Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Eating grits. Look no further.

It is like eating air. I want to fit in when I'm in the South so yeah I'll order grits, but come on give me a little flavor. I ended up adding so much sugar and butter I was actually eating a potato bisque.

I mean granted it's more than made up for by the best bbq pork on the planet especially that Carolina perfect mix of vinegar and hot mustard, but until we as a nation can address this grits issue and put it behind us so the healing can begin I submit a rift will always exist between those who eat grits and those who wonder why the hell anyone would. It runs deeper than politics, economics, and racism, grits are a veritable fissure in even this melting pot US heterogeneous culture.

Fix it, now.
I'm not even from the South and I LOVE grits. Best way I've ever had them was the same way my grandmother used to fix cornmeal - cook the night before, chill in a loaf pan, slice and fry, serve with gravy. YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Iced tea with lots of sugar.....

Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
Why I hate the South?

1. Y'all is not a word
2. Football is not as important as people think it is
3. NASCAR is not a sport
4. Phoney Christians. you say you go to church, but haven't learned a damn thing.
5. Humidity

Why I love the south

1. No Yankees.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Dude, I don't even like grits lol. Give me bacon and eggs and I'm good. Or give me oatmeal.
I live in the south and the one thing I miss....

Scrapple

Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Iced tea with lots of sugar.....
I'll take my tea with NO sugar, please. I actually like the taste of the tea!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
The south is very "Christian" which, in real world terms, means they are very intolerant. I dont like intolerance, and I despise racism. No matter how much the south likes to think they are on equal terms, when, as an entire block they continue to vote in favor of intolerance (i.e., Republicans) then I will try and reserve my disrespect for their politics (in such stereotypical terms as this entire thread) to myself, as I realize a good many southerners do vote Democratic, and that many fine Republicans do exist in the south. But a true progressive independent in the south? Please.

But all states have their drawbacks, in the north, in the south, and in the East and West. Southern hospitality and charm is oft times second to none in the U.S., and the feeling of wanting to help others is most often sincere. I like that part of the south. I've been made to feel welcome in the south when I felt different than those around me. I can only hope to return the favor if I ever get the chance.

With that said, in regards to their POLITICS (i.e. this is a POLITICAL forum) I thought you might get a laugh from this. If you are southern, please, this is called COMEDY, and there are stupid people EVERYWHERE.

It was a funny bit by Bill Maher.
The eventual winner? Arizona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIzpwhu7pGc

Last edited by odanny; 07-17-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I didnt exactly mean to come off arrogant. How is my question any different than anyone saying "Why do people hate California so much" or asking why ppl hate any other area? I was just curious.
We are over-educated? Heads filled with too many theories?

Let's go all the way back--Thomas Jefferson--what did he really mean--about anything and he kept slaves and he had a mistress/children with the mistress who was a slave.
We are still having Tea Parties today.

I'd say it's time to take a magnifying glass to the west and southwest, but it will always come back to Thomas Jefferson.

I know of a place in the desert between LA and Las Vegas--a nice blend of people there--relatively sane. It should be studied and emulated.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The south is very "Christian" which, in real world terms, means they are very intolerant. I dont like intolerance, and I despise racism. No matter how much the south likes to think they are on equal terms, when, as an entire block they continue to vote in favor of intolerance (i.e., Republicans) then I will try and reserve my disrespect for their politics (in such stereotypical terms as this entire thread) to myself, as I realize a good many southerners do vote Democratic, and that many fine Republicans do exist in the south. But a true progressive independent in the south? Please.
If you want a one party state, move to North Korea or Iran. Otherwise let people vote the way they want to. Hating a place, whether it be California or the South as a whole just for the way they vote is pretty damn pathetic.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Eating grits. Look no further.

It is like eating air. I want to fit in when I'm in the South so yeah I'll order grits, but come on give me a little flavor. I ended up adding so much sugar and butter I was actually eating a potato bisque.

I mean granted it's more than made up for by the best bbq pork on the planet especially that Carolina perfect mix of vinegar and hot mustard, but until we as a nation can address this grits issue and put it behind us so the healing can begin I submit a rift will always exist between those who eat grits and those who wonder why the hell anyone would. It runs deeper than politics, economics, and racism, grits are a veritable fissure in even this melting pot US heterogeneous culture.

Fix it, now.
Those grits weren't cooked in water with enough salt.
?Polenta--that is nouveau cuisine--actually grits--corn. We charge extra for that. Next time you are in ATL go to the Flying Biscuit.

Best grits--go to the Waffle House.

How some people were nourished on cream of wheat and lived to speak of it--I don't know.

Hot sauce--that is the answer. Put enough hot sauce on anything and you no longer care.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Why I hate the South?

2. Football is not as important as people think it is
Blasphemy!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies