Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It was a state school, a lot of states have AP type programs and testing that tie directly into their university system.

In fact, here is the current program....

U of I Admissions: Advanced Placement

FYI- The engineering school at U of I is something like 2nd in the country behind MIT or thereabouts.
Actually, they are ranked #5 in engineering, in the 2010 US News directory. I am very familiar with the U of I as DH went there for his PhD. However, the U of I also says this about AP courses:

However, students should be aware that there are times when it is in the student's best interest to take the U of I course that corresponds to the AP or IB credit instead of accepting the test-based credit, so as to be better prepared for the rigors of the subsequent courses in the sequence. Students are able to consult with their academic advisors during Summer Registration in order to determine what will be most appropriate for their individual plan of study.

That is basically what Colorado School of Mines told my friend's son.

My daughter went to St. Olaf College; they were fairly stingy with AP credit, and they would not grant it to fulfil a lab science requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My daughter went to St. Olaf College; they were fairly stingy with AP credit, and they would not grant it to fulfil a lab science requirement.
Does she ever tell St Olaf stories

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Does she ever tell St Olaf stories
Yaa!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Actually, they are ranked #5 in engineering, in the 2010 US News directory. I am very familiar with the U of I as DH went there for his PhD. However, the U of I also says this about AP courses:

However, students should be aware that there are times when it is in the student's best interest to take the U of I course that corresponds to the AP or IB credit instead of accepting the test-based credit, so as to be better prepared for the rigors of the subsequent courses in the sequence. Students are able to consult with their academic advisors during Summer Registration in order to determine what will be most appropriate for their individual plan of study.

That is basically what Colorado School of Mines told my friend's son.

1) Rankings vary but you are right about current ranking as #5 in the nation.

2) Your quote doesn't change the fact that they do give AP credit. It's just a disclaimer.

We started down this road when I refuted that top schools allegedly don't give AP credit. Top school? Yep. Gives out AP credits? Yep.

So, why are you continuing to beat this poor deceased equine?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yeah I guess the NAACP needs to keep their place. They're getting real "uppity" lately.

Please.
I don't know about uppity but stupidly, yes.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) Rankings vary but you are right about current ranking as #5 in the nation.

2) Your quote doesn't change the fact that they do give AP credit. It's just a disclaimer.

We started down this road when I refuted that top schools allegedly don't give AP credit. Top school? Yep. Gives out AP credits? Yep.

So, why are you continuing to beat this poor deceased equine?
Actually, I never said the "top schools" don't give out any AP credit. See below:

Quote:
AP classes are highly over-rated regarding earning college credit. It is up to the college to decide if and how much credit they will give for such courses. The better colleges don't give loads of credit for these courses. Still, it seems that all high schools offer these courses nowadays, and they function like honors courses. Colleges do look at the courses a student takes in HS, and if AP courses are offered but the student doesn't take any, they tend to look down at that.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, I never said the "top schools" don't give out any AP credit. See below:
You are right, I stand corrected.

Care to scroll back up and note where you disagreed with my post about people getting AP credits?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 AM

I think we should put an end to it and get back on topic.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I think we should put an end to it and get back on topic.
LOL. Ok, at least you made me smile. Gotta rep ya for that.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
This is crazy, the NAACP has been on a rampage lately. I'm a Black American and I just don't get this one. When I was in high school, I had AP classes and I put my own standards on myself. I didn't need the NAACP to come in and save me from stupidity. I think the NAACP can do good things, but I just don't understand what they have a problem with sometimes. I am very big on seeing greater success for black people and I think it starts with so-called black leadership groups telling the black community that the way to get at the higher levels of success in career and academics is by trying harder and getting the head in the right place, not filing lawsuits and accusing institutions of discrimination because the black people there aren't represented well in higher levels.

It's self-destruction and it angers me that after all these years, decades, the black leadership groups haven't figured that out. Like people are saying, "dumb down," don't dumb down black people, force us to get up on the same levels. It's almost self-disrespectful to accuse a institution of discrimination because you aren't pulling your own weight. Why would you want to remove AP classes? It is a chance to learn at a higher and faster level. A chance to get college credits while in high school. The NAACP should be visiting schools and telling black students about these classes and encouraging them to work towards being in them. They shouldn't be trying to eliminate these classes.

I'm pissed at the NAACP lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies