Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
You also don't know the health condition of the woman the OP has written about. If she is in her 50s (and that could mean 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 as well as 50 years old) and she is overweight, how do you know that she is in good enough physical condition to do the things you say you do? We are NOT ALL PHYSICALLY CREATED EQUAL.

With all due respect, you sound very,very bitter about your extremely hard work experiences. .
Actually we do know the health condition of this supposed women because the OP stated, on more than one occasion I believe that she is "able-bodied" this would mean she is in fact in a state that she can work. And sadly, most 50 plus women in the U.S are overweight.

And I am sorry but I have to say if I was unemployed for 93 plus weeks I would think that she could have atleast started a walking program or some type of fitness regiment to improve her health, it wasn't like she was lacking time. She could have walked off a lot of her excess weight and lowered her blood pressure and used this time of unemployment for self improvement! And don't say she couldn't afford a gym, it doesn't take any money to get out and walk or jog.

Also, the poster Magg32 does not sound bitter at all. In fact she sounded proud of herself that she worked, and hard, and good for her! I don't know where yu see that she sounded 'very, very bitter" that is not true. Just keeping it real.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM

640 posts, read 388,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I think the OP is the person in question, or she's made up.
Good point.

This person must be very, very lazy. Eating Twinkies and watching soaps all day she will NEVER find a job. She must have wasted those 93 weeks then ran out the last few days looking for something.

Babysitting, housecleaning, yardwork, all things already suggested would bring in at least SOME money.

What employer will want to hire someone who has gone through 93 weeks of unemployment and wants social services to pick up where unemployment left off?
Seems to me that some folks just cannot accept the fact that anyone could be in such dire circumstances without being lazy ! What's the matter? Is such a scenario just too frightening for you? Can't deal with the thought that such a thing could happen to someone who is doing their best yet still not able to survive in our society? You know, with attitudes like yours, which seems to me to be ENORMOUSLY FEARFUL that your world is not the same as you have convinced yourself it is, how would such a woman get a job? She's overweight. That's true for a lot of people who have very little money; they have to buy the cheap high-calorie foods to survive. Or maybe she has a thyroid condition she doesn't know about because she doesn't have health insurance and can't go to the doctor? Huh?

How many people would want to hire a woman in her 50s who has never had children to be a babysitter? I wouldn't. If the woman didn't have some sort of formal edcuation in child-rearing and never had children of her own, I wouldn't want to leave my children with her. As for yard work, even though you folks seem to DENY THE REALITY OF AGING, it might be difficult for a 50-something year old woman to compete with the neighborhood kids for yard work. If I had a choice between hiring the kid down the street or a 50-something year old woman to do yard work, it would be the kid in a minute. Some people may have concerns that a 50-something year old woman would have a stroke or some other health issue when doing yard work out in the HOT SUMMER SUN.

Again, with all due respect, it's amazing that so many here are offering such absurd suggestions.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Seems to me that some folks just cannot accept the fact that anyone could be in such dire circumstances without being lazy ! What's the matter? Is such a scenario just too frightening for you? Can't deal with the thought that such a thing could happen to someone who is doing their best yet still not able to survive in our society? You know, with attitudes like yours, which seems to me to be ENORMOUSLY FEARFUL that your world is not the same as you have convinced yourself it is, how would such a woman get a job? She's overweight. That's true for a lot of people who have very little money; they have to buy the cheap high-calorie foods to survive. Or maybe she has a thyroid condition she doesn't know about because she doesn't have health insurance and can't go to the doctor? Huh?

How many people would want to hire a woman in her 50s who has never had children to be a babysitter? I wouldn't. If the woman didn't have some sort of formal edcuation in child-rearing and never had children of her own, I wouldn't want to leave my children with her. As for yard work, even though you folks seem to DENY THE REALITY OF AGING, it might be difficult for a 50-something year old woman to compete with the neighborhood kids for yard work. If I had a choice between hiring the kid down the street or a 50-something year old woman to do yard work, it would be the kid in a minute. Some people may have concerns that a 50-something year old woman would have a stroke or some other health issue when doing yard work out in the HOT SUMMER SUN.

Again, with all due respect, it's amazing that so many here are offering such absurd suggestions.
You could PM the OP and mail the gal a check ot two.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,126 times
I want to help your friend out. Which state does she live in? Maybe I can hire her to help me take care of some errands and do some odds and ends. Its too bad she is a White woman. I am serious. If she was born a minority or if she was an illegal Mexican , she'll get assistance from the government even before she has to ask.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Classic! I love it!
But if I was the OP, or the woman in need I wouldn't hold my breath!!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I want to help your friend out. Which state does she live in? Maybe I can hire her to help me take care of some errands and do some odds and ends. Its too bad she is a White woman. I am serious. If she was born a minority or if she was an illegal Mexican , she'll get assistance from the government even before she has to ask.
I think you are right.....and she can not go tan with the new extra tax....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Actually we do know the health condition of this supposed women because the OP stated, on more than one occasion I believe that she is "able-bodied" this would mean she is in fact in a state that she can work. And sadly, most 50 plus women in the U.S are overweight.

And I am sorry but I have to say if I was unemployed for 93 plus weeks I would think that she could have atleast started a walking program or some type of fitness regiment to improve her health, it wasn't like she was lacking time. She could have walked off a lot of her excess weight and lowered her blood pressure and used this time of unemployment for self improvement! And don't say she couldn't afford a gym, it doesn't take any money to get out and walk or jog.

Also, the poster Magg32 does not sound bitter at all. In fact she sounded proud of herself that she worked, and hard, and good for her! I don't know where yu see that she sounded 'very, very bitter" that is not true. Just keeping it real.
You have a point about exercising being free and she could have done that while being unemployed. Additionally, I would add, how would this woman know if she is healthy enough for some types of employment? I would think that if she has been unemployed for such a long time that she most likely does not have health insurance, which would make it hard for her to get good medical care. For the most part people start having health problems related to age in their 50s, so it's necessary to be able to have a good physical exam with your doctor at least yearly. I think these kinds of things would also be of concern to many employers........which leads to age discrimination. Illegal, but it happens every day. Why would someone hire a 50-something year old woman if they had an option to hire a 20-something college kid, or 25-year old woman, or 30-year old woman, etc.?

Sorry, but I still think maggie sounded bitter and harsh. A lot of people who have had to work at such hard physical labor for many years wish something better for other people because they know the toll it takes on them physically, if nothing else. Kness wear out, feet get tire, swelling ankles for women is a problem, eyes grow dim, cataracks, arthritis, back problems, on and on and on. Our bodies were not meant to be able to endure such wear and tear forever. And I still find it very hard to believe that a 70 year old woman is on her feet 8 hours a day, carrying heavy trays of food to people. That's simply amazing!

We still haven't determined what state/city this woman is in?
Has she tried Craigslist?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
So could you. However, the question is how does this woman survive in our society now? Are you willing to send a check each month, or week, for her survival?

This is a serious problem in our society. The baby boom generation is aging quickly. Do you want people dying in our streets from starvation? How are we going to deal with this problem of many elderly people without any means of support?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
So could you. However, the question is how does this woman survive in our society now? Are you willing to send a check each month, or week, for her survival?

This is a serious problem in our society. The baby boom generation is aging quickly. Do you want people dying in our streets from starvation? How are we going to deal with this problem of many elderly people without any means of support?
You are correct. Wake up time for boomers. They spent their way to oblivion during their earning years and now have nothing left to retire on.

This woman in her 50's has $30+ dollars to her name. Well she still has a decade or so to go before SS kicks in and that certainly won't cover retirement.

Multiply her situation by a few tens of millions and this is the scenario we are looking at in the next 5-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies