark Williams and his Tea Party Express because of an inflammatory blog post he wrote, federation spokesman David Webb said Sunday.

"We, in the last 24 hours, have expelled Tea Party Express and Mark Williams from the National Tea Party Federation because of the letter that he wrote," Webb said of the blog post by Williams that satirized a fictional letter from what he called "Colored People" to President Abraham Lincoln.
Webb called the blog post "clearly offensive."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies