Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call "RICH"? earning more than;
$50,000 7 5.79%
$85,000 1 0.83%
$125,000 13 10.74%
$200,000 21 17.36%
$500,000 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:33 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Why do some folks insist people are “rich” because they earn more than others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
This entire poll is flawed, and people here seem to have very strange views on what is considered "rich".

The poll options give basic monetary numbers as options for what is considered "rich". But that automatically assumes that the word 'rich' has to do with how much money you make, not taking happiness into consideration.

So some CEO makes 50 million dollars a year, but chances are that him and most other people are not earning a living, they are earning an earning. What is the point of making a lot of money if you cannot truly enjoy your life. You can't eat paper, it is simply a measure of one's wealth.

Someone who is rich is someone who is happy and content with their life. How many people can truly say that?
Saying the poll is flawed is not how I see it; the very sentence in the poll mentions earnings. But that is the only part of your comment I disagree
with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are you earning it, or did your parents earn it and you let someone manage your money so you can live off of someone elses work, while staying comfortably away from the employees and people you screw beneath you?

I am in favor of a 90% estate tax, on everyone in this country. Family heirlooms would be an exception.

However, if you invest what your parents hand down to you, like continuing a business, or investing it to grow a business, then that money you could keep.

It'd be an excellent way to make sure the money is getting back in the system, while making sure you aren't living off of mommy and daddy forever.
But that's why mommy and daddy worked hard...so you would benefit down the road.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
All anyone is asking for is a LIVABLE WAGE. Something that can afford them a reliable vehicle, reasonable insurance, while being able to buy food, clothing, shelter, an education for those who have children, and the usual household items. Also, to be able to afford a vacation once a year (two weeks after so many years of service) without struggling for it. $7.25/hr just doesn't cover that. Don't tell me the U.S. would go broke paying a LIVABLE WAGE of $11/hr. Just doesn't float.
Okay, I won't. I will say that the USA dosen't pay wages, business owners do. Unless you are a government employee and they get well over minimum wage.

Quote:
Not everyone WANTS the pools, multiple vehicles, homes in different parts of the U.S. (as well as other countries), tennis courts, and so on, and so on. These are the people that do not measure their worth by material things. After all, LIVABLE is FAIR. You that measure your worth by the material could still have all that, while paying that LIVABLE WAGE and actually have more satisfied employees. Or is that just too hard swallow?
Fair? Fair is earning your own money. If you want to earn more money then get a job that pays more money and quit expecting others to carry your weight because you want what they have. I will never understand why so many people expect others to take care of them.
Who expects to live off of minimum wage? Not me, I learned that even before I entered the work force. How about this to all who think minimum wage is to low of an income to live off of;
GET A BETTER JOB!
To hold the whole freaking country responsible to "give" you a better wage is nothing less that being a selfish self-absorbed greedy little brat that has had everything handed to them and expects it the rest of their lives.
GET A JOB THAT PAYS MORE!
Do you thing all of these folks who earn 6 figures a year have had it handed to them? If you do then sit tight, yours will be there soon!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
I have more of a problem with HOW the have nots are treated by the haves.
Not all but, many of the HAVES flaunt their wealth & aren't very nice.

Otherwise I think it's great if someone is successful.
Wealth to me is having enough money to not have to worry about the bills.

People are people no matter how much money they make.
I have seen the poorest of folks that considered themselves wealthy because they were happy.
I have also seen some very well off people who were miserable.
Just like age is just a number, so is monetary wealth.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:34 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
People in minimum wage jobs do not stay at the minimum wage permanently. Their pay increases as they accumulate experience and develop skills. It increases an average of 30 percent in just their first year of employment, according to the Cato Institute study. Other studies show that low-income people become average-income people in a few years and high-income people later in life.

No, not everyone does. However, most often those who DO have these things is traceable to that they earned them by hard work, thrift, foresight, etc. And employ others... who likewise have the chance to rise in their own right and talents and merits. Just out of curiosity, how many people do you employ/hire?

Anyway, outta here for now. But anxious to hear your own contributions related to assisting others in even making the first step toward earning a "liveable wage."
First of all, you're another that lives in a world which does not exist. You might think it does. But thinking does not make it so. I know many people who have jobs and have been at them for a great while, are good workers, and still do not receive FAIR raises. Some no raise at all. I, myself, have a career field. But, because where we used to live was an agricultural area, the law stated that that area is not subject to abide by percentile wages. Therefore, I was grossly underpaid. The above paragraph from the 'great article' is pure hogwash. I've lived it. As many others have.

Second of all, the guy that wrote that article, is obviously disillusioned or is smoking large quantities of crack.

Never assume. Problems arise. I employ/hire no one because not only am I unemployed at the present (Oh dear, am I the only one...) I prefer to not own my own business. What I would and do prefer is to be properly compensated my percentile wage of $18 - $20/hr for my career field of 14 years, agricultural area or otherwise. Too many loopholes for the greedy. It would be 17 years experience but the economies' bottom fell out.

The people that do these so called 'menial jobs' work their tails off to line the pockets of the business owners and their butt kissing managers. The people on the front lines, without them, these businesses would cease to prosper. People are not expendable, people are PEOPLE. With ALL the SAME BASIC NEEDS. Blood, sweat and tears come from these WORKERS. And unappreciated at that. I've had it up to here with the argument that some people only deserve 7.25/hr. based on where they work. You ever been behind the counter of a fast food restaurant while droves of people come in? You ever had to wash dishes in a commercial environment? You ever worked in a foundry sweating you az off wearing a mask, so as not to breath the soot? You ever worked in factory where the management is so cheap that the people work better than the machines do? I HAVE. And it's wrong. I DO NOT FORGET WHERE I COME FROM. And now back to square one because of the mismanagement of our wonderful government.

And as far as your last statement goes, you can remain being anxious because I AM NOT A POLITICIAN that has made empty promises to the American people.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Okay, I won't. I will say that the USA dosen't pay wages, business owners do. Unless you are a government employee and they get well over minimum wage.

Fair? Fair is earning your own money. If you want to earn more money then get a job that pays more money and quit expecting others to carry your weight because you want what they have. I will never understand why so many people expect others to take care of them.
Who expects to live off of minimum wage? Not me, I learned that even before I entered the work force. How about this to all who think minimum wage is to low of an income to live off of;
GET A BETTER JOB!
To hold the whole freaking country responsible to "give" you a better wage is nothing less that being a selfish self-absorbed greedy little brat that has had everything handed to them and expects it the rest of their lives.
GET A JOB THAT PAYS MORE!
Do you thing all of these folks who earn 6 figures a year have had it handed to them? If you do then sit tight, yours will be there soon!
Let me tell you, first off, you are so very incorrect PC. You might want to back off. You have NO idea who I am and what has or hasn't been handed to me. 40 years old and working since I was fifteen. It may do you some good to read what I said to the other incorrect person...

First of all, you're another that lives in a world which does not exist. You might think it does. But thinking does not make it so. I know many people who have jobs and have been at them for a great while, are good workers, and still do not receive FAIR raises. Some no raise at all. I, myself, have a career field. But, because where we used to live was an agricultural area, the law stated that that area is not subject to abide by percentile wages. Therefore, I was grossly underpaid. The above paragraph from the 'great article' is pure hogwash. I've lived it. As many others have.

Second of all, the guy that wrote that article, is obviously disillusioned or is smoking large quantities of crack.

Never assume. Problems arise. I employ/hire no one because not only am I unemployed at the present (Oh dear, am I the only one...) I prefer to not own my own business. What I would and do prefer is to be properly compensated my percentile wage of $18 - $20/hr for my career field of 14 years, agricultural area or otherwise. Too many loopholes for the greedy. It would be 17 years experience but the economies' bottom fell out.

The people that do these so called 'menial jobs' work their tails off to line the pockets of the business owners and their butt kissing managers. The people on the front lines, without them, these businesses would cease to prosper. People are not expendable, people are PEOPLE. With ALL the SAME BASIC NEEDS. Blood, sweat and tears come from these WORKERS. And unappreciated at that. I've had it up to here with the argument that some people only deserve 7.25/hr. based on where they work. You ever been behind the counter of a fast food restaurant while droves of people come in? You ever had to wash dishes in a commercial environment? You ever worked in a foundry sweating you az off wearing a mask, so as not to breath the soot? You ever worked in factory where the management is so cheap that the people work better than the machines do? I HAVE. And it's wrong. I DO NOT FORGET WHERE I COME FROM. And now back to square one because of the mismanagement of our wonderful government.

And as far as your last statement goes, you can remain being anxious because I AM NOT A POLITICIAN that has made empty promises to the American people.

So watch what you say about people you don't know.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
millionaire-myths: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Most millionairs are average joe's. Average people who work , save, and plan ahead.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
millionaire-myths: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Most millionairs are average joe's. Average people who work , save, and plan ahead.
Problem is, the majority of them forget where they came from and choose to be tighter than a drum. Can't find it in their soul to pay a decent wage to the people that helped get them there. Not everyone wants to be a millionaire.

Funny how everyone just seems to skip over the fact that $11/hr is not too much to ask for those menial jobs. And actual decent raises based on job performance. NOT how well one PUCKERS their lips. The same places that house those jobs that you visit on a daily or weekly basis. The same jobs that keep products flowing into fast food joints, grocery stores, and so on. Some folks just need knocked off their giant horses. Someday. Someday.

I agree with the a lot of the 'comments' on yahoo... article is PURE HOGWASH.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 08-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:56 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Problem is, the majority of them forget where they came from and choose to be tighter than a drum. Can't find it in their soul to pay a decent wage to the people that helped get them there. Not everyone wants to be a millionaire.

Funny how everyone just seems to skip over the fact that $11/hr is not too much to ask for those menial jobs. And actual decent raises based on job performance. NOT how well one PUCKERS their lips. The same places that house those jobs that you visit on a daily or weekly basis. The same jobs that keep products flowing into fast food joints, grocery stores, and so on. Some folks just need knocked off their giant horses. Someday. Someday.
Please. That's a pathetic excuse. Most of us that are successful started in low paying positions. Minimum wage is meant to be a jumping off point. Not a livable wage. You want more money? Do something to differentiate yourself! Do something to make yourself better at what you do.

You think that successful people got that way because someone just decided to pay us more? Heck no. We busted our tail to make ourselves better at what we did. We (bad word coming) EARNED more.

Most of us that employ folks pay them a competitive wage and treat them very well. But it's not our job to make them strive for more. If you want to do better in life, make yourself better at what you do and go start your own business. Don't complain about not getting ahead in life because someone isn't blindly handing you more and more money.

It's pathetic.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

I agree with the a lot of the 'comments' on yahoo... article is PURE HOGWASH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Please. That's a pathetic excuse. Most of us that are successful started in low paying positions. Minimum wage is meant to be a jumping off point. Not a livable wage. You want more money? Do something to differentiate yourself! Do something to make yourself better at what you do.

You think that successful people got that way because someone just decided to pay us more? Heck no. We busted our tail to make ourselves better at what we did. We (bad word coming) EARNED more.

Most of us that employ folks pay them a competitive wage and treat them very well. But it's not our job to make them strive for more. If you want to do better in life, make yourself better at what you do and go start your own business. Don't complain about not getting ahead in life because someone isn't blindly handing you more and more money.

It's pathetic.
Once again, ignoring the facts. I never said anything about anyone handing anyone anything. And I did differentiate myself. But because of loopholes for the 'rich' I was grossly underpaid. Or did you not read my posts above. I am speaking for the people that are where I used to be. And am again today (actually worse) because of a mismanaged government. The people in those menial jobs work hard enough and deal with a mostly rude public or rude managers in a factory environment to deserve more than $7.25/hr. No matter how you slice it. It's the attitude of people such as yourself which keeps America from being great. Some people enjoy food service and should be properly compensated for it. Some people enjoy factory work and should be properly compensated for it. It's hard work. They're not asking for $20/hr.. And what makes you think that EVERYONE can start their own business. If that were the case no one could keep up with supply and demand. Everyone needs workers. What's pathetic is people do not seem to realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies