Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

This guy is one of the repeat offenders on this site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I think Captain America should be a Southern hick, one who is always trying to prove his machoism, tells people about Jesus, hates commies, gays, atheists, muslims, the French. The patriotic captain should only have a high school diploma, was the football star on his rural high school team, hates people that read books, and is surrounded by air headed blond babes.
This way he could serve as the ideal for America's youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I've said it before but I will say it again. Arrogance and ignorance pretty much sums up most of the south. That's why they like to call people elitests because they read or actually know what the hell they're talking about or, worst of all, actually can back up a position with real creditable evidence.
I'd REALLY like to see you back that up.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Best guess? The jewish folks that run the popular media see the south as a place where Neo-Nazism could take hold. Not wanting a repeat of Pre WWI germany they have demonized the south in the media where ever they can.

Folks being highly influenced by what the TV tells them, have adopted those beliefs via osmosis. LOL!
I have Irish ancestry. Irish people have a longstanding stereotype about alcoholism. That stereotype is justified because statistically Irish people do have problems the same way Native Americans do.

That said, if I'm abusing alcohol I've reinforced a stereotype and falsely claiming I'm a victim of discrimination is only an excuse to avoid being responsible for myself. Does alcoholism represent who I am as Irish? No. If you're talking to me like a drunk when I'm sober, the prejudice is on you.

Something never talked about when these types of topics come up-- this habit people have of taking a singular trait and forcing it into a comprehensive identity that overshadows all other information. That's how an entire race of people like Irish can be reduced to a singular thing- drunks. Also when people have been primed by their local culture to look for prejudice, it's positively uncanny how they've gone in the business of creating what it is they claim to hate.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I've said it before but I will say it again. Arrogance and ignorance pretty much sums up most of the south. That's why they like to call people elitests because they read or actually know what the hell they're talking about or, worst of all, actually can back up a position with real creditable evidence.
Let me guess, you are among the same people who throw a hissy fit when someone says anything bad about California? I find it humorous that often times the same people trying to defend their own states are also the ones spewing the most venom at other parts of the country.

So from now on when anyone b-tches and moans about irrational hatred of a state or region, I will politely point them to this thread, and specifically your post(s). It is people like you peddling hate on a regular basis that results in dividing our country and not only condoning, but in fact encouraging the ostracism of Southerners as a whole.

Elitism has nothing to do with reading a book or "knowing what they hell you are talking about" (when you obviously do not), elitism is someone like you believing you know what is best for everyone else. It does not necessarily involve education, money, or where you are from, it has to do with you passing judgment on others for no other reason than self satisfaction and sense of accomplishment.

I hope you are proud of yourself.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This guy is one of the repeat offenders on this site:
Really? Is a 'hick' in it's intended meaning limited to the south? Step outside chicago too far, you can find them. Some hicks even reside in chicago proper, believing there's nothing beyond their own city worthy of consideration. Reminds me of some boys from Brooklyn I've come across. They're hicks and most from Brooklyn don't care for their attitude anymore than they'd care for the attitude of a southern hick.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
No one should stereotype the south, because while alot of people there are poor and uneducated (I'm basing that comment on their standardized test scores versus the rest of the U.S. and their median income) and vote overwhelmingly Republican it does not mean that everyone fits into those categories, or even that those categories should be viewed in a negative way that is somehow condescending or judgmental of them. Life is simply not fair in the end. There will always be divisions in society in these terms.

However, the south is "right to work", which is to say anti-union, and with that, the right of labor to organize. And the same people working in a sweatshop for $7.50 an hour are rabidly anti union, and would be in favor of their tax dollars not going towards any social programs that might help them in a time of need (Social Security, unemployment insurance, healthcare, etc..) they would support those dollars instead go somewhere else, like to Halliburton, or Blackwater, or the Pentagon, etc., etc...

Thats the real problem with the south, it's their brand of politics. And most often this is rooted in good old fashioned ignorance.

But the south does not have a monopoly on this either, but to ignore their voting records and their attitudes towards the state of the union known as the United States of America, their current brand of obstructionist politics (look at southern Senators, for but one example), the kind meant solely to retard progress simply for political gamesmanship (can't have Pres. Obama looking successful, can we?) than the south deserves come criticism, and while not fair to stereotype anyone, they do have a track record of failure, starting back in 1861 in earnest.

And for the sake of the union, I can only hope their mindset is neutralized in Congress by a more clear thinking majority, as is the case presently. But that majority is a thin one, and Congress is officially FOR SALE, thanks to the Supreme Court. And I don't see anyone getting any wiser, thanks to the rightwing noise machine and a useless mainstream media.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I don't know what part of the South you're talking about, but your words remind me quite a bit of the time I spent in Atlanta, GA. I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth, TX area and although Texas is considered part of the South, I prefer to think of it as the beginning of the West myself. A Georgian and a Texan are two totally different animals.

You talked about the South being dirty and unkempt. You can go downtown in either Fort Worth or Dallas and find a clean beautiful city with a lot of local culture and plenty of fun to be had. Texans have a strong work ethic and take a lot of pride in the physical condition of their cities and it shows.

Now as for what I call the "Bubba Factor" Texas rates pretty high. Yes a lot of conversation revolves around bass boats, Nascar, football, and BBQ. However, the DFW area is very progressive and surprisingly cosmopolitan. Once you get settled in you won't have much of a problem finding intelligent people from all walks of life who can keep up with any conversation whether it be politics or quantam physics.

I did a stint in the Army and consequently lived in different parts of the country, and although I had some interesting experiences I never did find an area that I liked as much as DFW: vibrant economy, low cost of living, no state income tax, good looking women practically grow on trees, colorful live music scene, good food, and the people here are as friendly as can be.

By the way, what part of the South are you refering to?
To give you somewhat of an idea of just how much I didn't know about the south before coming here, I actually thought, for years, that "Bubba" was a "nickname".

I'm sure that Dallas is a very nice place, but anything east of Interstate 35, clear through to the panhandle of Florida is what I'm talking about. Truth be known .. the entire state of Georgia, for all of it's presumed faults, is nowhere near as littered as east Texas is for instance.

I've a friend from Florida/Pennsylvania that told me that the farther east I go, the more crowded and run-down the cities will be. He also noted that the folks will be less friendly too.

He never said anything about the litter/garbage though ..

I'm from the west .. (specifically Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon), and I was in for quite a shocker when I came to Texas ..

I'm just not as impressed as I somehow imagined I might be .. not a big deal though .. I'm not so tied up in the southern lifestyle that I can't eventually one day leave.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Really? Is a 'hick' in it's intended meaning limited to the south? Step outside chicago too far, you can find them. Some hicks even reside in chicago proper, believing there's nothing beyond their own city worthy of consideration. Reminds me of some boys from Brooklyn I've come across. They're hicks and most from Brooklyn don't care for their attitude anymore than they'd care for the attitude of a southern hick.
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
To give you somewhat of an idea of just how much I didn't know about the south before coming here, I actually thought, for years, that "Bubba" was a "nickname".

I'm sure that Dallas is a very nice place, but anything east of Interstate 35, clear through to the panhandle of Florida is what I'm talking about. Truth be known .. the entire state of Georgia, for all of it's presumed faults, is nowhere near as littered as east Texas is for instance.

I've a friend from Florida/Pennsylvania that told me that the farther east I go, the more crowded and run-down the cities will be. He also noted that the folks will be less friendly too.

He never said anything about the litter/garbage though ..

I'm from the west .. (specifically Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon), and I was in for quite a shocker when I came to Texas ..

I'm just not as impressed as I somehow imagined I might be .. not a big deal though .. I'm not so tied up in the southern lifestyle that I can't eventually one day leave.
I don't know what your talking about, I was IN East Texas earlier this month, and the littering was at a minimum. There are signs posted to and fro about hefty fines for highway littering.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm just a bit curious. It seems that everyone on this board is so anti-southern. Did some of these ppl have bad experiences or is it just hate for the sake of hate. It seems that every other post is about the south and how bad it is. "They're rednecks" "They still practice segregation", "they are all racist" "they are not educated" "they don't know how to talk", "the north one get over it" the reasons go on and on an on. Can I ask what's up?
A better question is why is the South so defensive and in denial about the legacy they've earned. After all, the state of South Carolina repeatedly voted for a racist Senator who led the opposition against Civil Rights well into the 2000's. David Duke, a former Grand Wizard of the KKK, was elected to a state senator position in Louisiana. The South is mostly comprised of Evangelicals which tend to be conservative Christians who don't embrace or show tolerance toward homosexuals and people of other faiths. Then there is the legacy of slavery and the Civil War stance. I could go on but why would a Southerner ask this question? Isn't the answer obvious????

I'm a Californian who lived in the South (Memphis, Dallas, Jackson, OKC). Without going into detail, the issue these cities all had in common was their lack of consideration for minorities, foreigners, people of other religions, and homosexuals. I never heard people refer to gays as f%gs so casually. I often heard the word N4#$ thrown around and the use of the word camel jockey and sand $#$3 was used to describe Arabs. No one would correct these people and they had no fear of making comments like that. And these were doctors and other educated professionals. It just demonstrated how backward the culture is in these cities. Even something as simple as a vegetarian would draw the angst of the local population as if the person was just a weirdo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies