Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Blamin' it on minorties....a stock Republican response.
Ignoring the facts. Clearly a stalwart Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Ignoring the facts. Clearly a stalwart Democrat.
lol, at least I'm not being racist.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You are obviously not from the south, and therefore have not been able to see through the facade. Hopefully, you have not been here long, and we can excuse your view. If you have been here awhile, then it is clear that you have been unable to impress the locals to this fact, and this is still what you get. For that , I am sorry. On the other hand, it is possible that you possessed this view when you arrived, and have been unable to discard it due to your own prejudice. How Y'all doin'?
Facade? .. 90% of the southerners I've met, don't even know what that word means .. and no, I'm absolutely not from the south.

I've been here for two years now, and could never attempt to impress my views on anyone.

A better way of life for most of those who have lived here all of their lives is an unthinkable thing.

The south is a dirty, unkept place, that the natives are extremely proud of .. for reasons that are beyond me.
It's a far cry from what I thought it was before I came here .. it's not quaint, or upstanding, as the country music would have you imagine .. I'm not seeing anything here that would cause any kind of pride in even the most abstract sense, much less anything that might be worth protecting.
The beaches are garbage dumps, the Gulf is, and has been a cess pool for years, and it's bayous and rivers are lined with everyone elses trash, old discarded cars and furniture .. and on and on .. the southland is a mess.

I don't care that they talk differently, and I don't care that they only voted for Obama because they thought he was black.

What I have trouble with is that most here are proud of the fact that they don't know a whole helluva lot .. about anything.

The way that the Whites talk about the Blacks, and the way that Blacks talk about the Whites ought to be against the law all on it's own. The racism down here is an insidious thing, and shame on both the Blacks and the Whites for it.

Discourse here is pretty limited, and unless you know a great deal about bass boats, the local high school football team, or chicken cooking as you pull it down the interstate .. you'll come up short with any kind of meaningful conversasion.

Last edited by bigskydude; 07-23-2010 at 12:19 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
I'm pretty happy with the anti-southern sentiment.

It means they won't come here.

Keeps the riff raff out.

See what I mean:

Study: Online seller's race changes purchase price

Quote:
Only in Western states did buyers not make fewer offers to black sellers. In the Northeast, they received 32% less; in the Midwest, 23% fewer; and in the South, 15% fewer. Link
This backs up what I've always known - the most prejudiced people I've encountered are in the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Facade? .. 90% of the southerners I've met, don't even know what that word means .. and no, I'm absolutely not from the south.

I've been here for two years now, and could never attempt to impress my views on anyone.

A better way of life for most of those who have lived here all of their lives is an unthinkable thing.

The south is a dirty, unkept place, that the natives are extremely proud of .. for reasons that are beyond me.
It's a far cry from what I thought it was before I came here .. it's not quaint, or upstanding, as the country music would have you imagine .. I'm not seeing anything here that would cause any kind of pride in even the most abstract sense, much less anything that might be worth protecting.
The beaches are garbage dumps, the Gulf is, and has been a cess pool for years, and it's bayous and rivers are lined with everyone elses trash, old discarded cars and furniture .. and on and on .. the southland is a mess.

I don't care that they talk differently, and I don't care that they only voted for Obama because they thought he was black.

What I have trouble with is that most here are proud of the fact that they don't know a whole helluva lot .. about anything.

The way that the Whites talk about the Blacks, and the way that Blacks talk about the Whites ought to be against the law all on it's own. The racism down here is an insidious thing, and shame on both the Blacks and the Whites for it.

Discourse here is pretty limited, and unless you know a great deal about bass boats, the local high school football team, or chicken cooking as you pull it down the interstate .. you'll come up short with any kind of meaningful conversasion.
I don't know what part of the South you're talking about, but your words remind me quite a bit of the time I spent in Atlanta, GA. I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth, TX area and although Texas is considered part of the South, I prefer to think of it as the beginning of the West myself. A Georgian and a Texan are two totally different animals.

You talked about the South being dirty and unkempt. You can go downtown in either Fort Worth or Dallas and find a clean beautiful city with a lot of local culture and plenty of fun to be had. Texans have a strong work ethic and take a lot of pride in the physical condition of their cities and it shows.

Now as for what I call the "Bubba Factor" Texas rates pretty high. Yes a lot of conversation revolves around bass boats, Nascar, football, and BBQ. However, the DFW area is very progressive and surprisingly cosmopolitan. Once you get settled in you won't have much of a problem finding intelligent people from all walks of life who can keep up with any conversation whether it be politics or quantam physics.

I did a stint in the Army and consequently lived in different parts of the country, and although I had some interesting experiences I never did find an area that I liked as much as DFW: vibrant economy, low cost of living, no state income tax, good looking women practically grow on trees, colorful live music scene, good food, and the people here are as friendly as can be.

By the way, what part of the South are you refering to?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
The jewish folks that run the popular media...

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hollywood and the news media, that's why...When have you ever seen Hollywood make fun of stupid poor people in northern urban ghettos like they make fun of stupid poor people in rural southern areas?...
Excellent point.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
I've said it before but I will say it again. Arrogance and ignorance pretty much sums up most of the south. That's why they like to call people elitests because they read or actually know what the hell they're talking about or, worst of all, actually can back up a position with real creditable evidence.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:

I don't know. I've had a few conversations with Northerners who don't know a helluva lot, and are mighty proud of it. And in terms of vocabularies, it's funny, the vocabularies of Northerners and Southerners are pretty much the same size, but the contents are a little varied. Perhaps when you've been in the South a little longer, you'll start picking up some of the Southern vocabulary rather than focus on how it differs from the Northern one. And I don't know any Southerners who don't know what facade means. Why, the facade of that Southern ante-bellum mansion is terribly impressive, the Doric columns have withstood the ravages of time so well.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:37 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
LMAO...I have to say that the love of grits is a Southern heritage type of thing. Also, only a northerner would put sugar in them...butter is all that is needed.
And don't you know they laughed pretty hard at me when I asked for brown sugar when I couldn't get past that first tablespoon in Virginia (I think I was just outside Williamsburg at the time). My feelings aren't hurt when anyone laughs at that and please do carry on loving what you love without me. It's not like I didn't try. I grew up with farina and don't like it either without doctoring it up with something. They're both like wallpaper paste to me, but even with my doctoring grits aren't something I care for. My running joke with NC pal is the difference is in sandpaper grade- farina is 120 grit, while grits are 40 grit.

I've come to believe that the real heart and soul of southern kitchens is hidden in a biscuit. Best kept secret that shouldn't be secret. Hasn't the north suffered enough neglect with those chemical cans of pillsbury biscuits? Have a heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies